I just booked my first ever cruise vacation - did I overpay?

joecruiser143

While I agree it is a question of booking at a price you feel comfortable with and accepting that there will always be those who have a better deal, it doesn't sit well if you find that you could have taken advantage of a better promotion or option but was either unaware of it or prevented. from taking up (talking about differing T&Cs). One small point to add is that a guarantee booking is usually cheaper but only 'worth' it if you are not bothered about location.

Hopefully the OP has gained some good insight here and will enjoy his cruise!

We typically cruise Jan/February on a 7 day the Caribbean. The past two years we've paid about the same for a regular balcony category. This years price was similar to last years price but only 2 perks instead of all 4. We've paid a similar fare on NCL and RCL too. I try to get it for around $2,500 but it usually ends up being closer to $3,000.

I did just rebook with a TA for the 2/11/18 Silhouette cruise and their group price was over $500 less than Celebrity or most TA's are offering. It's still very similar to what you've quoted. I'd say you got a fairly good deal.

I booked a 1B in January of 2017 for a January 2018 cruise and my price and perks are the same as yours. If you want the drink package I think it is a good deal. I took off the drink package and the $300 OBC off the cruise price and the per person rate is only $700. That is $100 a day which I think is good. I still need to add the gratuties in but still a good deal to me for a 1B. We also got $75 from our TA so this cruise costs less than our Carnival cruise on the Breeze last year.

I just booked my first ever cruise vacation. I think I received a good price compared to what's out there at the moment, but for all I know now is a very expensive time to book a cruise.

On a general basis, do you think I received a good deal? I'm pretty much looking for your immediate reaction to seeing what I paid for what I've booked.

$2600

Celebrity equinox, Leaving Miami February 10th 2018, 7 day cruise

Miami - Key West - Costa Maya - Cozumel - Grand Cayman - Miami

Two passengers

Category 2B cabin

Classic beverage package for both

$300 onboard credit

It's not horrible, but only if that is everything including trip insurance for a week long cruise. But, it sounds a bit high to me. We've been pretty successful in keeping our daily rate around $100-$135 pp per day for a balcony cabin ($100 without the perks, $135 with perks). For a February cruise to the Caribbean, I think you can do a little better. There are many agencies that will give you a third perk with no charge. We're not able to mention them here but look around at the large vendors for their offerings. Some will even have group rates that you might be able to take advantage of.

Having read about the fishy site on a number of threads' date=' I subscribed to their alerts. My personal experience has not been favorable. The fares they show on their site are oftentimes not accurate and I haven't received email notifications for months. Bottom line, I regularly (two or three times/week or more) check on pricing for my booked cruises and have benefited greatly from doing so. I have been able to capture price drops for three cruises - and in one case, was able to upgrade from a 2A cabin to a 1A to a C2 and finally a A2 cabin. I had booked the 2A cabin with Go Better perks while onboard Equinox in May. During the month of July, the fares kept dropping week by week - and I requested the cabin change each time I saw the fare had dropped. I see this as a major success since I ended up with an AQ cabin with Go Best perks for a lower cost than my original booking. If I relied on the fishy site, I would have missed a number of these fare drops - and the fare is now $800 pp higher than it was at the end of July.[/quote']

I have never relied totally on the fishy site! I do a variety of things as I posted. They are only part of the puzzle. Several others have posted this too.

I am happy that you are so successful and knowledgeable so that you get great prices. I do too, and mostly because I am constantly checking; however, I like the FS because it does let you know what prices are and have been doing. The emails are not always accurate and that has been mentioned on here many times, but the site does more than that and I have had some good luck with it for my cruises. Sorry that you relied on their emails at first, but once again it is only part of the entire picture.

Great Job Crusin’ lady!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While I agree it is a question of booking at a price you feel comfortable with and accepting that there will always be those who have a better deal, it doesn't sit well if you find that you could have taken advantage of a better promotion or option but was either unaware of it or prevented. from taking up (talking about differing T&Cs).

Hopefully the OP has gained some good insight here and will enjoy his cruise!

And that he booked in the US and not Norway where the T&Cs could be completely different to some of the price drop advice given here ;).

You didn't overpay- yes you can get a bargain, to save a few dollars, but those companies typically charge you a penalty to cancel. Also, if you see a cheaper rate offered by celebrity before final payment, Celebrity will match it. Keep checking the rates from time to time- When you consider that the vacation includes so much, room, board, entertainment, etc. $2600 is a great deal. Don't go crazy worrying that you spent a couple of dollars more then somebody else! If you took a guarantee and were above a night club to save a few dollars, you wouldn't be happy.!

Enjoy your cruise.

It's not horrible, but only if that is everything including trip insurance for a week long cruise. But, it sounds a bit high to me. We've been pretty successful in keeping our daily rate around $100-$135 pp per day for a balcony cabin ($100 without the perks, $135 with perks). For a February cruise to the Caribbean, I think you can do a little better. There are many agencies that will give you a third perk with no charge. We're not able to mention them here but look around at the large vendors for their offerings. Some will even have group rates that you might be able to take advantage of.

$100 per person per day for a balcony? I can never find those deals. Maybe after final payment on an Exciting Deals, but even then. I rarely see them.

The difficulty in using the fishy site to track price trends is it doesn't indicate what promos are in effect at each point in time.

You can’t expect any one sight to give you complete details. If that were the case, everyone would be paying to have it on their computers. Finding the best price for you takes time and work. No, the FS does not share the perks. If you book a cruise with Celebrity and then transfer to a good TA, you receive more perks. So, it is like a puzzle, but with an understanding of how different things work, you can figure out whether you think it is a good deal or not. That is all that matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just booked my first ever cruise vacation. I think I received a good price compared to what's out there at the moment, but for all I know now is a very expensive time to book a cruise.

On a general basis, do you think I received a good deal? I'm pretty much looking for your immediate reaction to seeing what I paid for what I've booked.

$2600

Celebrity equinox, Leaving Miami February 10th 2018, 7 day cruise

Miami - Key West - Costa Maya - Cozumel - Grand Cayman - Miami

Two passengers

Category 2B cabin

Classic beverage package for both

$300 onboard credit

Have you posted below if this $2600 is per person or per couple?

What about $4700 (total for 2) for 14 day cruise, aqua class, 550 OBC (no other perks).. isn't it too much?

We paid the same price for a 2 week cruise in March. We received 2 free perks and a $50 OBC. We opted for the bev package and gratituty. First time on “X” for us, have cruised RCL, NCL and Princess.

Have you posted below if this $2600 is per person or per couple?

That's what I was wondering - not sure if it was there. For two people, a good price. Per person, not IMHO.

Also was it mentioned to the OP that if you booked directly with Celebrity you have 60 days to transfer the booking to a TA (look for a big, online one) that will give you extra perks. Yes, they charge cancellation fees but they are minimal and very worth the risk IMHO. We have saved hundreds per cruise that way.

It sounds like a good price but I am going on my first X cruise in January. Ours is 7 nights on the Summit our of San Juan. It goes to St. Martin, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, Barbados and Antigua. We paid $2200 for ta veranda for two and got the same credits/perks as you. We also booked it August 2016 (yes, 2016).

Last minute Summit sailings are now going for $489 per person (Basic cruise price before port fees etc) with $225 OBC.

What a difference fourteen months and two hurricanes make!

That's what I was wondering - not sure if it was there. For two people, a good price. Per person, not IMHO.

Also was it mentioned to the OP that if you booked directly with Celebrity you have 60 days to transfer the booking to a TA (look for a big, online one) that will give you extra perks. Yes, they charge cancellation fees but they are minimal and very worth the risk IMHO. We have saved hundreds per cruise that way.

We have experienced better deals doing this.

But today booking with Celebrity UK direct beat the big box US TA deal. Seriously, all cruise deals should be treated individually and on their own merits.