Carnival's policy when a ticketed/paid passenger dies before sailing - DISGUSTING

DaveNetMan

i wouldn't be a bit surprised if the number you called to cancel went to a 3rd party call center like in India that Carnival contracts or hires to handle the overflow traffic of calls they've had to deal with lately with all the cruise cancellations from weather/hurricanes. no refund on your cruise THEN charge you an additional $250 cancellation fee??? This is what third party call centers do to supplement income. Carnival I bet never sees any of the fee. I just read through my cruise documents about cancellation and theres NOTHING about an additional cancellation fee. Only after the final payment date your refund gets smaller the closer to your sail date gets to the point of no refund 2 weeks before sail date. I'd be all over Carnival Guest Services number demanding answers.

Not for nothing, but you can sometimes edit the names of the travelers on the website, even within a day or two of cruising. I have done it once within 24 hours of sailing without penalty or fee.

When I told my carnival consultant that I was able to make the change myself (I had left her a voicemail before I tried it) she told me. “Shhhhhh, I didn’t hear that. Have a great cruise.”

I am sorry for your loss.

Personally, if it was already paid in full, I would have just went and not said a word, they cannot make you check in together. Unfortunately, I understand them not refunding his fare... but I do not understand the additional $250. Unless they cancelled him, and then charged a single supplement and it was now higher that what was paid.

It's not just typical of the cruise industry. After my mother passed away I immediately started cancelling all her utilities, letting them know that she had passed. When it came to her internet service I was just informed that service wouldn't be officially cancelled until the modem/router had been returned. I returned it to them the next day since it was the end of the month and didn't want to be charged another month. I was shocked when I received a bill for $250. When I called about it I was told it was a cancellation fee. I explained once again that she had died. Didn't matter, contract was such that early termination for any reason resulted in the cancellation fee. I was livid but paid the fee so we could get the estate settled in a timely manner.

Shortly after this a salesperson for this internet/communications company came into my workplace to pitch their services. It just so happened that the salesperson was a former co-worker and friend of mine. I lit into her about the whole disgusting situation and how it was handled by their customer service rep (she was very cold and curt - no sympathy whatsoever about losing my mother just days before). Needless to say, after I gave her an earful she was probably sorry she'd walked through the door! To her credit, and her boss's, they quickly cut me a refund check and offered a very sincere apology. I doubt I would have gotten the refund if it hadn't been for my previous aquaintance of the salesperson and I appreciated her going to bad for me. While I was very appreciative of the refund, I told both her and her boss that I'd really rather have them change their policy and that if a death certificate was produced, the cancellation fee would be waived. Don't know if that happened or not but they said they'd consider it.

I don't know if the bill passed or not, but I do know that my Assemblywoman in the NY State Legislature proposed a bill to not allow cancellation fees to be required when someone dies. This happened after she had to pay a cancellation fee to a utility after her mother died.

That is horrible. Have you or your sister tried reaching out to John Heald? He may be able to do something about that or at least find someone who can. If you reach out to him and he doesn't respond, keep trying. He's very busy but this sounds like a pretty messed up rule that he needs to be made aware of.

i wouldn't be a bit surprised if the number you called to cancel went to a 3rd party call center like in India that Carnival contracts or hires to handle the overflow traffic of calls they've had to deal with lately with all the cruise cancellations from weather/hurricanes. no refund on your cruise THEN charge you an additional $250 cancellation fee??? This is what third party call centers do to supplement income. Carnival I bet never sees any of the fee. I just read through my cruise documents about cancellation and theres NOTHING about an additional cancellation fee. Only after the final payment date your refund gets smaller the closer to your sail date gets to the point of no refund 2 weeks before sail date. I'd be all over Carnival Guest Services number demanding answers.

I totally agree with this!! Ive been sailing with carnival for about 8 years and NEVER had bad customer service until recently (after the hurricanes). I didn't get upset about it because I figured they probably had outside help to handle the huge demand but you could tell they weren't the usually Carnival support staff...like the actual quality of the phone call was different...it sounded like he was talking inside a coffee can. Also maybe try once more and call at a different time in the day. I work overnight shifts so I normally call in the middle of the night and usually get great customer service.

