Princess "Pricing CON"

Michael Hague

I was trying tobook a cruise with my grandchildren for the half term break next year May 2018 after receiving an e-mail direct from Princess cruises offering children at £99.00 each and special prices for Adults, effective between 17th and 25th September. I must point out WE HAVE NOT YET TRAVELLED so any reference orratings are purely down to the cruise line Princess. I had been quoted pricesby my travel agent at 4pm on Monday 20th September and just before 4pm gave her all of our personal details, Passport numbers, Captains Table membership numbers etc and even gave our CREDIT CARD DETAILS to go ahead and book the cruise. We were booking 2 Balcony cabins 1 for 2 Adults and 2 children and 1 for 3 Adults the quoted prices were £2296 for the 4 berth and £2076 for the 3 berth. The lady had worked really hard as I had received prices from other agents and she was so helpful we decided to book with her. She explained she had not had a break and was going on her lunch but would call back around 5pm with the details and confirmation she had even given us the cabin numbers we had chosen as she was on the live system. We did not get a call until around 5.35 when she apologised and said that she could no longer do the deal as PRINCESS had increased its prices including increasing the 3rd Adult from £99t o £299 and the 2 children from £99.00 to £299.00. At that point I was furious so I told her to forget it. The following day we had explained to our 2 Grandchildren who are both Autistic that we were no longer going on the ship we had all watched on numerous you tube videos and they both became quite upset -they had loved the look of the ship and only wanted to go on that one. My wife told me to go ahead and book at the increased price, so rather than bother the lady as I felt embarrassed, I contacted our second best cost by only a few pounds. However, when we then tried to book the cruise (whilst on livebookings) we were told that although they had cabins suitable for 3 people they were holding them for 4 people to book and therefore forced us into an even higher bracket of a Premium Balcony rather than a standard balcony. Overall it cost us over £400.00 more but we went ahead and booked. I then wrote to Princess who returned my request for some sort of compensation by way of "on board spend or up grade cabin" with a complete REFUSAL of anything. So I sent a reply expressing my total disbelief in the attitude given this was SALE PROMOTION and only 3 days after it had started. I was then advised they were sending my complaint on the "Guest Relations". They also replied with details regarding there systems and live prices stating theycan vary at any time and referred me to there terms and conditions. I am totally disgusted with the attitude of Princess and have lost all loyalty and faith in them as a cruise line - they simply have no concerns other than"The best possible prices they can get" for every single cruiser.They are thoughtless, selfish and uncaring in every reply sent to me and once this cruise is over we shall NEVER CRUISE WITH THEM AGAIN. I could not have put my justified complaint in any more detail as per my review and I even gave the names of the staff to speak to in both Agents who would completely verify my story and complaint as TOTALLY TRUE - without any exaggeration. I am a man of principles and believe me I pointed out to them all they had to offer to makeus feel better was an on-board "Gesture of Goodwill". Instead we got an offer of ABSOLUTELY NOTHING AT ALL. Since writing I was again contacted by Guest Relations who said they wished to speak with me personally - I honestly thought that this time they were going to make a gesture. A lovely polite lady asked me to go through the whole experience again after which point she said that it was more personal to speak about issues rather just her send an e-mail. Then after nearly 25 more minutes of my time she said although she would love to offer some sort of on board gesture, her hands were tied. She reminded me that loyalty meant everything to Princess and that they valued our customer, but quite simply - if they were not offering WHAT WAS THE POINT OF THE CALL.

All it has done is anger me even more as initially it raised my hopes of a possible kind gesture - NO WAY - nothing coming forward from Princess whatsoever. My thoughts have not therefore changed - this next cruise with them will be our last and its back to Royal Caribbean.

Edited by Michael Hague
spelling check and further information

She had not had a lunch break and knew it would take a while to go through on live so asked if she could go and call back - no one expected Princess to pull its promotion prices between 4pm and 5pm that day after only 3 days - but yes you are correct perhaps she could have met me part way but I was so annoyed that I told her to cancel.

Just reposted as Princess contacted me again - thought they were going to offer a gesture but sadly nothing at all just reassurance that they value our custom.

