It was an OK cruise.....but not for us

uktog

I just think there should be an event, simple though it might be, that acknowledges there is a difference between those who have double-digit Azamara cruises (some approaching triple digits even) and those on their first.

As a new cruiser, I am all for your being somewhere else as much as possible. :D

Seriously, I have no problem with this. Azamara should try to make everyone happy, even those who don't want to be near me. Join that club and get in line. It's very long.

We will be cruising with AZ for the first time in Oct of 2018, primarily for the great itinerary and to check some things off our bucket lists. We will have reciprocal Discoverer status by virtue of cruises on RC and X. We can be pleasant company, but will make every effort not to inflict ourselves upon any double-digit Azamara cruisers who do not wish to be seated with us. Believe me when I say that if someone does not want our company, we don't want theirs!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Lottie, I am happy for you--and Ann--that you haven't experienced "such moaners." I wish I hadn't. The top tier events should be upbeat, celebratory, and fun. Senior officers greet and serve you. There are more food choices than one can imagine. But being seated at a table with someone on his or her first Azamara cruise who complains constantly about that first cruise, telling you how awful your favorite cruise line is, simply ruins that event--at least for me. And to be seated with someone like that is, in fact, a "trying" experience for me. I don't know why people can't seem to understand that.

I have to say I am aghast at what some of you have read into what I wrote. Nowhere did I say first-timers shouldn't be "welcomed." In fact, when I encounter newcomers I do my best to introduce them to key officers and give them tips on how best to take advantage of what Azamara offers--much like someone did for Chucktown Steve as he described in his blog during his first Azamara cruise a month or two ago.

But I do think there should be some kind of gathering for the top Azamara cruisers so they can get to know each other, socialize, and easily recognize each other on future cruises. This group are the ones who have 10, 20, 40, 50+, even 80+ cruises under their belts and have shown themselves to be true Azamara loyalists.

I don't think this would be any more exclusionary than the top tier brunch or the LCV cocktail party, which no one seems to object to having. And it doesn't have to create more work for the "hard-working crew." It could be a get-together in a corner of the Living Room--much like a Perry Golf affair--where there are already bar staff for drinks and the tapas bar for nibbles. Could be hosted by the LCV host or hostess. Or the four top cruiser couples/singles could share a dinner table with the LCV host(ess) after the LCV cocktail party. Special wines or menus are not necessary. No extra effort required for the crew. We're all going to eat somewhere anyway. I've suggested this to one LCV host(ess) who was very receptive to the idea.

I just think there should be an event, simple though it might be, that acknowledges there is a difference between those who have double-digit Azamara cruises (some approaching triple digits even) and those on their first.

Being a first time cruiser on Azamara, I am looking forward to meeting fellow passengers who are experienced Azamara cruisers.

I do think it is nice when passenger/s, with the most number of days cruising on a particular cruise line, are recognised on an official occasion.

Being a first time cruiser on Azamara, I am looking forward to meeting fellow passengers who are experienced Azamara cruisers.

I do think it is nice when passenger/s, with the most number of days cruising on a particular cruise line, are recognised on an official occasion.

And we are Marion. Believe me, Azamara already recognises our loyalty with several special events. What most of us are saying is that we don't really need any more of them, especially of the elitist type that marinaro seems to be suggesting.

One of the things I love about Azamara is the way they treat ALL their guests the same, whether it's your first cruise with them.... or your fiftieth.

One of the things I love about Azamara is the way they treat ALL their guests the same, whether it's your first cruise with them.... or your fiftieth.

We have only done one Azamara cruise, but believe me it was one of our most memorable. Could have been the itinerary, but we were also treated as ‘special’ guests ( loyalty from X)

Two of the staff in particular need mentioning for their efforts. HD manager Philip spoke to me when I was looking for dairy free food at the officer’s brunch. He said he would speak to the chef to ensure I had ‘special sweets’ served in the evenings ( I had already spoken to the Maitre ‘d on the first afternoon about my dietary requirements)

Philip even sought me out, on deck, when we were sailing up the Saguenay fjord in Canada, to ensure that this had happened.

I used to go to the Living Room for a cup of tea on sea days, when my husband went to the gym. The first day I asked for Lactose Free milk, thereafter it was served without me asking. The waiter always told me it was Lactose Free milk when he served my tea.

These 2 crew personnel went out of their way to make my cruise memorable.

We will be cruising with AZ for the first time in Oct of 2018, primarily for the great itinerary and to check some things off our bucket lists. We will have reciprocal Discoverer status by virtue of cruises on RC and X. We can be pleasant company, but will make every effort not to inflict ourselves upon any double-digit Azamara cruisers who do not wish to be seated with us. Believe me when I say that if someone does not want our company, we don't want theirs!

And you will fit in to the Azamara experience like a glove because the vast majority of your fellow passengers are also pleasant and interesting company.

I have always felt that unlike many cruise lines loyalty status is far less important on Azamara. Yes there are a couple of things arranged for those who have sailed on the Royal Caribbean family of ships previously which you can attend or not as the fancy takes you.

Obviously Azamara is a different animal from RC and Celebrity but I hope you will enjoy the small ship ambience and the people you meet and am sorry that you might have got a negative vibe from this thread.

We have only done one Azamara cruise, but believe me it was one of our most memorable. Could have been the itinerary, but we were also treated as ‘special’ guests ( loyalty from X)

I think the point being made by many is that everyone is treated as a 'special' guest, regardless of your loyalty with Azamara or across the brands. It’s just the way they are on the ship.

