How much medical evacuation insurance for an ocean crossing

new_cruiser

When getting travel insurance, I've never thought much about the amount of medical evacuation insurance as the amounts for the insurance with the other coverages that we've wanted has always seemed like enough. Now I'm planning on taking on an ocean crossing (Japan to Alaska) where I'll be farther from land. The lowest price policies have $250,000 coverage. There are policies with half a million and a million dollars in coverage.

How much is enough?

When getting travel insurance, I've never thought much about the amount of medical evacuation insurance as the amounts for the insurance with the other coverages that we've wanted has always seemed like enough. Now I'm planning on taking on an ocean crossing (Japan to Alaska) where I'll be farther from land. The lowest price policies have $250,000 coverage. There are policies with half a million and a million dollars in coverage.

How much is enough?

I like to pick around $500,000 for evacuation. But, it's not always possible, as I also like to look at the other coverages on the same policy. Occasionally, a policy that only has $250,000 evacuation has better other (medical/dental/trip interruption/etc) coverages than the one with the $500,000 coverage.

We get a policy in addition to the standard policy.

It is called MedJet @ http://www.medjet.com

I think it is important if you are traveling places that do not have strong medical infrastructure.

If you don't go this route I would get the most possible which normally you can get $500K. Trust me it can be far more then you think and the additional cost for adding a higher plan is not very high.

Keith

I like to pick around $500,000 for evacuation. But, it's not always possible, as I also like to look at the other coverages on the same policy. Occasionally, a policy that only has $250,000 evacuation has better other (medical/dental/trip interruption/etc) coverages than the one with the $500,000 coverage.

This is our criteria as well. Amount of Medical coverage is something we always look at.

No one knows how much is enough until you need it. We usually purchase Travelex Max with $1,000,000 coverage for medical evacuation.

Imagine this scenario: you need an emergency appendectomy while on your cruise. The ship is not equipped for major surgery. If you are close enough to Japan, the ship will summon a rescue helicopter and turn the ship back towards Japan for a rendezvous. How much will the Japanese Coast Guard charge? No idea, but probably well into six figures. But at least you will be in Japan with modern hospitals. Even so, now you wish you had Medjet to transfer you to a hospital at home.

But suppose the ship is too far out from Japan. Now you are close to the Kamchatka Peninsula, the Russian Far East, sparsely populated and mostly known for volcanoes. Rescue possibilities? No clue. The ship might have to continue to the Aleutians, where there could be evac from the US Coast Guard with transfer to Anchorage.

The incremental cost for increasing to $1,000,000 evacuation coverage is relatively small compared to the potential cost of rescue at sea.

Evacuation by the US Coast Guard is free . You need insurance to get from the nearest hospital of evacuation to your home hospital. I would get Medjet assist . it will fly you home from anywhere in the world to your hospital of choice. Even will return you home when travel within 150 miles from home.

Evacuation by the US Coast Guard is free . You need insurance to get from the nearest hospital of evacuation to your home hospital. I would get Medjet assist . it will fly you home from anywhere in the world to your hospital of choice. Even will return you home when travel within 150 miles from home.

OP was talking about "ocean crossing" -- U S Coast evacuation only happens if you are in/near U S waters - and there is no other alternative - often the ship turning around to nearest port (as happened on Westerdam February Hawaii cruise about 5 hours after leaving San Diego).

I've heard of US naval vessels doing medical evacuations if close enough. I've also heard of USCG flying out to a US Carrier to refuel and proceed to do a medical evacuation. Coming across the Pacific from Japan to Alaska . There are numerous USCG bases in the Aleutian Islands.

I've heard of US naval vessels doing medical evacuations if close enough. I've also heard of USCG flying out to a US Carrier to refuel and proceed to do a medical evacuation. Coming across the Pacific from Japan to Alaska . There are numerous USCG bases in the Aleutian Islands.

I suppose there are lots of possibilities - but "...USCG flying out to a US Carrier to refuel..." is a bit of a stretch. Helicopters have limited range - 200 miles can be pushing it -- and not too many of the dozen U S carriers are likely to be conveniently positioned; and Coast Guard pilots flying fixed wing are not very likely to be qualified for carrier landings in any event.

I would recommend MedJetAssist.