Thank you reading my review

Regards,

Mike

You've mentioned the dreaded "compensation" word and or implied it many times so be prepared to get carved up on here. But if I was to be a little harsh then why didn't you cancel. Plenty of other fish in the sea so to speak.

I hope by the time you cruise you'll put this behind you and just have a great family holiday. Other than principle the amount you are concerned about is peanuts in the scheme of things and the fact you are about to treat your Grandkids to something special. Just worry about having a great time is my advice for what it's worth.

I'm sorry this happened to you, I can understand you all being upset :( I think that Princess, as with other cruise lines/hotels etc, only have a certain number of places on offer at the sale rate. Once those are gone it is back up to the usual price.

You've mentioned the dreaded "compensation" word and or implied it many times so be prepared to get carved up on here. But if I was to be a little harsh then why didn't you cancel. Plenty of other fish in the sea so to speak.

I hope by the time you cruise you'll put this behind you and just have a great family holiday. Other than principle the amount you are concerned about is peanuts in the scheme of things and the fact you are about to treat your Grandkids to something special. Just worry about having a great time is my advice for what it's worth.

The OP would lose the deposit if they cancel, that could be a significant amount of money with so many people travelling.

Thanks for your kind comments - I could understand that if they said they had no 3 berth cabins left - but the Agent was told that they were holding them to sell to 4 people - wow that would get them another £199.00 for the 4th person. Clearly Princess desperately need the funds

Thanks anyway

Mike

The OP would lose the deposit if they cancel, that could be a significant amount of money with so many people travelling.

I stand corrected but the Princess cruises I've been on I think had no loss of any payment if cancellation was 80 days or more before the cruise. The TA might charge a small cancellation fee but probably not if another booking was made with them.

It is unfortunate that all cruise lines (and airlines for that matter) change their prices VERY regularly. If they sell cabins/seat quicker than anticipated then the price goes up, more slowly then the price goes down.

It really can be minute-by-minute. You appear to have been unfortunate but his could just as easily have happened with Royal Caribbean or any other cruise line.

I am not defending Princess, just saying they are the same as any other line in this respect.

As for trying to make as much money as they can, well, yes that is how business works. They have a duty to their shareholders to maximise return. If they don't then they don't stay in business for long.

I fully understand how this can leave a bitter taste in the mouth but you really have to try and move on and don't let it spoil your actual holiday. At the end of it you can follow through with your intention of not using Princess again. I honestly don;t think they (or any other line) would care too much though, as they will just find someone else to fill their cabins. But I'm sure it will make you feel better knowing you aren't giving them any more of your heard-earned cash.

I stand corrected but the Princess cruises I've been on I think had no loss of any payment if cancellation was 80 days or more before the cruise. The TA might charge a small cancellation fee but probably not if another booking was made with them.

I the UK there is always a non-refundable deposit (usually £50 per person)

We were booking 2 Balcony cabins 1 for 2 Adults and 2 children and 1 for 3 Adults the quoted prices were £2296 for the 4 berth and £2076 for the 3 berth. The lady had worked really hard as I had received prices from other agents and she was so helpful we decided to book with her. She explained she had not had a break and was going on her lunch but would call back around 5pm with the details and confirmation she had even given us the cabin numbers we had chosen as she was on the live system. We did not get a call until around 5.35 when she apologised and said that she could no longer do the deal as PRINCESS had increased its prices including increasing the 3rd Adult from £99t o £299 and the 2 children from £99.00 to £299.00.

No idea how it is in the UK. In the US, my travel agent would quote me a price, and put a 24-hour hold on the cabin,

just to avoid this situation. If he failed to do this, I would be upset. In 20 years, he hasn't failed.

The following day we had explained to our 2 Grandchildren who are both Autistic that we were no longer going on the ship we had all watched on numerous you tube videos and they both became quite upset -they had loved the look of the ship and only wanted to go on that one..

So, you had already set your grandchildrens' expectations before you even called for a quote?

No idea how it is in the UK. In the US, my travel agent would quote me a price, and put a 24-hour hold on the cabin,

just to avoid this situation. If he failed to do this, I would be upset. In 20 years, he hasn't failed.

Yes, this is how it has always worked with us in the UK too.

So, you had already set your grandchildrens' expectations before you even called for a quote?

I was curious about this point too but assumed they were looking at the ship between receiving their first quote and the agent ringing back after their "lunch" break.

Prices change every second, you are entitled to nothing.

To think otherwise is silly.

A wise man once taught me to never expect anything, that way I’d never be disappointed. And if something DID happen, it’s to be considered a pleasant surprise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Once you told Princess you'd never sail with them again they saw no eed to extend any custimer satisfaction, they lost you so why bother. Can you book online when a sale is announced then transfer to your TA after you are satisfied with the details? That's what I do here in the states but your system may be different.

I understand your frustration, sir, but that is business life. I check daily or more when I have booked a cruise (because in the states you can rebook any number of times at no cost-wish they would extend that to UK!) and in catching a lower rate, literally have it gone 4 hours later. Also do this with airline. I remember booking my much lower fare for my ticket and then going right back in minutes later to do my husband's and the lower fare was already gone!!!

So I am sorry about the situation with your TA and lunch, BUT you, probably before this experience ( and it occurs on all other lines too - I also like RCCL), didn't realize the volatility of pricing but, I am sorry to say, your TA should have. So with this nice booking, she should have put off her lunch and made the booking first. I mean that is her business, her livlihood. So I would put the "my bad" on her and not Princess.

Pooh

Prices and available cabins can change from minute-to-minute. Your reservation should have been put through at the time of the quote and availability even if the TA needed to go to lunch. It’s a shame but I think the onus is on the TA, not Princess.

Hi Poo

Thanks for your kind words and advice I agree ta partly to blame but Princess should not pull sales prices so early after starting a campaign.

Still we are looking forward to our next one

Regards

Mike :cool:

Princess does not "pull sale prices".

All promotions are capacity controlled. Your cruise simply sold out of capacity. Happens in a heartbeat as you have painfully learned.

Not to keep belaboring, but your slot in the promotion went to someone else because your TA decided that her lunch was more important than her commission.

She is the wrong kind of hungry.

Edited by fishywood

Prices and available cabins can change from minute-to-minute. Your reservation should have been put through at the time of the quote and availability even if the TA needed to go to lunch. It’s a shame but I think the onus is on the TA, not Princess.

Hi Pam I partly agree but when a cruise line commits to a sale offer it should stick with throughout the campaign which was for 8 days but changed after 3 thanks for your kind comments

Regards

Mike:)

The following day we had explained to our 2 Grandchildren who are both Autistic that we were no longer going on the ship we had all watched on numerous you tube videos and they both became quite upset -they had loved the look of the ship and only wanted to go on that one.
by May 2018 both kids could totally forget what the ship looked like in the video you showed them for one evening. Plus, Princess has multiple ships that look absolutely alike.

I never use a TA and always book directly through Princess site. That way, I get the prices I want when they are available and whenever I catch them.

Hi Itchy and Scratchy

Unfortunately our Autistic Grandchildren would have remembered exactly what the ship was like on the video that is a part of there type of Autism.

Our only other option as it covers half term in the UK was a Royal Caribbean ship Navigator of the seas they have been on Crown princess 3 times and Caribbean Princess which are sister ships to Sapphire I agree but they would have known the difference on an RC ship having also cruised with us on Legend, Independence 3 times, Adventure and Harmony of the seas.

They are the type of children that remember all features.

I agree it is probably best to guarantee your cabins by booking directly with Princess but in the UK the Agents can be considerably cheaper that the line direct.

Appreciate your taking the time to let me know

Regards

Mike

Hi Pam I partly agree but when a cruise line commits to a sale offer it should stick with throughout the campaign which was for 8 days but changed after 3 thanks for your kind comments

Regards

Mike:)

As someone mentioned earlier sales are always with a limited number of slots. You will find this in the fine print. Once the slots at a price are gone that is it. The length of a sail is the max limit only if they do not sell out.

Even within some sales the prices may vary.

Bottom line if you get an offer that you like lock it in, by a purchase or 24 hour hold. It may not be there 5 minutes later.