Not for nothing, but you can sometimes edit the names of the travelers on the website, even within a day or two of cruising. I have done it once within 24 hours of sailing without penalty or fee.

When I told my carnival consultant that I was able to make the change myself (I had left her a voicemail before I tried it) she told me. “Shhhhhh, I didn’t hear that. Have a great cruise.”

I’m pretty sure I read that they fixed that “glitch” so that you can’t do it anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

After being a long-time Carnival customer for over 30 years, I want to say how absolutely DISGUSTED my family is at how Carnival is treating my sister after her husband passed away last week.

Last spring, my sister and her husband booked a Carnival cruise for this November. About 6 weeks ago, her husband was suddenly diagnosed with cancer, and he passed away last week. We just had his furneral this week. My sister decided she would still like to take the cruise, to both honor him and to get away from reality for a short while. She has a close family friend that would be able to go to keep her company. She called Carnival to see how this can be arranged. To everyones shock, she was bluntly told that not only is there absolutely no refund for her husband who just died, but THEY REQUIRE HER TO PAY AN ADDITIONAL $250 'CANCELLATION FEE' ON TOP OF THAT! When she told me that, I told her there's no way that can be true, maybe she can contact them again and speak to another person. She waited and called them again, spoke with a different person, and was told the exact same thing. This is unbelievable. They kept saying it's because he "cancelled"... apparently they equate DYING as 'cancelling'. She felt she had no choice but to pay it. So as it stands now, they have kept her dead husbands entire fare, plus an additional $250 'cancellation' fee, and if a family friend can go with her, Carnival will gladly charge a 3rd full fare.

Does this sound right to anyone? Do other cruise lines do this? Is there anything more she can do? I would love to hear from others who had a similar situation happen to them, and what they were told.

Oh, she was also told that once she pays that additional $250, she would probably get some of it back, since Carnival may refund the port charges. How generous. But she will need to submit an appeal, including a death certificate. I'm just disgusted by the whole thing. Carnival is not the people-friendly company they want you to believe.

I hope your sister didn’t pay the $250. Unless sister’s husband has a cell phone that works from heaven, he can not cancel.

If I wasn’t grieving, I’d call them back and say: “yes he’s dead, but he’s coming anyway” he can be a no show and won’t pay the penalties and will still get his port charges back. But it would be amusing to tell Carnival, that he’s coming in a coffin or urn with a sign that says “Carnival would not let me cancel” and he’ll be spending a lot of time by the pool.

I think I’d present it that way and then see if they are more willing to accommodate a simple name change.

And if they still won’t budge, call back and see if she can add a third person to the room for a low rate or change the room to accommodate a third at a low rate - and departed hubby can be a no show as previously stated.

There’s something lost in translation here. Even a bad customer service rep couldn’t come up with this conclusion. It sounds like you are saying that.

1. The husbands fare will be forfeited

2. The wife will be charged an additional $250 as a cancellation fee.

3. The friend who will accompany here will also pay a third person fare.

Parts 1 and 2 can’t both be charged. The cancellation fee is the forfeiture of the cruise fare. Now, some people have reported that if you cancel person 2, and person 1 sails solo, that you can get charged a solo supplement. Not entirely sure if that’s what was meant but part 3 should resolve that. You certainly won’t pay a single supplement AND a third person fare.

So that’s the first major error.

Now, as far as changing the second passenger to the friend as opppsed to adding her as a new passenger. Early saver bookings don’t allow name changes. The rest do for a small fee. If they booked early saver this part may be correct. Thought, agree, on the scheme of things this would be a reasonable allowance for them to make given there’s no way she’s getting a refund.

Considering the OP didn't speak with Carnival themselves and is ranting about third hand information, probably much is lost in translation.

Where in the post did he say he didn't speak to Carnival themselves? He said multiple times they called Carnival...speaking to a 3rd party or not I think the situation calls for ranting for sure.

Where in the post did he say he didn't speak to Carnival themselves? He said multiple times they called Carnival...speaking to a 3rd party or not I think the situation calls for ranting for sure.

I don’t see the word “they” when calls were made. Since you asked where it says the widow called...e434e2b9db1c62af178cf62061d9a07f.jpg

I don’t see the word “they” when calls were made. Since you asked where it says the widow called...e434e2b9db1c62af178cf62061d9a07f.jpg

That's not what she was saying. She said that his wife didn't speak to Carnival first hand (which isn't in the post) and then said he was ranting which is somewhat insensitive considering the circumstances.

If there is going to be a no show, I think best to not notify Carnival. There won't be a change fee and port charges will be refunded to the method of payment used.

Did they purchase any cruise insurance? This would be a good time for cancel for any reason insurance.

After being a long-time Carnival customer for over 30 years, I want to say how absolutely DISGUSTED my family is at how Carnival is treating my sister after her husband passed away last week.

Last spring, my sister and her husband booked a Carnival cruise for this November. About 6 weeks ago, her husband was suddenly diagnosed with cancer, and he passed away last week. We just had his furneral this week. My sister decided she would still like to take the cruise, to both honor him and to get away from reality for a short while. She has a close family friend that would be able to go to keep her company. She called Carnival to see how this can be arranged. To everyones shock, she was bluntly told that not only is there absolutely no refund for her husband who just died, but THEY REQUIRE HER TO PAY AN ADDITIONAL $250 'CANCELLATION FEE' ON TOP OF THAT! When she told me that, I told her there's no way that can be true, maybe she can contact them again and speak to another person. She waited and called them again, spoke with a different person, and was told the exact same thing. This is unbelievable. They kept saying it's because he "cancelled"... apparently they equate DYING as 'cancelling'. She felt she had no choice but to pay it. So as it stands now, they have kept her dead husbands entire fare, plus an additional $250 'cancellation' fee, and if a family friend can go with her, Carnival will gladly charge a 3rd full fare.

Does this sound right to anyone? Do other cruise lines do this? Is there anything more she can do? I would love to hear from others who had a similar situation happen to them, and what they were told.

Oh, she was also told that once she pays that additional $250, she would probably get some of it back, since Carnival may refund the port charges. How generous. But she will need to submit an appeal, including a death certificate. I'm just disgusted by the whole thing. Carnival is not the people-friendly company they want you to believe.

I am so sorry about your family's loss and I would certainly call Again. My father in law died in 2015 after our final payment. I called and got a name change done for 100.00, which they waived after I sent the death certificate. We got someone else to go in his place. I would have called again and again and would not pay a cancellation fee outside of 50 or 100 change fee.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The $250 sounds like ES issues.

A few years ago we had ES. DH couldn’t go at the last minute and wanted to replace him with Sis. We were quoted more than $250.

This is beyond ridiculous. If a person dies let someone take their place, that seems like a simple kindness and the cruise line won’t lose out on anything. They still have a full state room. I’m so sorry for everything. I applaud her for honoring him and doing something he would want her to do and enjoy life.

Same situation happened with my fathers death. I had working with a travel agent, Carnival’s Leslie DeCosta, and although she tried, I was even told I would get the $250 back - never happened. They lost me 4 years ago and haven’t cursed with them since.

That's not what she was saying. She said that his wife didn't speak to Carnival first hand (which isn't in the post) and then said he was ranting which is somewhat insensitive considering the circumstances.

No, Elaine said OP did not talk to Carnival first hand.

de595d54155af36a43bfb085cf870fa6.jpg

Your misinterpretation here illustrates the problem with 2nd hand information.

No, Elaine said OP did not talk to Carnival first hand.

de595d54155af36a43bfb085cf870fa6.jpg

Your misinterpretation here illustrates the problem with 2nd hand information.

You’ve even introduced an imaginary character to this situation: “OPs Wife”. OP is getting this information from his sister who lost her husband. If OP has a wife, she has not been a part of this thread.

What is being missed completely are details. Was the name change requested at the same time of the initial call? Otherwise, that $250 "fee" could be because she canceled a double occupancy cabin, which NOW is a single. There are upcharges for single cabins, which they DO charge.

They need to look specifically at the terms they booked under.

AND insurance would be the answer for the particular situation, which there is no mention of?

Something is definitely not right. I agree with Jakesana. Try guest services. I had a situation where my husband ended up not being able to go and my mother in law came in his place. It's been a while but I don't remember any hassles at all.