Why cruises are better than land vacations

sweetlove13

But when you been to the ports over and over and over again, and cruise ships don't add other new ports and there are many of them to add, it gets real boring going to the same old place, especially to an island that is unsafe such as Jamaica to name one place.

I also can't understand for the life of me why people think Labadee is such a great place, they only have tiny areas of beach/water to go to, its not tropical at all, other than a few palm trees and the water isn't that beautiful clear blue as you would get for instance in the Cayman Islands, not to mention that long long walk from the ship off the pier onto the island...hum...I wonder whether they have a tram?

But when you been to the ports over and over and over again, and cruise ships don't add other new ports and there are many of them to add, it gets real boring going to the same old place, especially to an island that is unsafe such as Jamaica to name one place.

I also can't understand for the life of me why people think Labadee is such a great place, they only have tiny areas of beach/water to go to, its not tropical at all, other than a few palm trees and the water isn't that beautiful clear blue as you would get for instance in the Cayman Islands, not to mention that long long walk from the ship off the pier onto the island...hum...I wonder whether they have a tram?

I completely agree with you on this point. I very much dislike being corralled up in Labadee. There is little authentic about the place. I like being able to travel around and see a country. Most of all I like interacting with the local people. The only locals at Labadee are either running around with chairs or trying to sell you something in the market place that was made in China.

Cruise expenses are more predictable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Depends on the vacation, we normally do cruises (60 plus) but also like Sandals and other resorts you can go to Sandals without a dime in your pocket, no tipping allowed, all restaurants are included, no fighting for a pool chair and swim up bars, prefer resorts for daytime, but entertainment is so much better on a RCCL cruise

Why do I have to choose one over another? Why not mix it up?

Nothing wrong with that.

Island Lady who spends approximately 70% of her "adventures" cruising in a "land yacht" (motor home around the US).

20% on cruises

10% on land adventures

Mix up ratios subject to change at any time. ;)

I completely agree with you on this point. I very much dislike being corralled up in Labadee. There is little authentic about the place. I like being able to travel around and see a country. Most of all I like interacting with the local people. The only locals at Labadee are either running around with chairs or trying to sell you something in the market place that was made in China.

Also dislike Labadee. I try to avoid cruises that go there. Unfortunately they are about ready to ruin Coco Cay like they did Labadee.

We mostly stay on the ship the rare times we go there, except to walk off early just to get some exercise.....then return to the uncrowded ship.

No way would I swim in that water either. :o

Nice to know I am not alone about how I feel about Labadee....you can't even go to a nice restaurant there as there is none...sometimes at some islands we just get off to have a nice lunch somewhere and then go right back to the ship. On the Harmony in May and now on the Oasis we didn't get off at any single island and not planning to on the Oasis....Labadee yuck....Falmouth even more yuck...Cozumel well there is a place right at the dock we can get some food and drink but why pay for chips and salsa and margarita's when we have Sabor and we have the drink package and not need to take the long walk off the ship and down to the pier to get something we can get right on the ship.

I am still hoping for a storm so we change ports and hoping to miss one too!

Depends on the vacation, we normally do cruises (60 plus) but also like Sandals and other resorts you can go to Sandals without a dime in your pocket, no tipping allowed, all restaurants are included, no fighting for a pool chair and swim up bars, prefer resorts for daytime, but entertainment is so much better on a RCCL cruise

Agree. It seems a lot of people on here don’t know about the AI experience and that the dining is typically superior to what a cruise ship can offer and the expense is almost 100% fixed. If you go to a top resort, that is. I’ve done the price comparisons many times and a luxury AI is always cheaper than a mainstream cruise for the same length of time. Difference is you pay AI all up front. I don’t go on vacation to meet people I go to spend time with my BF. But that being said we’ve met friendly people at land resorts as well as at sea. I just don’t care if it happens or not as it’s my vacation to relax and not an exercise in trying to make new friends.

If you have to fly to catch the ship, like we do, it's not the most economical way to travel. What's the difference if we have to pay for air, to say Miami, for a cruise or a land based vacation as it's the same price? We also don't have to go a day early. Since we do ocean view balconys, that leaves us over $350 per day, for two, for hotel, food, entertainment, and sight seeing. We've done this in Miami, Maui, and Seattle so we know what the costs are.

I did a dummy booking of Sandals in Montego Bay included my airfare for a week stay on the same date (all inclusive) and found that the Oasis, same week and length of time, balcony cabin and included the ultimate dining package and the ultimate beverage package, included the zoom with two devices and $200 in tips.....included the nights stay at Residence Inn Port Canaveral and the cruise Is still cheaper.

I can't understand for the life of me how people say they fighting for a chair at the pool, I always see so many empty ones.

I did a dummy booking of Sandals in Montego Bay included my airfare for a week stay on the same date (all inclusive) and found that the Oasis, same week and length of time, balcony cabin and included the ultimate dining package and the ultimate beverage package, included the zoom with two devices and $200 in tips.....included the nights stay at Residence Inn Port Canaveral and the cruise Is still cheaper.

I can't understand for the life of me how people say they fighting for a chair at the pool, I always see so many empty ones.