Phil

We too are newcomers to this cruise line going on the Journey in March. I spent a long time researching and know that the shower is tiny and entertainment is lacking compared to the larger ships that we have been on before but I loved the reviews that were shown on this forum. Please dont tell me I am going to regret booking this cruise. We have been on 2 Silverseas Cruises which were excellent and am hoping we get the same atmosphere we had on the Journey.

Azamara is definitely not Silversea. Azamara is a premium cruise company and as such it is much appreciated. Silversea is in the luxury segment not on the premium. The problem comes now because Azamara has increased the prices without increasing the quality of their product. Who ever is deciding about those prices seems to believe that Azamara can compete on the luxury segment just by increasing their prices. This is creating disappointment within the Azamara customers who are not willing to pay much more for the same product. At the same time is creating dissatisfaction within new customers, who think would get a better product for the amount of money paid but that is not the case. Time will tell if the marketing strategy from Azamara is a good one or not.

I think the point being made by many is that everyone is treated as a 'special' guest, regardless of your loyalty with Azamara or across the brands. It’s just the way they are on the ship.

Phil

I think that as a CC member...we are ALL fortunate...that we have the $$ and the time to take a cruise at all. I know I feel that way! We are on a ship together..to have a great vacation/trip/cruise and hopefully enjoy the company of others. What is your "status"??? on AZ/X/RCCL??? who cares???? I certainly don't!!!...and I think that most of my CC buddies don't care either!!! Please...can you not just enjoy the fact that you are lucky enough to cruise!!! I think that Phil and I agree on that? LuAnn

And you will fit in to the Azamara experience like a glove because the vast majority of your fellow passengers are also pleasant and interesting company.

I have always felt that unlike many cruise lines loyalty status is far less important on Azamara. Yes there are a couple of things arranged for those who have sailed on the Royal Caribbean family of ships previously which you can attend or not as the fancy takes you.

Obviously Azamara is a different animal from RC and Celebrity but I hope you will enjoy the small ship ambience and the people you meet and am sorry that you might have got a negative vibe from this thread.

Everything I have read up until this thread seemed so welcoming, without regard to social class or cruise status. We have avoided the Diamond and Suite lounges on past cruises, except to grab a quick coffee or snack, because of a few "lounge lizards" who seemed to lay in wait for a friendly face who they can impress with their status and many cruise exploits.

We're very much looking forward to a wonderful new cruise experience and an opportunity to meet new people. I'm so hoping that we encounter congenial and welcoming Azamara veterans, as I know they have lots of valuable tips to share. We will make every effort to politely remove ourselves from the snooty one-uppers.

I tell lies about status,also if asked how much did you pay :) do the same thing

That’s an interesting tactic. I just politely inform the person I’m speaking to that I don’t talk about the amount paid.

No issue discussing status, it’s merely a recognition program instituted by corporations to improve their bottom line through loyalty and repeat cruising. Big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We just say "more than our children like giving we are spending their inheritance" when asked how many cruises.

I love the fact that Azamara don't provide badges showing status as other lines do!

We do have a lot of Azamara cruises under her belt but always opt for vagueness when asked about our cruising history. It makes a great platform for lovely conversations with cruisers without any perceptions getting in the way.

Everything I have read up until this thread seemed so welcoming, without regard to social class or cruise status. We have avoided the Diamond and Suite lounges on past cruises, except to grab a quick coffee or snack, because of a few "lounge lizards" who seemed to lay in wait for a friendly face who they can impress with their status and many cruise exploits.

I’ve only done one Royal cruise with access to the Suite Lounge and restaurant. From my observation it’s made even worse by the Pinnacle badges. I’ve never got why people wear those except to brag. I spend quite a bit of time on the Celebrity board and tire of “the suite life” commentary and oh how wonderfully you are treated. It’s why I like Azamara and coming here. No DYKWIA issues here or on the ship. Well, there are a few frequent cruisers on Azamara like it, but with no Suite Lounge to mix in you can avoid it once you’ve worked them out!

Phil

I’ve only done one Royal cruise with access to the Suite Lounge and restaurant. From my observation it’s made even worse by the Pinnacle badges. I’ve never got why people wear those except to brag. I spend quite a bit of time on the Celebrity board and tire of “the suite life” commentary and oh how wonderfully you are treated. It’s why I like Azamara and coming here. No DYKWIA issues here or on the ship. Well, there are a few frequent cruisers on Azamara like it, but with no Suite Lounge to mix in you can avoid it once you’ve worked them out!

Phil

Actually on the cruise I did this review on we spotted at least two Pinnacle Badge wearers who wore them all the time. I'd like to thank them for giving me such visible "ones to avoid" clues. I've no idea if they fell in the "it's just ok" group, I didn't stop to find out!

I agree the suite life bragging and "it makes me feel special" line on the Celebrity board is just so nauseating these days it's again giving me ones to avoid hints.

To new Azamara cruisers, one thing you have to do is give the onboard staff clues as to your likes and dislikes and anything you would like different. The staff are brilliant but they are not mind readers. I saw comments that repeat guests seemed to get better attention. I think maybe because the crew are so brilliant at remembering everyone who has been onboard before they drop back into immediately reflecting your previous likes and dislikes. So my suggestion is engage particularly with the waiters and bar staff right from your first moment after embarkation and you too should be able to feel special verhvery soon.