CocoCay has replaced Nassau

Bad for Nassau but for me I think I would rather go to Coco now that they will have a dock to guarantee the stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Having a dock does NOT "guarantee" that the ship will be able to dock. This is one of the problems with all of the brouhaha around the building of this new pier. Yes, it will HELP with the percentage of ships that can visit CocoCay, but it is still on the "windy side" (I am sure that there are cool, official, nautical terms for this) and sometimes high winds, the kind that prevent the tenders from operating, will keep the cruise ship from being able to dock.

As one of the few cruisers who likes Nassau, I think this will make a lot of people happy.

People will still complain, because this is cruise critic. :evilsmile:

The same ship's personnel who told me the above information also assured me that Nassau is VERY popular with the non-whining passengers, i.e., newbies and less-experienced cruisers.

:D:cool::halo:

We just came back from the Anthem cruise that visited Coco Cay and Nassau.

At Coco Cay RC will make money on resources they already have there like renting cabanas, floating mats, umbrellas, jet skis etc and excursions. The more these items turn over the more money RC makes, not to mention all the alcohol they will sell.

We have been to Coco Cay three times and were the only ship there. Now that the dock is being built I wonder if two ships will be there at the same time.

Been to Nassau so many times, last time we were there we went for a long walk and went back to the ship. Done most of the excursions in the past and none of them were worth repeating.

Also wondering if this change will effect the amount of dollars a passenger spends on port taxes.

I think a 30-40 knot wind was reported in Nassau when some ships couldn't dock there and that is much better sheltered than CocoCay.

Yeah, I would presume that if the conditions are too bad for an Oasis class ship to dock then its probably not going to be a decent beach day anyway.

I'd like Nassau better if they had better excursions available, or would go find some. The conspiracy theorist in me has recently felt that Royal was in collusion with Atlantis to promote their excursions over others. On my 2016 cruise, for months 80% of the excursions shown were Atlantis. I do like diving there using Stuart Cove's. For awhile Royal was not hiring excursion operators who also hired privately or worked with other cruise lines.

RCCL is most likely doing this to generate more revenue (is there any other reason they make the decisions they do?) By investing in a pier and other facilities in Cococay, they are intending to use it more often. A side benefit to all us cruisers (who whine about stopping in Nassau) is that we will get a port that we will enjoy more. I have never been to Cococay in my 6 RCCL cruises, but have always wanted to go. Due to the new deployment plans, I may finally get to visit Cococay. Now, let's just hope the pricing is somewhat reasonable.

Disney has a pier at their private island. I don’t know about good side vs bad side that was mentioned earlier in this thread. But they’ve rarely missed Castaway Cay because of the pier there.

And like someone else said, if it bad enough to prevent a large ship from docking at the pier you probably don’t want to be on the island anyway!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums