American Express offer with Princess

trbarton

I used the A/E offer on one of my Princess cruises. When I look at the A/E web site it shows the $500 charge but the offer still shows like I could use it again.

What has been other peoples experiences when they use this offer?

For anyone wondering about this offer on some A/E cards if you make a $500 Payment towards a cruise you get a $100 statement credit.

Tom😎

On Oct 15 we booked a cruise on the Regal and immediately was credited (on our AMEX account) with the $100 dollar Amex credit. The Offer now shows under the "Redeemed" tab and is no longer a valid offer. The OP has not mentioned if they got their $100 credit. Keep in mind that these offers will not work unless you activate the offer (sign up) PRIOR to making the booking. These offers are not automatic until activated by the credit card holder.

Hank

This isn't limited to new bookings. As long as you have $500 or more still owning before final payment, you can use the Amex offer by making a partial payment. On my recent Princess cruise I was able to use this offer on multiple Amex cards and got $100 back each time.

• 2 months later...

Not sour grapes, but with decades of Platinum and Gold cards I never received the Princess offer. I contacted AMEX and they said it was 'rotated' ie. I would see it later. Never happened.

These minor annoyances caused me to cancel AMEX and take advantage of (what I perceive) as much better benefits of Chase Reserve. JMHO

I got the $100 offer in time for our cruise last month on the Royal. I try to check in whenever Amex emails me new offers just in case it's offered again. So far, the timing has worked out for me twice in the last couple of years.

Not sour grapes, but with decades of Platinum and Gold cards I never received the Princess offer. I contacted AMEX and they said it was 'rotated' ie. I would see it later. Never happened.

These minor annoyances caused me to cancel AMEX and take advantage of (what I perceive) as much better benefits of Chase Reserve. JMHO

Just a heads up for those looking for it, the offer comes under the heading "Worlds Leading Cruise Lines", not Princess. I have had it twice on my Platnium card.

Just a heads up for those looking for it, the offer comes under the heading "Worlds Leading Cruise Lines", not Princess. I have had it twice on my Platnium card.

Yes, I know I never received it on gold and my Plat was a corporate card. That said it is a little infuriating to have a well published (on these boards) offer and not be able to partake. Anyway this was one small thing of many that drove me away from AMEX (member since 1977 !).

Yes, I know I never received it on gold and my Plat was a corporate card. That said it is a little infuriating to have a well published (on these boards) offer and not be able to partake. Anyway this was one small thing of many that drove me away from AMEX (member since 1977 !).

Not on my GOLD either![emoji35]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with your logic. I was able to use that offer, some other offers, some Uber, used a Centurion Lounge so the annual fee was paid for this year. I got my moneys worth. Next year the fee is $100 more so I may not be so lucky, can’t predict the offers. So I will keep it another year but next spring I will reevaluate. Keeping it is not a slam dunk.

I would not consider giving up the Chase Reserve if they keep the benefits. I have read they are losing money on it and may depreciate some benefits. I hope not. I charge all my travel and restaurants on it and put the rest on a Chase Freedom Card and transfer the points from Freedom to Reserve. Chase Reserve and Freedom are an excellent combination.

I am not normally one to defend AMEX, but there are plenty of offers for Platinum Cards that are not available to Gold (or other) cards. And why not? The Platinum Card now costs $550 a year...and for that amount of money folks do expect some extra benefits. The interesting issue regarding Platinum Cards is how they will hold up in competition with the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card ($450 a year).

Hank

Also you don't have to wait until final payment if you already made a deposit. I had an offer after the deposit but before final that would have expired before final payment so I made a $500 payment towards the cruise before final and got the $100.

Edited by Charles4515

I am not normally one to defend AMEX, but there are plenty of offers for Platinum Cards that are not available to Gold (or other) cards. And why not? The Platinum Card now costs $550 a year...and for that amount of money folks do expect some extra benefits. The interesting issue regarding Platinum Cards is how they will hold up in competition with the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card ($450 a year).

Hank

The Platnium card makes its offers and benefits harder to use than the Chase Reseve card. Like having to pick one airline for the $200 travel benefit on the AMEX. On the Reseve card the $300 is for any travel. Also I have found that if I book thru the Chase portal my pionts go a lot farther. The Chase version of Priority Pass does not limit the number of guests. The Chase card provides primary insurance on car rentals. With AMEX it is secondary unless an extra fee is paid. The Reserve card in my opinion right now is the better card. However there are rumors Chase may cut back some of their benefits because they have been losing to much money on them.

Is it just for Princess or other cruise lines? Any particular branded MasterCard? Where did you see offer advertised? I'm looking to book NCL in the next month.

It's good for all major cruise lines so long as you use MC to book and pay. Must be a new booking though. Unfortunately, we can't name TA on cc but it is a very well known national online TA. You even see its commercials on TV from time to time. Hope this help.