Sandals is not cheap, living in Florida you do not need to worry about air, like most of us do, again I do favor cruises in general, another thing we like on resorts is no hassle checking in or lines and you go the day you want and return the day you want. (looking forward to 1st Oasis cruise next year)

GeorgeC that is not true, I live in northern Florida and most of our cruises are out of FLL/MIA, sure I can drive but why drive when I can fly and its only a 50 minute flight and my airfare is more from here to FLL/MIA than what I would pay if living in NY, Boston and such, so I do pay for airfare also.

We enjoy cruising. We've visited almost all the Caribbean islands, the Baltic, Panama Canal, Mediterranean, Alaska, etc. We felt the Baltic and Mediterranean cruises gave us the best way to see a lot of cities with our kids that a land based vacation would not. I think cruising is easier on kids than a bus tour of Europe. Our kids are grown now and they have enjoyed going back to some of those cities and spending more time there. I think land based vacations have their place, but on a cruise, we can now do as little as we want or as much as we want. Hubby and I have different energy levels now so he can go off on an adventure excursion while I enjoy the quiet of the ship. We do sail for the ship now and enjoy the Allure every year. I wish Royal would find some new islands to visit, but I know the dock has to be large enough so that limits the Allure.

If they just add more cruises to Aruba, Barbados, St. Lucia, Bonaire and Curacao I be very happy. Years ago they would go to Guadeloupe, Martinique, Trinidad and Tobago, Playa del Carmen...if the dock can't accommodate larger ships I am just fine with tenders just to go and see something different.

Cruising is a way to get away from it. No need to hassle with the car rental and missing your exit. Being stuck in a hotel where the restaurants close early or there is no variety at the morning breakfast buffet.

You figure the cost per day is better on a cruise and people can do their own thing. The ports are ways to explore a new culture and you can exercise while doing so by walking in the quaint parts of the city.

On land vacations you get tired and then have to travel to see the night entertainment. On a cruise the entertainment is there. Sea days are better spent relaxing or going to a movie or attending a cooking demo.

The list goes on.

Also dislike Labadee. I try to avoid cruises that go there. Unfortunately they are about ready to ruin Coco Cay like they did Labadee.

We mostly stay on the ship the rare times we go there, except to walk off early just to get some exercise.....then return to the uncrowded ship.

No way would I swim in that water either. :o

I do the same. the only time I don't mind a cruise that is going there is if it is an eight nigher or longer. I look at the stop at Labadee as a trade off for the longer cruise.

Nice to know I am not alone about how I feel about Labadee....you can't even go to a nice restaurant there as there is none...sometimes at some islands we just get off to have a nice lunch somewhere and then go right back to the ship. On the Harmony in May and now on the Oasis we didn't get off at any single island and not planning to on the Oasis....Labadee yuck....Falmouth even more yuck...Cozumel well there is a place right at the dock we can get some food and drink but why pay for chips and salsa and margarita's when we have Sabor and we have the drink package and not need to take the long walk off the ship and down to the pier to get something we can get right on the ship.

I am still hoping for a storm so we change ports and hoping to miss one too!

This past March we did a cruise on Freedom that was supposed to stop at Labadee. The weather that day was rainy and so windy and they made an announcement that the waves were beaking over the pier and we couldn't get in. We sailed right past the place. In return we got a whole day in San Juan instead of the usual half day. I was quite content.:)

it seems like I an one of the few that likes Labadee. I have only been there twice but have enjoyed it each time. It is just a beach day, I don't expect great meals. I don't look for great meals at any other port either. Perhaps after going there a few more times I will change my mind but for now I am ok with going there. If I had to give up Labadee and go to San Juan instead, no thanks. Been to San Juan 3 times, don't care to go back.

For me, cruises are totally different than land vacations, but both are wonderful! We are not beach people, so I wouldn't book any beach-based land trip. The land trips we love are spent visiting cities.

For us, a cruise is a lovely getaway that includes being entertained and fed well, along with other modes of relaxation including reading, puzzles, card/trivia games plus music and dancing if we wish, all while being removed from phones and constant email. We do some excursions, especially if cruising with friends or family, but the destinations are not the focus.

Our city trips to major spots in the US, Europe, and Asia are our absolute favorite over the last 30+ years of travel, but they involve more research, scheduling, and a lot more walking! The thing I'm very thankful for is the opportunities we have had to see many countries and experience the history, culture, cuisine and art.

Those of us who love travel are fortunate to have seen and shared so many things outside our daily life.

Barb

Love both land and sea! A lot about why we like cruising has been mentioned except for the fact that I love being out in the middle of the ocean(a lethal environment if on your own) on a luxury liner.

I always go out the first sea day and find a place where I can look 365 degrees and see nothing but water-it's actually kind of amazing considering where we were as a species just 150 yrs ago.

Have seen many dolphins following along and jumping through the water and the dark blue color of the deep caribbean water is probably my favorite color. The air seems cleaner and easier to breathe and the morning sunrise is as beautiful as you will ever see coming over the horizon. Those are the things I probably enjoy the most about cruising although I admit to seeing fewer and fewer people enjoy a cruise in this fashion.