Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Four

CCHelp

It does look good doesn't it? It's in Toronto about a 4.5 hour drive from Ottawa. Not going to happen this year. But something to consider for 2018! Thanks for thinking of me Spins!

I just went for a walk to the community mail box to retrieve the mail and froze my butt off. We usually get some lead time to adjust to the cold gradually. Not this year! Fall temps yesterday...winter temps today! Not a happy camper!

Good evening Coolers from a rather dreary cold night here.

Wifey said she was having beans on toast tonight which didn't seem right so I made us some extremely filling soup .......

Today was one of those days with the surface pro starting to whine and so I bought a replacement and ended up with orders for two laptops when they failed to cancel the first. Basically it has been a day where everything that could go wrong, did and then caused something else to go wrong and so it went on.

Is it my imagination but outside the Cooler on other threads people seem a bit terse and short with each other? Not much bonhommie and good humour about! Still none of that in the Cosy Cooler!

9d1c5d533c99364fd315f529bfe17e2f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That soup looks amazing J! I could do with some of that right now. Furnace is on, I'm wearing three layers and I still can't warm up! Sorry to hear about the technology/ordering irritations! Did your tech catch something contagious from Spins' tech? She recently had issues as well.

I'm not straying too far from the Cooler these days. The mood outside the Cooler bar is not very friendly. I think they should come inside, pull up a stool, grab a drink and a handful of nuts (the edible kind) and chill!

I'm not straying too far from the Cooler these days. The mood outside the Cooler bar is not very friendly. I think they should come inside, pull up a stool, grab a drink and a handful of nuts (the edible kind) and chill!

Are you both referring to the reaction to refurbishing work being done while on a cruise? I guess I agree with the posters that I would not be happy and would expect some sort of compensation from the intrusion to my enjoying all venues of the ship. Do you think I would be wrong?

Hi Cam...speaking for myself, it is not just that particular thread. And it is not even the contents of the posts. It is an attitude that comes across for me. There is an inaudible sneer in some of the posts. For the thread you are referring to, I think I would not be happy if renovations were adversely impacting my cruise.

Hope you are managing to stay warm Cam!

I can empathise regarding the laptops... I have just dropped mine. It landd on the corner and sprained the chassis and ever so slightly dislodged the lid. I can’t tighten up the lid as I have to remove the the keyboard ... and with a sprained frame I daren’f so it is a case of fingers crossed. I suspect thereis other damage as it is now running very hot and I have just had a blue screen if death.

Grrrr!

I think one of the problems is simply realistically deciding what it is you want out of the replacements.

I bought the Surface Pro on release two years ago. I convinced myself that I was missing my "art". All my tubes, and brushes and easel confined to the attic because clearing up is such a palaver and a few specks of paint on the walls apparantly offends, and we can't afford to have a whole room just for me to chuck paint around with abandon, so I convinced myself a few years ago to get a very expensive art sketching tablet and a top end PC. Too much technology not enough simplicity and spontaneity. So I turned it into a glorified MP3 jukebox. And having been impressed with Hockney and his work on the Surface Pro and Ipad I got the top end Surface Pro and filled it with expensive software, bought some pens and never used it for that once.

And so today, I didn't buy a top end machine simply for all the stuff I plan to use it for but never will, but instead got a decent 8th gen intel i7 laptop with ssd and other stuff .....but managed to order two. Well one at a time but they promised to cancel one but didn't. That is, sadly Indian call centers for you .... :(

I can empathise regarding the laptops... I have just dropped mine. It landd on the corner and sprained the chassis and ever so slightly dislodged the lid. I can’t tighten up the lid as I have to remove the the keyboard ... and with a sprained frame I daren’f so it is a case of fingers crossed. I suspect thereis other damage as it is now running very hot and I have just had a blue screen if death.

Grrrr!

I did that once, years ago. I was in a hotel room and misjudged the width of a counter. I watched (in slo-mo) as my MAcBookPro did a graceful dive, worthy of an Olympic 10metre diver, off the edge. Unfortunately it landed on a corner, bending the entire aluminum body.

I picked it up, placed it on the desk and noted about half of inch of clearance on opposite corners. It was racked. No way I was going to try to open it.

I picked it up, took it to the edge of the coffee table and pushed it the opposite way.

Back on the desk, all edges even, popped open the lid open. Replaced a few years later with a newer model with SSD, but the old one still runs, if anyone needs an older Mac ...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What is is about the ‘slow motion’ when it comes to remembering things? Why does it happen?

I have been involved in a couple of potential life changing incidents at sea and can remember in how time virtually stopped and everything was seen in vivid detail. Fortunately all limbs and extremities remained intact .... subject to minor repair. Occupational hazard I suppose. Health and Safety hadn’t been invented than!

As for the laptop? Remember the old film Edward Scissorhands? I am his distant cousin ... Edward Sausagefingers! Aka clumsy old git!

The current one is six years old so it is not too bad. I am looking at a replacement of good spec so as to future proof to a degree.

We shall see what my Yorkshire roots let me spend.

Well, at this moment I am at the keys of "last-legs" surface pro - only 2 years old - trying to jot down all the stuff on her that I need to reconstruct on the machine that arrives on Monday. So far as future proofing is concerned I guess it is important to just understand the current intel chip as this is where the sellers of this stuff most confused. They often say latest generation but that is because they purposefully don't upgrade the specs when new stuff comes out. I simply ensured that I only looked at the lattest chip range which was the i7 8th generation as this is evidently a very much improved performer over the last one and good for video manipulation and I want to save stuff as we get older. Also to have the programmes reside on an ssd and all data to standard hdd. I also add quite a lot of stuff that makes it look traditional. Windows Classic Shell for example as I can't be doing with all the new Windows looking stuff.

Greetings Coolers! Another crisp morning here at 18 F (-7 C).

I am now officially a senior citizen. I will start to receive CPP (Canada Pension Plan) and OAS (Old Age Security) at the end of December. I can also get a percentage off purchases at my drug store if I shop on Tuesdays. :) I am doing my victory lap in celebration of reaching this milestone as neither of my parents made it this far. Life is good!

Have a great day all!