Ship Names

tx121

I was just wondering if cruise lines would consider using the names from retired ships in the fleet for their future ships. It would save them the hassle of trademarking and licensing the new names.

For Royal it would be interesting to see the Sovereign of the Seas becoming a mega ship as the name for the next Oasis class ship. Or Monarch of the Seas as the next Ultra Quantum class ship. Or the Splendour of the Seas as the name for the new Icon class build.

But I guess it is the nostalgia of how these names are connected to memories of a ship of the past. I was going to say bring back the Song of Norway or Viking Serenade names..but that would be too much of a stretch as it doesn't go with the current format of RCL's "of the Seas" pattern.

Holland America reuses ship names. Cunard does, but it appends a version number.

Not quiet they use the names of Queens (currently anyway) and there was a Queen Elizabeth and a Queen Elizabeth II, now you may notice they used QEII before QE.

Actually other cruise lines do use variations of the names, but without "of the seas." For example, Regents has Seven Seas Mariner, Seven Seas Voyager, Seven Seas Navigator, and Seven Seas Explorer. I doubt any other cruiseline would want "of the seas" added to their ship names.

Not quiet they use the names of Queens (currently anyway) and there was a Queen Elizabeth and a Queen Elizabeth II, now you may notice they used QEII before QE.

But there was a QE before QE2

Princess uses names over as well and Carnival uses other ships names ie, Freedom and Liberty

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Queen Mary was named after George V's consort Mary. The story is that when George V was asked to approve the naming of Cunard's newest ship after Victoria, he replied that his wife would be delighted to have a ship named after her.

There have been three Queen Elizabeth. Queen Elizabeth, 1946-1968; Queen Elizabeth II, 1969 - 2008; and Queen Elizabeth, 2010-.

Actually other cruise lines do use variations of the names, but without "of the seas." For example, Regents has Seven Seas Mariner, Seven Seas Voyager, Seven Seas Navigator, and Seven Seas Explorer. I doubt any other cruiseline would want "of the seas" added to their ship names.

And the newest Regent ship will be christened Seven Seas Splendor in 2020. Close enough to Splendour of the Seas. :)