MedJetAssist is wonderful because you can choose your own hospital. However it is not available at all to those over 84. And anyone over 75 must request an application and have their Dr fill out health questions. Based on that, applicant can be turned down. :(

MedJetAssist is wonderful because you can choose your own hospital. However it is not available at all to those over 84. And anyone over 75 must request an application and have their Dr fill out health questions. Based on that, applicant can be turned down. :(

While I understand that they have the option not to accept some 75s-and-over because of their health issues, I don't think they are overly stringent. I have had a membership for several years now, am now a bit past 75, with a cardiac history, and they will still allow me to renew my membership (with my cardiologist's written approval for me to travel anywhere I want to go).

There are two overlapping issues being discussed. Just for clarification, the first issue is to get someone suffering a critical medical condition off the ship while far from land and to a medical care facility/hospital. This situation is covered by travel insurance up to a certain limit. Be aware that the foreign hospital may insist on full payment (cash/credit card) on the spot. The patient (or his family) is responsible for collecting all medical records necessary for reimbursement. This is why the insurer must be called immediately. Some insurance policies allow for fronting the cash for you in this circumstance. Do you know whether yours does?

The second issue is transporting the patient from a foreign (or domestic as the case may be) hospital to a hospital of the patient's choice. This is where Medjet comes into play.

Several years ago we witnessed an evacuation when the ship was between the Cape Verde Islands and the west coast of Africa. The rescue helicopter was summoned from the Canary Islands (Spanish jurisdiction). The chopper had to stop in Africa to refuel before loading the patient. Same refueling stop on the return. How much did all this cost the patient, including emergency surgery in the Canaries? No idea. But I hope they were well insured.

The second helicopter medevac we witnessed was from the Red Sea to Jeddah in Saudi Arabia. When something like that happens, the last thing you want to worry about is the limitation of your coverage.

It would be interesting to hear from someone who has actually been through any of this. We hear from many that have an opinion, but not anyone who has actually been through it, unless I missed that post.

What occurred, what went well, what went badly, what were the final bills like, were they insured or not and for how much? And another big piece...did this put them off from cruising or traveling to foreign ports.

It would be interesting to hear from someone who has actually been through any of this. We hear from many that have an opinion, but not anyone who has actually been through it, unless I missed that post.

What occurred, what went well, what went badly, what were the final bills like, were they insured or not and for how much? And another big piece...did this put them off from cruising or traveling to foreign ports.

I agree.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

If I recall correctly, there are some real life stories in the insurance forum.

I'd appreciate links. I did search a bit in the insurance forum but didn't find them. There are a lot of hits on evacuation which are people discussing the insurance they bought rather than evacuation experiences and I couldn't come up with search terms to focus in on experiences.

We went through med evac, but not trans atlantic. Actually, middle of the ocean there are few choices, are pretty much stuck with the onboard medical team and facilities.

But on a New England/Canada cruise in fall of 14, my Mother had an issue just before we left Halifax.

She was initially treated on board, then transported to a local hospital. My Dad and I got off with her (they were 87, I was not going to leave my Dad on his own).

They were insured through the cruise line insurance, as 3rd party was very expensive.

The insurance paid the hospital bills and the onboard costs. They also paid hotel and other expenses. And cruise interrupt refund for the days not on board. And the flight home for me (my Dad flew in the med evac aircraft).

Also realize, outside the US, med bills can be VERY high. Canada is one place, if you are not Canadian, the costs are VERY high. And in many cases, your medical insurance does not cover you outside the US.

When it came to the med evac, the insurance limit was $25,000. The med evac from Halifax to DC was $29,000. Luckily the med evac company accepted the insurance payment as payment in full.

We want to clarify "evacuation" costs. By International Agreement, the various Coast Guards (and military) around the world do not charge for their services. So being air lifted off a ship (which is actually pretty rare) will not cost you anything. It is what happens after that chopper lands.....where you need to have some concern. On long Ocean Crossings there are many times when a ship is not close enough to land for any evacuation. At that point the Captain (after consulting with the ship's physician) will make a decision whether to make a special detour to a specific land mass....or just continue on to the next port (from where the ill passenger will be evacuated). In nearly all cases, there will be no medical evacuation covered by insurance until after you have been admitted to a hospital (this language is contained in most evacuation policies). How much insurance do you need? The more the better :). But few evacuations cost over $100,000 and most cost significantly less. Every few years we do hear first hand stories of very expensive evacuations....but its not the norm.

Hank