Should I Reschedule Due to Hurricanes?

GoatMouthB

On December 9th, we leave Miami for St. Maarten, San Juan, and Nassau. We planned on active excursions (snorkeling, kayaking, horseback riding) while in the ports, and then hopefully have time to shop and eat.

We only have a small ($200) deposit on our cruise. The balance is due in one week. Because the hurricanes in the Atlantic are/ have devastated these areas, should we reschedule our cruise for a more southerly/ westerly destination and lose the deposit, but will not have to deal with being disappointed when visiting a leveled country. We are sailing with MSC. There are other cruise lines leaving around the same time for Aruba and Mexico. Will the cruise line alter our destinations, expect the devastated areas to be 'kinda' up and running 'enough' to pacify cruisers, or cancel the cruise. It's three months away, but with us having to pay our balance in one week, if it's more wise to pick another destination area, we will.

Any suggestions?

Your cruise will go on as planned...might not go to St. Maarten, but the cruise line reserves the right to change or cancel ANY port at any time for any reason....it's in your cruise contract that you agree to when you pay your fare. December is NOT "hurricane season", by the way.

If you want to try for other ports...certainly make a change. But just know there are no guarantees about where you will go.

On December 9th, we leave Miami for St. Maarten, San Juan, and Nassau. We planned on active excursions (snorkeling, kayaking, horseback riding) while in the ports, and then hopefully have time to shop and eat.

We only have a small ($200) deposit on our cruise. The balance is due in one week. Because the hurricanes in the Atlantic are/ have devastated these areas, should we reschedule our cruise for a more southerly/ westerly destination and lose the deposit, but will not have to deal with being disappointed when visiting a leveled country. We are sailing with MSC. There are other cruise lines leaving around the same time for Aruba and Mexico. Will the cruise line alter our destinations, expect the devastated areas to be 'kinda' up and running 'enough' to pacify cruisers, or cancel the cruise. It's three months away, but with us having to pay our balance in one week, if it's more wise to pick another destination area, we will.

Any suggestions?

The cruise will not be cancelled - rather redirected to other ports. If your primary reason is for shore excursion activities rather that the ship itself, then if you have time to reschedule shore excursion activities on another cruise, I recommend you cancel and book a southern or western Caribbean cruise.

MSC isn't going to stop at ports where the infrastructure to support excursions still needs rebuilding. Even a pristine beach needs infrastructure for tourists - restrooms, refreshment establishments, facilities to moor a ship or at least to launch tenders. Most likely your sailing will go on as scheduled but with a substantially revised itinerary.

You have to decide what you want out of this voyage. If you wanted specifically to visit these ports and instead will just re-visit places you've been to already then you may want to cancel. If you need a vacation and change of scenery than you might keep your booking. At this late date you won't have much cabin choice if you make a new booking.

Given the level of destruction on some islands it will take them quite some time to even rebuild shelter for their citizens.

Thank you to everyone that has replied.

This is our first cruise and our first time to Florida/ the Caribbean, so we were excited to do just about anything and everything. St. Maarten appealed to us the most, but it seems like the most likely to no longer be an option. Personally, I wanted to go to a destination that was furthest from the Florida shore, but what we did there didn't matter much to me. My husband's main interest was physically active shore excursions.

Upon looking for a replacement cruise, you're right-- the room options aren't that great and I really loved our room on our original cruise, so I think we will stick with our original cruise just so I'm not miserable every time I sleep/ shower.

Here is a different perspective.

I suspect others will be cancelling. And I suspect that bookings will be slow.

There is also the small issue of any health related issues on any of the impacted islands.

If we were booked, given what has just happened, we would definately take a chance and cancel our booking.

We would keep an eye on the situation and then rebook the same or another cruise inside the final payment window when prices typically come down. Early Dec is always a low demand period, Irma will have a negative impact on bookings-both in terms of the places to visit and the fact that many people who might otherwise cruise may be negatively impacted by Irma and choose not budget a cruise at this time.

But...we are seasoned final payment window bookers so to speak. Besides, cancelling and rebooking will give you time to consider all of your options.

While I know these destinations have been hit hard, do not count out their resourcefulness in getting things back up and running!!

I sailed to Haiti less than 3 weeks after the earthquakes hit Haiti. No, it wasn't perfect and amazing and beautiful, but it was worth going! Just for the fact that the cruise line was actually taking a ton of supplies to help out and a large amount of passengers instead of saying "This will ruin our vacation!!" used it as a way to help out.

If you are still sailing to these areas, keep that in mind. Of course everyone has a different idea of what an "active" excursion would be on a vacation, but hey, changing someones lives and helping out if these areas are still hurting might not seem vacation-like in a normal sense, but it could be very active for him! :D

This ^^^^^^^

These areas will be functional VERY quickly. They NEED the tourist dollars.

They will not be back to the way they were before or will be later, but they will be function

I was in the Virgins a few weeks after Hugo. Some things were not fully restored, but everything was up and running.

St. Martin has already sent notice that the first of the year will be the soonest, if then. Haven't heard from St. Thomas/St Johns, but they are likely to follow since their damage is extensive. They need the tourist dollars, but they need to provide for the locals first.

All that being said, I can't imagine the Cruise companies aren't going to find new itineraries. May take a take a few weeks to reorganize the itineraries as well as get the florida ports back up to speed. But I believe Sally and I will be relaxing on our mid-October cruise.

Burt