Chill full. playful. Sinful. I say offensive.

twobluecats

Yes, I'd heard rumours that Celebrity were going to sacrifice live animals every night in Eden to satisfy the bloodlust of the Satanists they are now marketing to. I guess this post will soon be removed to protect Celebrity from bad publicity but I just had to let the world know.

ahhhh hahahahahahahahahahaaaaa :'):'):'):'):')

I am certain many will not feel as I do about Celebrity’s latest promotion about the Edge and the area called Eden. However, as an Elite Plus (translate LOYAL) Customer onboard 56 days this year alone, I believe promoting their product as sinful in an effort to appeal to people is just incredibly sad and indicative of a marketing ploy gone wrong. Maybe my Celebrity is fading away into oblivion considering their target audience based on conceptual drawings also includes nobody over the age of 30. I am a huge proponent of raising the bar, setting high standards, growth, and innovation. That said, I simply don’t consider “sinful” to be something I seek or strive for when vacationing or otherwise.

I agree, words have meaning and are not just advertising incentives. Another word used inappropriately is decadent. Sorry, I don't want anything decadent.

Old news. As hcat said this has been beaten to death. Like or not it is a advertising campaign vote with your $.

May be old news to some but not to me. I am just now reading the Celebrity boards since I have not sailed with them in years and I had no clue what OP meant.

If one does not like the thread then why bother reading it and just skip over it. Whereas, to me, I am interested.

So true.

No. Chill full is wrong. It's like saying I am playing the Pokemen or going to the chill in. It's just a wrong use of the word and it almost feels like a grammatical error. Chill full is not on urbandictionary either. I am a millennial and it rubs me the wrong way.

You can correct it not being on urbandictionary. Anyone can make up a stupid definition and submit it. Someone on another board used the urbandictionary example where foodie is defined as "a douchebag who likes food" because they wanted to personally attack foodies. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Foodie

Offensive? Oh good grief. Loosen that corset Maudie, before you die of the vapours. Did you even bother to listen to what they were planning there? You're really offended that badly by an interactive space that combines relaxing, dining and entertainment in a new, modern and experiential format? Or are you simply getting your bloomers in a twist because you took those three words literally? Because we all know that advertisers ALWAYS intend every word to be taken literally. :rolleyes: Refusing to sail on a ship because of 3 words used in an ad? Unbelievable.

"Loosen the corset?" Thanks for the kind and friendly dialogue between fellow cruisers that SHOULD be found on Cruise Critic. I don't take ANY words literally. In fact, I spend every day of my professional life editing words, so I'm pretty clear on the use of of the English language. My opinion, which is all it is-and I believe I noted all would not have the same one as I-is a marketing campaign around "sin" just doesn't seem to be what I have come to expect from Celebrity. I am also clear on the concepts for the new ship- we were booked on the inaugural voyage (as we were on the Solstice class as well) until we changed it recently for a different itinerary. And, your "disbelief" in my "refusing to sail on a ship" is your own fiction, because I did not say anywhere in my post that I would refuse to sail on Edge or Celebrity in general.

All in all, we enjoy Celebrity. We do, indeed, cruise on other lines as well. We have genuine friendships outside of our cruise experiences with several Crew Members. My observation and, admitted "offense" to sin replacing modern luxury is it should be an interesting study in the impact of marketing to see how the current Celebrity Customer base embraces the shift. Obviously, I don't mean just because of the use of a few choice words in a marketing campaign, but of the overall shift in what Celebrity deems important to the cruising public.

Here's to finding your bit of happiness in today!

Hope moderators move this to avoid more EDGE congestion here.,.they did a great job consolidating the many posts . There is even a sep topic listed for EDGE along with the CELEB gen board listing...very well organized!

Can't search on my tablet or I would try to post the prior links to EDEN with the reveal videos, etc...

