Packing for Hawaii

lbfluffy

We leave a week from tomorrow for our 15 day Hawaii cruise out of San Francisco. This is a tough one to pack for. I know Hawaii will be warm, but going 5 days there and pack means I need to pack warm clothes too. I hate being cold, but I know I need to focus on not overpacking. I will do laundry on board at least once, but I know my sweatshirts will take a lot of room. I am bad at packing. I always overpack. Right now I have a pile of clothes on the guest room bed. I’ll need to figure out my daily outfits.

Buy a souvenir sweatshirt on the ship:D we can be twins:D

Not a bad idea!

I’m not sure if i should wear my heavy coat on board.

When we cruised Alaska it ended up being fairly warm.

It shows rain in San Francisco for next Monday.

Jessica

We did this cruise last Feb 22-Mar 9 (but out of L.A.) First 2 days and last 2-3 days were cooler, as others have mentioned, but I never was cold enough to want a coat. If you plan to watch MUTS those nights you may want to bring a jacket - I'd leave the heavy coat at home, but that's me. Have a wonderful time! I would take that cruise again in a heartbeat.

Edited by catwoman6226
clarifying information

Layering is always the answer for packing!

Cool days at sea: long sleeve t-shirt, sweatshirt/sweater/windbreaker, long pants, socks, sneakers (sandals for later days). Regular CA clothes for Hawaii.

Maybe I shouldn't tell about my experience on that cruise in Feb. 2015 -- terrible weather (rain, wind, cool-cold) for all 15 days! I wore my heavy Irish wool sweater over a sweatshirt on deck. Have no fear -- that was most unusual!

You'll have a great cruise!

We did a cruise to Hawaii 2 years ago in December. It was SO cold that when we reached our first stop (Ensenada) we purchased 2 blankets there!!

Our experience has been it's about 5-6 days of cold. Jeans, layers, long underwear. lol Just kidding, I didn't take long underwear.

Then it's HOT in Hawaii. It is a struggle to pack because it's cold and hot. We also do laundry. So, we plan on laundering the clothes we used the first set of cold days on the way back.

I make a list and try on clothes before I pack just to be sure they look OK and I try to mix and match as much as possible.

Good luck!

We did this cruise from LA a few years ago in the beginnning of December and it was not cold. Of course, can't compare SF to LA. Suggest the packable down jackets and cashmere or thin wool sweaters instead of heavy sweatshirts. Also, a packing tip to roll your clothes as opposed to fold. Takes less room. Yet, if you don't have to fly, there is no limit on luggage or weight. So what if you have extra? Worst case, you will not wear it. That my $.05 worth. Enjoy the cruise. And don't do the plain tour in Kauai in the afternoon. Ours was cancelled dur to weather and we ended up with nothing. Just a thought.

We've done the HI cruise 5 times and leaving on the 14th for #6.

We both have lightweight, long sleeve "not really sweatshirts" that we wear when walking around outside. When not needed, they're light enough to tie around your neck or hang on a purse.

We pack one pair of casual long pants for cool days with mix n' match tops (for me, DH doesn't care what color he wears with his jeans;p). That's it for cool weather stuff.

You're not doing any heavy lifting on the ship, so don't need to wash after one use (or more) and no one will notice that you've worn the same pants 3 days in a row.

• 6 years later...

We leave Atlanta Ga. 02/21/2024 for our first Cruise to Hawaii. We arrive one day early and spend the night near the port in San Francisco California. Board Crown Princiss the next day. This will be our longest cruise/ 16 nights. I know we need to pack for both cold and warm. I am reading all I can about this subject but if anyone has any other suggestions please let me know...

Thank you,

First 2 days out and last 2 back could be colder than you anticipate. Having said that all I ever add is some long sleeve t shirts and a coat

Edited by memoak
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bspiderman said:

We leave Atlanta Ga. 02/21/2024 for our first Cruise to Hawaii. We arrive one day early and spend the night near the port in San Francisco California. Board Crown Princiss the next day. This will be our longest cruise/ 16 nights. I know we need to pack for both cold and warm. I am reading all I can about this subject but if anyone has any other suggestions please let me know...

Thank you,

Bring a lightweight jacket...maybe a cardigan.  Not worth packing for the cold as it will just take up extra space in you suitcase.  If it's cold, most people steer clear of the outdoor decks the first couples of days to and back.  Even if it rains in Hawaii, you won't want to be wearing a jacket because it's hot.  If you wear a jacket in the rain in Hawaii, you'll stay drier than you would have otherwise, but you'll be drenched in sweat.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

Bring a lightweight jacket...maybe a cardigan.  Not worth packing for the cold as it will just take up extra space in you suitcase.  If it's cold, most people steer clear of the outdoor decks the first couples of days to and back.  Even if it rains in Hawaii, you won't want to be wearing a jacket because it's hot.  If you wear a jacket in the rain in Hawaii, you'll stay drier than you would have otherwise, but you'll be drenched in sweat.   

I beg to differ.  Our "winters" can be cold (low 70s) in the morning.  A collapsible umbrella may be useful.  We just had flood warnings for a Kona Low (south storm) for all the islands.  

We have beautiful rainbows (anuenue) because of morning showers.  

Umbrella, light rain jacket, sun hat, suntan lotion, a wrap for the ship, leggings or pedal pushers (are better than jeans), To top it of...all restaurants and stores are very air conditioned (cold).

I even saw/felt hail at the Volcano National Park in March.  

Edited by cr8tiv1

Just now, cr8tiv1 said:

I beg to differ.  Our "winters" can be cold (low 70s) in the morning.  A collapsible umbrella may be useful.  We just had flood warnings for a Kona Low (south storm) for all the islands.  

We have beautiful rainbows (anuenue) because of morning showers.  

Umbrella, light rain jacket, sun hat, suntan lotion, a wrap for the ship, leggings or pedal pushers (are better than jeans), To top it of...all restaurants and stores are very air conditioned (cold).

My young blood runs hot all the time in Hawaii regardless of the time of year.  Can't get enough of the air con.  I know Hawaiians wear leggings when the weather drops to the 60s.  Over reaction.  Depending on the rain, umbrella can useful or useless, since it's tropical rain. 

Get something like this:  Samurai Heathered LS Performance Hoodie | Sale – AFTCO and wear it as a base layer under a long-sleeve shirt, sweatshirt, fleece, or sweater.  It will help provide lightweight warmth during the cooler part of the trip and do double duty as a sun shirt when you get to Hawai'i.  I wore one of these with a twill shirt and a sweater on my eastern Med cruise in early December and stayed nice and warm.  Add a rain jacket if it rains (or is windy) and you should be set.

Living in Georgia you may already have the SPF 50 swim shirts that are very popular in the South.  They can also serve as the base layer.

2 hours ago, Bspiderman said:

We leave Atlanta Ga. 02/21/2024 for our first Cruise to Hawaii. We arrive one day early and spend the night near the port in San Francisco California. Board Crown Princess the next day. This will be our longest cruise/ 16 nights. I know we need to pack for both cold and warm. I am reading all I can about this subject but if anyone has any other suggestions please let me know...

Thank you,

Collapsible umbrella or a disposable rain coat for the islands. It rains "almost" every day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I beg to differ.  Our "winters" can be cold (low 70s) in the morning. 

It's winter here. I heat my house to 69° normally. Sometimes I get wild and heat it to 70°.  Low 70s isn't "cold" to most people.

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

It's winter here. I heat my house to 69° normally. Sometimes I get wild and heat it to 70°.  Low 70s isn't "cold" to most people.

Sorry to hear you have to heat at to 70. At least you see grass.  All we see is white LOL