Halifax Remembers Boson, once again.

sail7seas

During one of our cruises to Canada/ne we decided to do a bus ' tour' which was quite unusual for DH and me. We rarely did that. We were very lucky to have a great tour guide who shared so much history of Nova Scotia and Halifax and we found it all very interesting. She included a bit about the conneciton between Boston andd Hallifax. While we knew that every Christmas, halifax sent to Boston a gorgeous, huge tree and Boston holdsa a lovelygtree lighting event eadch year for all off us tto see the tree loaded with lights. TODAy, hALIFAX preparred THE TREE TO BE transported, once again. the reason for the tree, we learned from that tour guide is b ecause at the time Halifax suffered a horrible, huge fire when a ship in the harbobr loaded with explosives blew up. causing many injuries, Boston immediately rushed to help, sent all possible to help the good people of Halifax....... medical professionsals went and emergency aid of all kinds.

we knew there was a strong t ie between our cit ies but until

that tour, we did not know why but we are appreciative. Halifax is f a fabulous city IMO

And a huge white spruce will be brightening boston this Christmas. Many thanks. :)

Edited by sail7seas

For those who may be in Halifax later this month or early December, this event will be commemorated...

https://maritimemuseum.novascotia.ca

It should be this December 6 -- 100 years to the day that a collision in the harbor entrance set off an explosion on a ship loaded with ammunition headed for the allies fighting in France . Over 2000 on shore were killed, many more injured, and much of the city destroyed. It was said to be the greatest man-made explosion prior to the 1945 development of the atomic bomb.

Sail, thanks for the reminder. Actually we went to the museum there in Halifax (we thought it was just about the Titanic disaster) it was so interesting and the museum actually shows a movie about the disaster. The name is "Maritime museum of the Atlantic". In the museum they have a shop and I bought a book all about the disaster and Boston's help. We had originally intended to go to the cemetery where the Titanic victims are buried, but we spent so much time at the museum we didn't have time to go. I think it is a wonderful thing that Halifax still sends that Christmas tree.

FYI - One thing that made that disaster so much worse is the night following the disaster Halifax was hit with a terrible snow storm (as I remember it was a couple of feet) So not only were many, many homes and other buildings blown apart, but the survivors terribly injured, but rescuers had to fight snow and cold to rescue many of them.

Sail, thanks for the reminder. Actually we went to the museum there in Halifax (we thought it was just about the Titanic disaster) it was so interesting and the museum actually shows a movie about the disaster. The name is "Maritime museum of the Atlantic". In the museum they have a shop and I bought a book all about the disaster and Boston's help. We had originally intended to go to the cemetery where the Titanic victims are buried, but we spent so much time at the museum we didn't have time to go. I think it is a wonderful thing that Halifax still sends that Christmas tree.

FYI - One thing that made that disaster so much worse is the night following the disaster Halifax was hit with a terrible snow storm (as I remember it was a couple of feet) So not only were many, many homes and other buildings blown apart, but the survivors terribly injured, but rescuers had to fight snow and cold to rescue many of them.

We also have visited that nice museum. While the Titanic artifacts are interesting to see, we particularly very much enjoyed their large collection of ships' bells. the museum is such a short walk from where the ship docks, it is a shame to not visit it at least once during cruises that call in Hali fax, Halifax i s one of our favorite ports along with Charlottetown and Quebec City on that cruise .............. Those are on my list of special ports that called me to take that cruise b-to-b again and again.

ON THAT TOUR I mentioned, we went to the cemetery where those who died on Titatic are buried . The graves are set in the shape o f a ship's bow. Again, our great tour guide gave amazing information about White Star Lines handling of those burials etc. I found that cemetery very intterstintg as it shows the big diversity of the population of Halifax. there is a section for various ethnicities and it demonstrates the mix of all who make up the populatiion of that city.

I'm happy I thought to mention here about the Christmas tree.as it seems that many here are familiar with the tradition. Boston and Halifax share a reciprocal fondness.

Edited by sail7seas

I had fogotten ab out the snow storm. Thanks for the reminder.

I grew up in Halifax and we were taught early about the Halifax explosion and the support Halifax received from Boston. As a Haligonian we grew up respecting Boston and think of them as our lifelong friend.

One of my biggest regrets was being invited to Boston to witness the Tree Lighting and not being able to make it :loudcry:

Glad that those of you who have visited Halifax enjoyed the city and all that it has to offer. I am personally looking forward to my next visit to Boston (whenever that might be).

I grew up in Halifax and we were taught early about the Halifax explosion and the support Halifax received from Boston. As a Haligonian we grew up respecting Boston and think of them as our lifelong friend.

One of my biggest regrets was being invited to Boston to witness the Tree Lighting and not being able to make it :loudcry:

Glad that those of you who have visited Halifax enjoyed the city and all that it has to offer. I am personally looking forward to my next visit to Boston (whenever that might be).

We in Boston would be delighted to welcome you at any time.... IF you can witness the tree lighting, I think you would enjoy it.