Why doesn't Royal have Date Servers on the West Coast

travelplus

I was wondering why doesn't Royal Caribbean and other cruise lines for this matter have an operations center in the Silicon Valley and one in Albuquerque New Mexico where trained agents could take over the operations?

I for one would love to work at such a reservations center and perhaps travel agents who are trained could offer their services from their agencies as overflow calls and have access to the reservations system.

Having a backup server and call center would allow Royal to still keep operations going. Also California is a great place for operations as they are three hours behind Miami and also has very good infrastructure.

With Voice Over IP you can easily transfer phones and numbers from anywhere in the world.

All Royal would need to do is begin the transition progress as soon as they get the report of the hurricane during the process the call center on the West Coast would handle rebookings, Day of Travel issues and could operate the Weather Center for Royal Caribbean.

New Mexico does not have many natural disasters and while Califoria has not had a major earthquake our data centers have been built for this.

If I had a company I would want as many backup operations as possible just in case there is a major power outage or damage due to a thunderstorm as Miami is prone to that as well.

Thoughts?

I think the OP doesn't know very much about business continuity and resilience planning....or possibly just business :)

No, RCI doesn't know anything thing about business continuity.

No remote back up servers, so they can keep operating a hurricane hit south FL. Because we know that a hurricane hitting south FL is a once in a 100 year event. :)

They have diversified call centers, need to diversify servers.

We are happy to advise that due to the shift in the path of Hurricane Irma, we no longer need to shut down our systems. All of our bookings systems including online check-in will be available for your use as normal. Thank you for your understanding and your ongoing support of Celebrity Cruises.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Personally, I'm kinda surprised that there wasn't a DR data center that they could have shifted to. With that note, I am in IT, so I am familiar with these things. Of course, now that the situation has come up, I wonder if someone at RCCL will start thinking this.

We are happy to advise that due to the shift in the path of Hurricane Irma, we no longer need to shut down our systems. All of our bookings systems including online check-in will be available for your use as normal. Thank you for your understanding and your ongoing support of Celebrity Cruises.

Good to hear, but bad for the west coast.

Only if you want costs to go up an extra $100/pp to pay those wages.

They wouldn't do that. Gotta keep the price per person per day as low as possible for the price they choose to display on their site and 3rd party TAs.

They would probably just raise gratuities and then include their IT staff and CSRs in the list of employees we "tip". :rolleyes:

Royal can't figure out how to run one website, let alone another one 2k miles away [emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Having another call center or data backup doesn't mean a second website.

Amazon doesn't have all their servers in Seattle, for instance.

A backup call center? What are they supposed to do? Train a few hundred employees in California and then tell them they are for just in case, LOL

Given that they already have call centers elsewhere that are in use, they wouldn't need to do that.

Good to hear, but bad for the west coast.

You said that and I think pacific. Took me a minute.

Royal has call centers in Oregon and Guatemala.

Exactly. I love getting the just-outside-of-Portland employees.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They might well have a DR data centre - I'd be very surprised if they didn't.

Just because they (had) opted to take the systems offline doesn't mean they didn't have the capability - possibly the expense/difficulty of cutting over to the backup centre wasn't justified by the amount of money that they'd miss out on. Especially as lots of folk will just wait a day then spend the same cash anyway.

Having the technical capability doesn't mean you HAVE to use it, just that you can if you want to.

You beat me to it, John! (Hope you're well... I wish you and Marilyn were on the Explorer with me again this year; Z isn't going.)

Jana

We booked the Mariner instead. Unfortunately, they canceled the last leg and it drops us in Barcelona instead of Miami.

We booked the Mariner instead. Unfortunately, they canceled the last leg and it drops us in Barcelona instead of Miami.

Yikes!

I originally booked a B3B on Enchantment starting TODAY! My poker-playing brother was joining me for one segment but I decided that I didn't really want to fly to Miami to go to Nassau three times and switched to Explorer leaving on the 29th.

Is there no other ship you can board in Barcelona to get home?

JJ

Yikes!

I originally booked a B3B on Enchantment starting TODAY! My poker-playing brother was joining me for one segment but I decided that I didn't really want to fly to Miami to go to Nassau three times and switched to Explorer leaving on the 29th.

Is there no other ship you can board in Barcelona to get home?

JJ

Only one option 2 days later... Carnival Horizon. A number of people are doing it but not us. We will fly home and 10 days later get on the Radiance to Alaska.