what would you do

smith6

We booked our cruise on board last year on board because apparently you get a better deal. We just found out we have friends that booked our cruise only 8 weeks out and they got a terrific deal on the same ship. They didn't get every perk that we got however it hardly makes up for the difference of money that we paid. It definitely was not worth our booking so far in advance. We would like to call Celebrity and challenge this has anyone else ran into this.

We booked our cruise on board last year on board because apparently you get a better deal. We just found out we have friends that booked our cruise only 8 weeks out and they got a terrific deal on the same ship. They didn't get every perk that we got however it hardly makes up for the difference of money that we paid. It definitely was not worth our booking so far in advance. We would like to call Celebrity and challenge this has anyone else ran into this.

Call Celebrity, they will often match prices if outside cancellation period. Make sure you keep your perks.

Since you indicated that they booked only 8 weeks out, there is not much you can do since you are past final payment date. Many of us who booked early in they year are in the same situation.

Since many people cancelled after the hurricanes, cruise lines had to offer special rates to fill the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I guess I would not have booked it if I was happy with the deal I got. If I bought a car a while back and my neighbor got a much better deal after a hail storm and you couldn’t even see damage, (true story) I’d be happy for him and not sad about my deal.

Ps: I know it’s not a perfect analogy, none are. But both have vendors selling a “diminished” product after a natural disaster.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We booked on board, and then noticed a price drop. Called our TA, and got everything taken care of. Always pays to monitor the rates. We ended up moving to a nice balcony (non-obstructed) from an ocean view for exactly the same price, and the perks from our trip booked on-board transferred....

The only thing booking onboard gets you is additional OBC. Sometimes there are other perks associated with an offer but the main one is the additional OBC on a future cruise. I'm not sure where you ever got the idea that booking on the ship gets you a better deal overall. The prices change all the time base on a variety of factors, especially after the final payment is due.

Booking a year out you should be regularly monitoring prices as they change frequently. If the price dropped before final payment you could have called & gotten the lower price - maybe giving up some perks, maybe not depending on the offer.

Once final payment is past they don’t adjust the price, however if the difference between what you paid and a higher category is minimal it may worth it to upgrade paying the difference.

If not enjoy the perks you have and the OBC you got for booking on the ship.

We booked on board, and then noticed a price drop. Called our TA, and got everything taken care of. Always pays to monitor the rates. We ended up moving to a nice balcony (non-obstructed) from an ocean view for exactly the same price, and the perks from our trip booked on-board transferred....

Prices fell for some categories after final payment. We were able to go from an ocean view to concierge class guarantee at no additional money. Kept our beverage package and gratuity. Worth the call to see. We used a travel agent so she made the call for us.

Sent from my SM-T537V using Forums mobile app

We have had several cruises drop in price after final payment and a quick call to our TA got us a nice upgrade from verandas to Aqua or Concierge without losing any perks. Other times when I have seen price drops before final payment we were able to get the price lowered. On one occasion the pre-final drop was in the neighborhood of $us1600. TA got us the drop but had to cut back on the perks they were paying for. They were up front about it but we still saved $US1200. So make the call, ask nicely and if you get told no, push a little...

There is nothing to challenge..You did get a better deal, originally..And you got to choose the cabin you wanted..But after the Hurricanes all prices dropped & your Friends were able to take advantage of their deal too..They had to take one of the left over cabins..You at least kept some of your perks..As another poster said Cruises are not the only things which fluctuate..I bought a car & paid for a deal I thought was wonderful..Now our Neighbors came along several months later & bought the same car for a larger discount..

Yes I paid more for my car but got the color I wanted..Our Friends took what was left over..:(

We booked our cruise last year on board because apparently you get a better deal.

It definitely was not worth our booking so far in advance.

Sooo...you just don't book before final payment... you may very well get a deeply discounted price... ...OR the price may very well have increased... OR the ship may very well have sold out completely.

Supply and demand (of cabins) will cause the price of a cruise to change daily, or even HOURLY.

I paid $799pp for a 23 night transpacific on the Century, while another person paid $12,000 for the same cruise!

I paid $799pp for a 23 night transpacific on the Century, while another person paid $12,000 for the same cruise!

I make a point of never talking about the price I paid to others on the ship because someone will always end up disappointed. I’m sure you took great pleasure in telling them about your bargain.:rolleyes:

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

We booked onboard a few months back for a Caribbean cruise in Jan 2019. A couple of weeks ago I was browsing Celebrity's website and saw the price had dropped quite a bit and they were still offering the drinks package. The only other difference was that we got extra OBC of $300. As our booking had been transferred to our TA I called them and they called Celebrity. Apparently if we wanted to change our booking to the new price we would lose the extra OBC, fair enough, but also our deposits and the $200 OBC we got for booking onboard but chose to take on this cruise. We then found out that if we changed to another cruise we could keep the $200 and our deposits would be transferred. We took this option and in the end saved £800. We found the whole thing quite a farce. What possible difference does it make to Celebrity whether we stay with one cruise or move to another ? We are loyal customers, almost Elite plus now, but it does make me wonder whether booking onboard is worth it.

I make a point of never talking about the price I paid to others on the ship because someone will always end up disappointed. I’m sure you took great pleasure in telling them about your bargain.:rolleyes:

Phil

I make a point of never talking down to others about what they post, because someone will always end up disappointed. I’m sure you took great pleasure in telling me that I should be more like you.:rolleyes: