Do you use the stateroom safe?

Alaynne

We always put small loose items in a zip lock baggie then in the safe. When empting the safe the last evening or morning one of us also removes the mat that is in the safe just to make sure nothing small slipped under it.

DH uses a CPAP, which I pack in a packing cube. I use the empty packing cube for everything I put in the safe. That way when packing to go home I can't accidentally forget what's in the safe cause I have to have that packing cube to repack CPAP . And I still pat down the safe to make sure nothing slipped out. Read on CC about keeping meds in safe, which I hadn't thought about but will do next time so all our "must-haves" will be in one place. I may even throw an extra phone charging cable in there.

I just really don't care about anything in my room to the point that I'd want to put it in a safe. I'd also wager I'm not going to lose something simply because I didn't put it in the safe. Hasn't happened once in the thousand plus hotel stays I've had. Maybe I'm better at keeping track of my stuff than the majority of people.

The difference is, on a ship, if you miss the ship, they will open your safe and get the contents to the port agent. So if it isn't in the safe, it will probably stay on the ship.

So passport, cell phone, money, credit cards are good to put in the safe, not to keep them from being stolen, but for easy retrieval by the purser in case the ship sails without you.

As I mentioned before, I seldom put things in the safe in hotels, and have not had any issues with several thousands of nights in hotels (almost 1700 nights in Marriotts alone).

Nope, never. I don't ever travel with anything of value. And I don't wear a watch or any sort of jewelry. Pretty much my passport would be the only thing I would be concerned about. And that I keep tucked away in an inner line compartment of my backpack. I travel with a camera, obviously, but I always have that on my body. So no need for the safe. Although a few cruises ago my friend put her passport in the safe and when she punched in her typical safe code she miss dialed and was unable to get her passport out... In a somewhat panic!

Nope, never. I don't ever travel with anything of value. And I don't wear a watch or any sort of jewelry. Pretty much my passport would be the only thing I would be concerned about. And that I keep tucked away in an inner line compartment of my backpack. I travel with a camera, obviously, but I always have that on my body. So no need for the safe. Although a few cruises ago my friend put her passport in the safe and when she punched in her typical safe code she miss dialed and was unable to get her passport out... In a somewhat panic!

No phone, credit cards, or cash? We put those in the safe even when on the ship. Never had an issue with theft, but better safe than sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The difference is, on a ship, if you miss the ship, they will open your safe and get the contents to the port agent. So if it isn't in the safe, it will probably stay on the ship.

So passport, cell phone, money, credit cards are good to put in the safe, not to keep them from being stolen, but for easy retrieval by the purser in case the ship sails without you.

As I mentioned before, I seldom put things in the safe in hotels, and have not had any issues with several thousands of nights in hotels (almost 1700 nights in Marriotts alone).

Yeah I don't leave that stuff on the ship while I'm off it, so still no reason for me personally to use the safe.

I already did. Maybe if you took time to read carefully instead of posting a sarcastic comment you would have seen that.

I thought you were joking in that post thats if you are a woman.

My wife never travels light and has that much jewelry we need a safe to put it in.

Hmmm, first cruise....no ship or itinerary known

Anyway, a safe is there, use it or not. You could keep your stuff on or under the bed or just leave your stuff anywhere in the room.

Some ports require you to take your pasport and ID with you on shore, but I have read many CC threads about being very cautious on where you carry it on your person. An idea is that you take a copy of the first page with you on shore, leaving your passport book onboard.

First time cruisers also take a lot of real, expensive jewelry, DON'T, you don't need it, take costume, and don't wear flashy jewelry on the islands, if that's where you are going.

Another first time cruiser, BIG mistake, is using your cell phone while on your cruise, again DON'T do it.

A lot of first time cruisers learn from first time mistakes.....

I thought you were joking in that post thats if you are a woman.

My wife never travels light and has that much jewelry we need a safe to put it in.

I don't bring any 'good stuff' on vacation. Not that I have much - too much danger of being stolen, broken, lost etc. plus really nowhere to wear it except on the ship. It's not a good idea to wear expensive jewelery or clothing off the ship.

Yeah I don't leave that stuff on the ship while I'm off it, so still no reason for me personally to use the safe.

I use my safe even when I'm on the ship for cell phone, credit cards, and cash. Don't really see any difference between the room steward cleaning during the day while I'm off vs night turn down during dinner. Plus we only take off the cash we need each day. Leave the rest in the safe. I do a lot of independent tours which prefer cash upon arrival so usually carry several hundred on the cruise with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I use the safe for the items I cannot lose. Wedding band when planning on swimming, passport, car keys, and wallet with all my cards except for seapass card (RCI). Everything else which is probably more valuable anyway is left in unlocked drawers, countertops, or wherever I feel like.

I see it as less of a "dont steal my stuff box" and more of a "I know that these items will be here when I get back" box.

I use the safe for the items I cannot lose. Wedding band when planning on swimming, passport, car keys, and wallet with all my cards except for seapass card (RCI). Everything else which is probably more valuable anyway is left in unlocked drawers, countertops, or wherever I feel like.

I see it as less of a "dont steal my stuff box" and more of a "I know that these items will be here when I get back" box.

Perfect way to put it. Easier to put stuff in the safe, than forget in what draw or cubby.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Well, that's really helpful information. :rolleyes: Care to elaborate?

It's similar to "I don't have health insurance. I am healthy and I have never been seriously hurt, so why have insurance when I have never needed it?"

Or: "I don't wear seat belts in my car. I have never been in an accident, so why be uncomfortable wearing one?"

Or: "I never refrigerate my perishables at home. I have never been sick because of tainted food, so why go through all the bother of opening the refrigerator door".

The thing that puzzles me about the "I refuse to use my safe" people is that it is there to be used, it is free to use, and it doesn't take much effort to protect one's valuables. To each his own, I guess. As for me, I prefer to minimize any problems in my life, not maximize them. I always use the safe, if for nothing else than knowing where my important things are at. Same as at home - my important documents, jewelry, "emergency" cash, etc. are kept in my safe.

It's similar to "I don't have health insurance. I am healthy and I have never been seriously hurt, so why have insurance when I have never needed it?"

Or: "I don't wear seat belts in my car. I have never been in an accident, so why be uncomfortable wearing one?"

Or: "I never refrigerate my perishables at home. I have never been sick because of tainted food, so why go through all the bother of opening the refrigerator door".

The thing that puzzles me about the "I refuse to use my safe" people is that it is there to be used, it is free to use, and it doesn't take much effort to protect one's valuables. To each his own, I guess. As for me, I prefer to minimize any problems in my life, not maximize them. I always use the safe, if for nothing else than knowing where my important things are at. Same as at home - my important documents, jewelry, "emergency" cash, etc. are kept in my safe.

Likewise, i honestly can't understand some people not using the safe.

Yes, ditto. We always use the safe. I've never been worried about theft, but it's a safe place for us to put things and know they are 'safe'. So, I don't have to worry about my ring rolling off a desk or being brushed aside during cleaning, and DH doesn't have to remember which pocket of which pair of shorts he put his wallet.

Always. Why not? Certainly better than hiding something valuable in the suitcase under the bed.

We do it to protect ourselves but also to protect the staff from false accusations. It is easy to forget where you let something and then wonder if you were a victim of theft. We do the same in hotels.

We are not fooling ourselves. We know it is not ideal. It is however, the best option for us.

Not going to beat a dead horse but we have kept expensive jewelry in there along with two iPads, credit cards and close to a grand in cash. We will continue to use them they may not be foolproof but a much better decision than not using one.

We always use the safe, apart from 'safe keeping' purpose, it is also 'some what fire proof' too.

I couldn't recall​ ever seeing reset code on a door to open a safe with forgotten codes.

The following is my experience with bad codes (malfunctioning codes) last month on the Crown Princess. The safe's code scrambled itself 3 times. 3 times I have to get the security supervisor to come and open it. He is only allow to come in the room with our presence. He would proceed and enter a few preset codes, then pickup the phone and talk to another person to obtain another set of codes before he can open the safe. The phone obtained codes are different every time because he had to call in all 3 times, and all 3 times he wrote it down on a piece of paper so he would not forget.

So, the access codes are not bullet proof to be 100%safe, but I am rest assured there are internal controls built into it to avoid abuse.

Frank & Annette using CC Forums mobile app