No new reveal dates have been released but hints are that it may cover dining,,,see EDGE boards

I am certain many will not feel as I do about Celebrity’s latest promotion about the Edge and the area called Eden. However, as an Elite Plus (translate LOYAL) Customer onboard 56 days this year alone, I believe promoting their product as sinful in an effort to appeal to people is just incredibly sad and indicative of a marketing ploy gone wrong. Maybe my Celebrity is fading away into oblivion considering their target audience based on conceptual drawings also includes nobody over the age of 30. I am a huge proponent of raising the bar, setting high standards, growth, and innovation. That said, I simply don’t consider “sinful” to be something I seek or strive for when vacationing or otherwise.

I have not seen any advertisements or promotions so I'm not offended and probably wouldn't be. The only promotion that I viewed was the Celebrity Edge Reveal. While the ship looks beautiful the only message I got was that there will be a lot of up charge venues and area's only available for suite guests. Now nothing was mentioned about this in the video but going by what Celebrity and other cruise lines have been doing by creating special venues for suite guests and adding up charge restaurants , the video just gave me that impression. I will never be able to afford a suite so it was a bit of a turn off. I could be totally wrong but that was the first impression that I got. What is interesting is that my 22 year old son who just sailed on the Anthem wants to sail on the Edge. It seems to me that however they are promoting this new class of ship is attracting a younger crowd.

Been saying this a couple of years, any real or imagined outreach to millennials is going to be a joke if they can't fix their IT problems.

LIKE!

Why doesn't this site have a damn LOVE button!

Agreed! And why isn't member-to-member messaging not available?

...it should be an interesting study in the impact of marketing to see how the current Celebrity Customer base embraces the shift... ... of the overall shift in what Celebrity deems important to the cruising public.

So true.... I love Celebrity but am noticing the shift, which IMO isn't 'by accident'.

I have not seen any advertisements or promotions so I'm not offended and probably wouldn't be. The only promotion that I viewed was the Celebrity Edge Reveal. While the ship looks beautiful the only message I got was that there will be a lot of up charge venues and area's only available for suite guests. Now nothing was mentioned about this in the video but going by what Celebrity and other cruise lines have been doing by creating special venues for suite guests and adding up charge restaurants , the video just gave me that impression. I will never be able to afford a suite so it was a bit of a turn off. I could be totally wrong but that was the first impression that I got. What is interesting is that my 22 year old son who just sailed on the Anthem wants to sail on the Edge. It seems to me that however they are promoting this new class of ship is attracting a younger crowd.

Hello I - while I Am far from 22, I cannot wait until my Edge cruise in 2020 (not booked yet)! I Am very excited to have this experience...

Others who are "more mature" may change their mind once the ships are launched for sure, yet never-the-less, it looks to be a great vessel with the innovations planned.

bon voyage

Offensive? Oh good grief. Loosen that corset Maudie, before you die of the vapours. Did you even bother to listen to what they were planning there? You're really offended that badly by an interactive space that combines relaxing, dining and entertainment in a new, modern and experiential format? Or are you simply getting your bloomers in a twist because you took those three words literally? Because we all know that advertisers ALWAYS intend every word to be taken literally. :rolleyes: Refusing to sail on a ship because of 3 words used in an ad? Unbelievable.

Where's the damn LIKE button !

This ad certainly gave me an idea of "how to dress" without offending anyone ;)

You are of course entitled to your opinion. If you are truly offended, then just don't sign up for a cruise on Edge. Problem solved. Celebrity has plenty of other ships for you which are not marketed as sinful.

Celebrity's marketing for a new ship is "Puffing". I know Celebrity's goal is to attract younger modern people to cruising. It comes down to disposable income and affordability as to why I book a cruise. I am closer to retirement than being a Millennial. It will be interesting to see if the Edge draws a younger crowd.

If the Edge comes in with an itinerary I like and with a price point I want to pay, then it is up for consideration. I am not sold on the claims by Celebrity that they are a step above some of the other mainstream lines, I found that from my Celebrity cruise last week that they are just alike the other cruises I have been on with other lines with the exception of Disney.

Puffing Law and Legal Definition. The term “puffing” refers to “extravagant claims made by sellers in order to attract buyers.” It is the exaggeration of the good points of a product, a business, real property, and the prospects for future rise in value, profits and growth.

"Loosen the corset?" Thanks for the kind and friendly dialogue between fellow cruisers that SHOULD be found on Cruise Critic. I don't take ANY words literally. In fact, I spend every day of my professional life editing words, so I'm pretty clear on the use of of the English language. My opinion, which is all it is-and I believe I noted all would not have the same one as I-is a marketing campaign around "sin" just doesn't seem to be what I have come to expect from Celebrity. I am also clear on the concepts for the new ship- we were booked on the inaugural voyage (as we were on the Solstice class as well) until we changed it recently for a different itinerary. And, your "disbelief" in my "refusing to sail on a ship" is your own fiction, because I did not say anywhere in my post that I would refuse to sail on Edge or Celebrity in general.

All in all, we enjoy Celebrity. We do, indeed, cruise on other lines as well. We have genuine friendships outside of our cruise experiences with several Crew Members. My observation and, admitted "offense" to sin replacing modern luxury is it should be an interesting study in the impact of marketing to see how the current Celebrity Customer base embraces the shift. Obviously, I don't mean just because of the use of a few choice words in a marketing campaign, but of the overall shift in what Celebrity deems important to the cruising public.

Here's to finding your bit of happiness in today!

I think that is the point. The marketing is not directed toward you. It's directed more toward millennials. Clearly they are making a ploy to capture my generation, but I don't think it will work since they just did it wrong.

Celebrity's marketing for a new ship is "Puffing". I know Celebrity's goal is to attract younger modern people to cruising. It comes down to disposable income and affordability as to why I book a cruise. I am closer to retirement than being a Millennial. It will be interesting to see if the Edge draws a younger crowd.

If the Edge comes in with an itinerary I like and with a price point I want to pay, then it is up for consideration. I am not sold on the claims by Celebrity that they are a step above some of the other mainstream lines, I found that from my Celebrity cruise last week that they are just alike the other cruises I have been on with other lines with the exception of Disney.

Puffing Law and Legal Definition. The term “puffing” refers to “extravagant claims made by sellers in order to attract buyers.” It is the exaggeration of the good points of a product, a business, real property, and the prospects for future rise in value, profits and growth.

Puffery? You know that's defense is almost never used in real life (well....maybe our orange prez does but he hasn't used that defense while under oath to the best of my knowledge). But I don't see any puffery here since there is no "extravagant claim". I just see bad marketing.

When you're finished with the Christian-bashing, you might go back and pick up on the very valid point that CruisingUS made. Mis-using a trendy idiom just makes you look like an old fogey. So the [older than millennial] Celebrity suits are trying to woo the Millennials -- and ending up looking like their parents. And who wants to go on a cruise with their parents???

Thanks.

I do agree that the marketing is just off. I cannot just be chill full :rolleyes: at how lame it is.

This kind of pandering I think will fail. Nice idea. Just poor execution.

offensive? Oh good grief. Loosen that corset maudie, before you die of the vapours. Did you even bother to listen to what they were planning there? You're really offended that badly by an interactive space that combines relaxing, dining and entertainment in a new, modern and experiential format? Or are you simply getting your bloomers in a twist because you took those three words literally? Because we all know that advertisers always intend every word to be taken literally. :rolleyes: Refusing to sail on a ship because of 3 words used in an ad? Unbelievable.

👍👍👍👍👍!!!!!

People read so much into advertising! You either are intrigue by the concept or not. I am not easily offended. Sinful to me means excess, which most people do in a cruise: On average, a person will eat in excess, drink in excess and sleep in excess (I am guilty of 1 out of 3). People read so much into it! This was beat to death when it first came out!

Regardless of what age range you are: millennials, genx, baby boomers, if you don't like the ad to the point of it been so offensive, then vote with your $$$ and sail on another ship or cruise line.

Or you can just repent as you disembark :evilsmile: