Too High Celebrity Cruise Prices

mcrcruiser

Yes we shop a lot to get great prices & they are out there . No they are not in the prime seasons & because we are retired we don't need to do on any cruise in high seasons . We wait to get good value & patience & looking pays off

When we aren't cruising we use our time share weeks & or take land trips using Hilton honor points for free hotel rooms

Dec 2018 we booked B2B on Oasis of the Seas Eatern & Western Caribbean from Port Canaveral . Yes we fly in from San Diego to Orlando & use our land time to see St Augustine ,visit friends & relatives for one weeks time & do the 2 7 night cruises . We were able to book those 2 cruises on Oasi for the $1700 to $1800 range for Ocean balcony cabin with ppd gratuities & OBCs . That imo is a great deal .so the deals are out there if any one is flexible enough to take advantage of them

Right now Avalon Waterways has a Danube cruise for May 2018 at about $1549 pp ,That river cruise ) the Trans Atlantic form Miami to Dublin for 15 nights on Celebrity at also great prices for ocean balcony . Adding them together along with the inexpensive air fares back from Europe to San Diego & in Europe airfares (Dublin to Vienna ) we can do that whole trip under $9000 :D:D:D

Just a comment re your Danube cruise...There has been over the last few years issues with low water meaning that the river boats sometimes remained static.

Our friends cruise was not cancelled. They were just taken by coach daily to and from their itinerary locations. Really not the floating holiday they had planned. They felt they had paid a lot of money for sleeping in a river boat that never moved. They were not with Avalon. You may wish to check what Avalon's policy is if water is too low to travel.

Just a comment re your Danube cruise...There has been over the last few years issues with low water meaning that the river boats sometimes remained static.

Our friends cruise was not cancelled. They were just taken by coach daily to and from their itinerary locations. Really not the floating holiday they had planned. They felt they had paid a lot of money for sleeping in a river boat that never moved. They were not with Avalon. You may wish to check what Avalon's policy is if water is too low to travel.

And the cruise the OP is referring to is not 7 nights. There looks to be only 3 days on the boat. Not sure if the hotel prices are included or extra

Prices are determined based on supply and demand. Royal has more ships than Celebrity, hence more supply. And for whatever reason, their ships may be more in demand overall.

Also, it appears that the poster does not take into consideration passenger size difference of the ships as well.

The more passengers you can carry, the lower the cost tends to be, overall. Economics.

bon voyage

I cannot imagine paying the current prices for a Christmas cruise, but people do. On the other hand I am considering an early December seven day Caribbean cruise. A Sky suite guarantee for $1749 or so. Not bad.

Great deals right now on southern Caribbean November and December cruises (other that holiday dates). But skip the perks. As the cabin prices have decreased, the price of the GoBetter perks have increased commensurately.

Edited by Islander500

In less than 5 minutes, I found the following Celebrity cruise deals... but y'all just keep booking those PT Barnum Perks! Meanwhile I'll be on the same ship to the same ports at the same elite lounge for UNDER 50pp/night.

The OBC is from the agency so you might even get shareholder OBC in addition! How much better of a deal do you want??? (and yes...EVERYBODY pays extra for taxes and tips)

If I hadn't just booked the entire month of December elsewhere, I'd be all OVER these deals!

9 nights Equinox on 16 Nov... $449int/ $749OV/ $749bal with $150/ $175/ $200 OBC

7 nights Equinox on 2 Dec... $449int/ $649OV/ $649bal....with $150/ $175/ $200 OBC

7 nights Equinox on 9 Dec... $449int/ $599OV/ $599bal....with $150/ $175/ $200 OBC

7 nights Equinox on 16Dec... $449int/ $499OV/ $599bal...with $1250/ $175/ $200 OBC

15 nights Eclipse on 28 Oct... $734int/ $1461OV/ $1316bal...with $75/ $75/ $75 OBC

14 nights Eclipse on 12 Nov... $799int/ $1299OV/ $1099bal...with $125/ $200/ $175 OBC

14 nights Eclipse on 26 Nov... $799int/ $1099OV/ $1099bal...with $125/ $200/ $175 OBC

11 nights Eclipse on 10 Dec.. $699int/ $749OV/ $849bal...with $150/ $125/ $150 OBC

12 nights Silhouette on 26 Nov... $549int/ $649OV/ $799bal...with $175/ $200/ $225 OBC

9 nights Silhouette on 8 Dec... $449int/ $749OV/ $749bal...with $150/ $175/ $200 OBC

Edited by teecee60

Supply and demand determines prices. If you are looking for less expensive cruises, book close to or in the off season. Caribbean cruises are usually high in January and February. Sail in November, December and March can be less expensive. This year, after the hurricanes, there are huge price drops for November and December cruises. Avoid the obvious destroyed islands like St. Martin, Dominica, and Puerto Rico. Southern islands are a good choice this year.

I used to agree with the Supply & Demand comment but I think now Celebrity artificially inflates the demand. For anyone that tracks pricing you can see the ridiculous spikes. A lot of med cruises for next year came out at reasonable prices, then they spiked to crazy amounts and now for the most part they're back to reasonable. Same with our last Hawaii cruise. Crazy spikes in pricing so you just wait and then they come back down to normal. I don't think the market is creating that, I think it's Celebrity.

When we don't like something, either the product, the price, or the supplier we simply vote with our feet.

Lots of choices out there. Why not pick one that you prefer. This is a supply and demand business. Which is why we usually book inside the final payment window on various cruise lines.

We got $140 per day per PAX including tips and no perks. Veranda CAT 2C. Eclipse March 18, 2018. For me is a good price.

this 2 weeks are Spring break and Holly week. A lot of Canadians and Europeans in this cruise.

We booked a AQ for this cruise also back in Mar 2016 while on board doing the same cruise

The prices have really increased since we booked it.

Happy cruising 🌊🛳🇺🇸🌅

When you cruise solo, yeap pretty high. But there are those times you really want to cruise C . Being a younger retiree, it’s hard for me to book last minute, I am working on it. I feel if I don’t plan well ahead, I won’t be ready to get the best of my ports.

That being said, are prices on the rise? Yes some what. Those bargains out of Miami in early December are quite the norm. I was going to grab one, but have chose to fly to PR and see what I can do to help friends on the island.

I probably could nab a better deal, if I didn’t get the itch to book so early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We booked a AQ for this cruise also back in Mar 2016 while on board doing the same cruise

The prices have really increased since we booked it.

Happy cruising 🌊🛳🇺🇸🌅

Miched Would you like to join the Roll Call of the Eclipse March 18, 2018 cruise?

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2342686

Gerardo

We are Elete + & sailed over 40 of our 79 cruises with Celebrity ;which is a really good cruise line . However , for retirees we find Celebrity prices much higher than even their parent Royal Caribbean or Holland America .

We may look at the specials that are published in the future ;but ,for 2018 we have 2 cruises booked on Royal Caribbean & one booked on Holland America . All these cruises are ocean balcony cabins including the Oasis of the Seas cruises :D

When we can get ocean balcony cabins for one week cruises for $1600 to $1800 (total cost not per person ) we must go with the above lines :D

We may cruise once more to or from Rome or Barcelona trans Atlantic ; because we want to take a Danube River cruise . The trans Atlantic cruises are reasonably priced & we will check them out when we are ready to decide :)

I find you have to price out apples to apples. I find I can find cheaper inside cabins on RC, but we always get a drink package. When we factor in the cost of that we almost always find Celebrity to be cheaper and we get a better cabin as you get to chose at least one perk with an oceanview or higher on Celebrity. Thus our drinks are included in our fare.

When you cruise solo, yeap pretty high. But there are those times you really want to cruise C . Being a younger retiree, it’s hard for me to book last minute, I am working on it. I feel if I don’t plan well ahead, I won’t be ready to get the best of my ports.

That being said, are prices on the rise? Yes some what. Those bargains out of Miami in early December are quite the norm. I was going to grab one, but have chose to fly to PR and see what I can do to help friends on the island.

I probably could nab a better deal, if I didn’t get the itch to book so early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prices can go either way. A lot depends on the itinerary. If they are fairly unique, like some of the cruises departing from Japan or a transpacific between Sydney and Vancouver, the prices tend to rise. We were on a B2B last fall from Yokohama to HK to Singapore that we booked an A2 about 22 months in advance. Prices increased by about 40% and perks went from 3 to 0! By booking that early, we had our choise of cabins and got one with the larger angled balcony for both legs.

Let's see... A retired couple that wants to cruise on the cheap? Perhaps not the current Celebrity desired demographic?

Many cheap cruises available.

May not be Celebrity's desired demographic, but Celebrity ships are filled with that exact "demographic." And they appear to have both the time and the money to go often and enjoy it greatly. :')

May not be Celebrity's desired demographic, but Celebrity ships are filled with that exact "demographic." And they appear to have both the time and the money to go often and enjoy it greatly. :')

I think the ships are filled w/ the elderly b/c most of the younger generation thinks that cruising is for old farts, which I would strongly disagree w/

I d/'t und'st'd y peeps use uness' wr't'g styles t't d't s'v m'ny key str'k's. I g'ss I'm get/g old.

Interpretation: I don't understand why people use unnecessary writing styles that don't save many key strokes. I guess I'm getting old.:loudcry: (crying)

I am in a profession that uses a lot of short hand and abbreviations, even on legal documents. even old fogies use em 2

so I don't want to write out things like b/c.

Edited by CruisingUS