Norovirus onboard

arbymore

for the comment about Noro being self inflicted... absolutely not!!! the infected person uses tongs, touches an elevator button, pulls out a chair to sit .. so many chances to pick up the germ if we touch the same surface. Some of us have strong immune systems and are safer but many just need to tough the wrong spot. I actually pull out a chair at the buffet with my foot now.. anything I can do to avoid it

Omg, you know me?

No!! don't know their work colleagues but have stayed at their homes and met sister. We are meeting up with them in New York and then 2 weeks on Eclipse from Nov 12th.

I work in various hospitals around Western Sydney

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

for the comment about Noro being self inflicted... absolutely not!!! the infected person uses tongs, touches an elevator button, pulls out a chair to sit .. so many chances to pick up the germ if we touch the same surface. Some of us have strong immune systems and are safer but many just need to tough the wrong spot. I actually pull out a chair at the buffet with my foot now.. anything I can do to avoid it

We have been successful avoided this by always using the bathrooms in our cabin, never touching railings and only eating once we have used a sanitizer before picking up the silverware and eating. This means after you have touched the menu. Also sanitize after using the salt or pepper shaker. I keep it on the table so it is easier to remember.

We successfully avoided it when on Millenium which had cruise after cruise after cruise affected in the Far East, only for DH to get it on Constellation when it wasn't an apparent problem. I really resent the implication that it was his own fault

Sent from my SM-T550 using Forums mobile app

We have been successful avoided this by always using the bathrooms in our cabin, never touching railings and only eating once we have used a sanitizer before picking up the silverware and eating. This means after you have touched the menu. Also sanitize after using the salt or pepper shaker. I keep it on the table so it is easier to remember.

I also carry my own sanitizer and use it just before I start to eat.. after I have finished touching everything

Just want to point since most people think any hand sanitizer will work. Hand sanitizers need a anti-microbial called benzethonium chloride for it to be effective against Norovirus. This virus is one though son of a bitch.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Was on Solstice for the Honolulu to Sydney cruise, and were fortunate to have not contracted Norovirus. Celebrity did a wonderful job of trying to contain the outbreak, and by day 16 (once the number of cases had reached a certain threshold) crew members were serving ALL food in the OVC, thereby minimizing the contact of people to utensils and the like. No food was allowed to leave OCV either. As it turns out, one passenger was upset, and became irritated at the crew for having to wait in line for their coffee to be dispensed by the crew. Sad that people can't understand the severity of the situation, and the need to take preventative action.

All the precautions in the world might not help it you are standing too close to a person who "loses it" in front of you. Transmission through the air is rare, but can and does happen. It happened to me on Connie.

Fortunately my case was very mild.

Was on Solstice for the Honolulu to Sydney cruise, and were fortunate to have not contracted Norovirus. Celebrity did a wonderful job of trying to contain the outbreak, and by day 16 (once the number of cases had reached a certain threshold) crew members were serving ALL food in the OVC, thereby minimizing the contact of people to utensils and the like. No food was allowed to leave OCV either. As it turns out, one passenger was upset, and became irritated at the crew for having to wait in line for their coffee to be dispensed by the crew. Sad that people can't understand the severity of the situation, and the need to take preventative action.

One of the reasons I like Oceania is they always serve everything in the buffet. No yahoos picking up stuff by hand or dirty hands touching tongs. It's all mostly behind glass, you tell them what you want like a cafeteria. I'm always amused at first timers trying to figure out how to get their food. Duh, it's pretty obvious.

This certainly reduces the risk of spreading germs, although they aren't completely immune from having noro outbreaks on their ships.

Just want to point since most people think any hand sanitizer will work. Hand sanitizers need a anti-microbial called benzethonium chloride for it to be effective against Norovirus. This virus is one though son of a bitch.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Yes, it requires bleach which is banned as as substance on any cruise.

We may not be able to bring bleach onboard but you can get the commercial strength hand sanitizers and bring them with you. Good old soap and water does a great job but isn’t handy after you use the menu or salt/pepper at the table. We are on the Reflection right now, 14 days, and the biggest problem is a cold with a hacking cough. Some of the B2B folks had it when we boarded. Most folks do not cover their mouths when they cough. We also use a spray called “Halo”. Works for 5 or 6 hours when you spray it at the back of your throat. Protects you from inhaled germs.

My wife suffered with norovirus onboard Celebrity Solstice last week. Is there any chance I can get some compensation for the days she spent confined to her cabin?

This has been a long thread addressing norovirus with valuable content. However, did Solstice have an outbreak on this sailing? Does anybody know? Are there any other passengers that were onboard who can add anything? Or was it an isolated case? If so how was norovirus diagnosed or was it some other stomach upset?

Wife and I don't do any of those things and neither one of us has ever been sick on a cruise ship. She uses sanitizer, I don't because with many of them, I break out on my skin.

Wife and I don't do any of those things and neither one of us has ever been sick on a cruise ship. She uses sanitizer, I don't because with many of them, I break out on my skin.

Certain blood types are more immune to it than others.

Here's a pretty informative article.

https://www.mnn.com/health/healthy-spaces/stories/norovirus-and-blood-type-whats-the-connection

We bought a large container of Hydrogen Peroxide Cleaner Disinfectant Wipes by Chlorox on our last sailing. I believe this is the only type of wipes that is effective against norovirus. We brought the container with us in our checked baggage. When we got into the cabin, the first thing we did was use the wipes throughout the cabin before we settled in. We will continue to apply this routine for future sailings. We have not tried that on airline seats but we are surely tempted.

Certain blood types are more immune to it than others.

Here's a pretty informative article.

https://www.mnn.com/health/healthy-spaces/stories/norovirus-and-blood-type-whats-the-connection

Interesting. I'm B+ and never had norovirus. Article says B and AB are least to get infected. That's good. Though I won't be licking any hand rails to test the theory[emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

This has been a long thread addressing norovirus with valuable content. However, did Solstice have an outbreak on this sailing? Does anybody know? Are there any other passengers that were onboard who can add anything? Or was it an isolated case? If so how was norovirus diagnosed or was it some other stomach upset?

Points well made. We are sailing on Sostice in 4 weeks and I'd like to know the current status of any outbreaks from those who have been on recent sailings. Posted a seperate thread yesterday, but no repsonse so far.

Oh no! I am on a Hawaii to Sydney cruise in 2018 [emoji15]

You’ll likely be fine, I’ve known people on it every year for about five or six years straight, this was the first year wit( a major outbreak.

I was on the same two nighter as Gogo, what amazed us was that even after the delayed boarding, and service in the buffet and all the rest, people would still leave the toilet and not wash their a hands or arc up about the hand sanatiser.

Just amazing.

Interesting. I'm B+ and never had norovirus. Article says B and AB are least to get infected. That's good. Though I won't be licking any hand rails to test the theory[emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Interesting article may be why Mrs Gut and I have never had it, she AB me B.

There was an outbreak on the Hawaii to Syd cruise, arrived syd 20 Oct.

The two night 20 Oct was delayed boarding for deep cleaning, I don’t think there was an issue on it, but two nights it may not have hit till you got off.

I understand there were reports on the next cruise which I think returns tomorrow.

I have always wanted to ask this question... on this board, I frequently read about people not washing their hands after going to the toilet. I have never seen this issue in the ladies'. Can someone enlighten me as to whether this behavior is only observed in the men's?