St. Maarten recovering pretty fast

pbrady

I sure hope all these cruise lines think twice about cancelling St. Maarten as a port of call so far out. I just saw a post by the jeweler we've used for over 20 years, right on Front Street, and he said their lights were on, clean-up almost complete & they can accept orders, repairs & inquiries - email at any time. In a previous post he said not to take to much in all the doom & gloom we are hearing. He was impressed with the speed of the islands recovery. The businesses are going to need the tourists & by cancelling stops in these islands until the end of the year, or some cruise lines through January, I think is a bit pessimistic and unfortunate. I have heard many times that December is a good month for them because the tourists buy gifts for the holidays.

I know someone that was suppose to do a land vacation in January and her trip has been cancelled, staying at the Sonesta Maho. Front Street is just a small section of the island. Orient beach bars and Maho resorts looked pretty damaged in video I reviewed.

I hope what you are saying is true and they are recovering well. Many islands are enduring so much loss. St Maarten is one of my favourite islands. I love the place and the people. Hopefully many of the islands can rebuild their cities, homes and establishments in a timely manner.

Not everyone goes to St Maatten to shop or just drink by the port....esp if they have been there 10 or 15 times already..

Will there be taxis with places to visit, restaurants with sanitary systems, tour boats, clean beaches and debris free waters...etc.,? And safe streets!

Might be a few shops open, but just like in San Juan Sint Maarten as well as Saint-Martin's port and air port may only be operating on emergency level and only to either evacuate people or to receive emergency supplies.

I hope I am wrong but it sadly looks like much of the island will have to be rebuilt from the ground up..

bosco

Not everyone goes to St Maatten to shop or just drink by the port....esp if they have been there 10 or 15 times already..

Will there be taxis with places to visit, restaurants with sanitary systems, tour boats, clean beaches and debris free waters...etc.,? And safe streets!

Having been there 10+ times, that is the reason WHY we now just shop, eat and drink:p It's always been a great place for that.

For what it's worth, good to hear maybe a little good news.

It is NOT just Front Street - that was just an example. Yes we have been there at least 50 times but still hope to support the recovery. For all the negative comments here ... I have seen good comments on Cruise Critic by people hoping to help support the recovery. My point was that the cruise lines are making decisions so far out, I am hoping that doesn't hinder the much needed tourism.

Recently (3 days ago) from a friend of mine in St. Maarten:

In light of all the devastating posts going around about St. Maarten, the island is making remarkable progress.

All the communities and businesses have been working together non-stop to get the wheels turning and make a difference. There has been a significant amount of clean up island wide.

Our electric company @Gebe has parts of the island up and running.

The telephone company @Telem n @Uts have gotten lines and internet working.

The banks have opened at half day hours.

Gas stations are also making progress.

Grocery stores are opening and should be at full capacity in the coming weeks.

Bars and small restaurants have opened to give normalcy as well.

Even Dominoes has opened its doors for a nice hot pizza pie!

My Magic 8 Ball says, "most likely".

Having been there 10+ times, that is the reason WHY we now just shop, eat and drink:p It's always been a great place for that.

For what it's worth, good to hear maybe a little good news.

Same here, and the nearby beach is always open. If you have been there may times what else is there to see or do? I also find that to be true of all the other caribbean islands, basically the same stuff but on a different island, but there are some where I don't get off the ship.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

I saw a news report today from St Martin and was shocked at the devastation. Not just the buildings, but the trees and vegetation. Whole hillsides which were brown from the effects of being blasted by sand and salt spray. The French government has a warship on hand and I think this is a lot to do with the outbreaks of lawlessness there. Just so sad to see. I don't expect to be calling there in late November, but we will see.

Phil

It is NOT just Front Street - that was just an example. Yes we have been there at least 50 times but still hope to support the recovery. For all the negative comments here ... I have seen good comments on Cruise Critic by people hoping to help support the recovery. My point was that the cruise lines are making decisions so far out, I am hoping that doesn't hinder the much needed tourism.

In light of all the devastating posts going around about St. Maarten, the island is making remarkable progress.

All the communities and businesses have been working together non-stop to get the wheels turning and make a difference. There has been a significant amount of clean up island wide.

I hope my comments were perceived as negative. I am happy to hear of any progress what so ever for any and all islands in the Caribbean. I just noted the area originally mentioned was Front street. I am happy to hear that they are progressing quicker than anticipated, hopefully they stay on par with their pace. Not just so tourists can visit (which I know that revenue will help them further), but so they can go back to living in their beloved island as they have before being hit by Irma.

Same here, and the nearby beach is always open. If you have been there may times what else is there to see or do? I also find that to be true of all the other caribbean islands, basically the same stuff but on a different island, but there are some where I don't get off the ship.

Happy cruising

We have found something diff to enjoy each time but not many options now...we're not due there til January so we'll see what progress is made...hate to stay on board but that's always an option ...

Our friend has a time share in a building that survived out near Maho, but has not been very optimistic about the near term,,,

We've got San Juan, St Thomas and St Maarten in March. We are budgeting extra cash to, hopefully, put in the hands of local businesses. The farthest out X goes with itinerary changes to a version of our cruise sails 12/31/17. It still has San Juan and St Thomas with St Maarten changed to St Kitts. At least for San Juan that seems a bit optimistic.

Very happy to hear that. Thank you for updating us.

I just checked the official pages for Port of St. Maarten and Princess Julianna Airport...according to the web sites both the port and the airport are closed to all but emergency relief traffic until further notice. I'm on the Eclipse in March and will go wherever X decides to go.

We're wondering how the Holland House Beach Hotel fared. We always loved cooling off in their pretty lobby with delicious pina coladas.

I just thought about them as well since they have the partnership with the webcam.

From their Facebook it sounds like they're doing okay. Apparently the fourth floor got smacked, but things are progressing.

It only means the port is open. If the port is open, then cruise lines do not have excuses to cancel stops. Berth contract must have tons of small print. It<s only business, not that the island is ready.

I feel that by going back there this year, i will only be part of a giant TV Reality Show looking at the misery of others. We might cancel.

Edited by dandee2

It only means the port is open. If the port is open, then cruise lines do not have excuses to cancel stops. Berth contract must have tons of small print. It<s only business, not that the island is ready.

I feel that by going back there this year, we will only be part of a giant TV Reality Show looking at the misery of others.

The article does address some areas other than the port. We don't got until March, though, so we can be a bit more optimistic.