Los Angeles harbor to LAX time?

vedettes1

There is no way I would chance it. I managed to (finally!) cancel the 11:05 flight Delta had forced on us when we recently returned from a cruise. I got it changed to much later as there is no way to guarantee getting there in time for that early of a flight.

If you want to try you "may" succeed as it will be Sunday but... Be the first off the ship and rustle your own luggage. I would personally book a later flight even if I had to wait around for hours at the airport.

If the ship docks at 7:00am departures will not start for at least another hour after that. We docked at 6:00am and we did not walk off the ship until 8:15. We arrived at the airport at about 9:15am. I would suggest a flight after 11:30am....

BILL

"L. A. Harbor" is not specific. Ships may dock in San Pedro, which is a Los Angeles neighborhood, or in Long Beach, a separate city. We have even been on a cruise scheduled to dock in San Pedro but diverted to Long Beach (a ship had broken down n San Pedro), where we were transferred by bus back to San Pedro.

San Pedro is about 3 miles closer to LAX if the bridge is not congested due to construction.

I would not select a departure earlier than noon.

If ship docks in L.A. harbor at 7:00 AM on a Sunday, do you think I will make it to LAX in time for a 10:00 AM flight? Ship is Pacific Princess so not a large number of passengers to unload.

Don't even think about it. I obviously don't know where you are flying to, but maybe consider Long Beach airport. While it may not fly directly to your destination, it could get you to a connecting airport.....:):):)

Bob

"L. A. Harbor" is not specific. Ships may dock in San Pedro, which is a Los Angeles neighborhood, or in Long Beach, a separate city. We have even been on a cruise scheduled to dock in San Pedro but diverted to Long Beach (a ship had broken down n San Pedro), where we were transferred by bus back to San Pedro.

San Pedro is about 3 miles closer to LAX if the bridge is not congested due to construction.

I would not select a departure earlier than noon.

I wouldn't select one prior to 1400. JMHO.....

Bob

The wild card here is LA Port Customs. They can be very slow to empty a ship. Although Pacific Princess is small, you just never know. Other claims here about the 405 parking lot are invalid. Sunday AM is always light traffic. It is the best time by far to go anywhere in Los Angeles. One other wildcard is LAX TSA. I would conclude here that an 11am flight is a better time than 10am. 10am is probably a less than 50% chance of making the flight. 11am I would venture a 90% chance.

you need all your dominoes to be perfectly aligned.

you need

• the ship to be on time
  • cleared customs on time
  • get through customs quickly
  • now on a sunday, traffic is probably ok to lax BUT, lax is still under ever changing construction, so who knows what you will get once you are on lax property. that can sometimes be the worst part of the drive.
  • then you need to get through security and to your gate, which can be quite a walk from security. and having pre check doesn't mean precheck is open, especially early on a sunday.

there is a reason the cruise lines recommend flights after noon. might it all work out, sure, but there is no one that can guarantee you will make your flight.

you need all your dominoes to be perfectly aligned.

you need

• the ship to be on time
  • cleared customs on time
  • get through customs quickly
  • now on a sunday, traffic is probably ok to lax BUT, lax is still under ever changing construction, so who knows what you will get once you are on lax property. that can sometimes be the worst part of the drive.
  • then you need to get through security and to your gate, which can be quite a walk from security. and having pre check doesn't mean precheck is open, especially early on a sunday.

there is a reason the cruise lines recommend flights after noon. might it all work out, sure, but there is no one that can guarantee you will make your flight.

This is so true. On a trek to LAX a number of years ago, it took us 45 minutes (on a Sunday) to get to the Bradley terminal from the entrance near the LAX sign. The below link might help regarding planning your trek to LAX.....:):):)

http://www.laxishappening.com/

Bob

The self-disembarkation groups start leaving the ship just before 8am in San Pedro. You would have to be in the first or second group and carry all of your luggage off without assistance. There was just one elevator at the pier as we disembarked yesterday so if you need to take the elevator, it’ll be a long wait.

Next, you have to go through Immigration. For some cruises, this is perfunctory and pretty fast. On others, particularly itineraries that went to Central or South America, expect much longer Immigration lines.

Then, you have to get to LAX. At minimum with absolutely no traffic, that’ll take about half an hour. Normally, even Sunday mornings, more like 45 minutes.

LAX can be a nightmare gridlock no matter what time of the day. I’ve had it take me over half an hour to get from the entrance to the terminal at 10:30pm. You never know.

You’ll then have check-in and go through Security which can take quite a while. Depends on whether you are flying Business/First or have Trusted Traveler.

Murphy’s Law demands that my flight is always the last gate on the concourse. Yours will probably be as well.

If you still think you can make it without breaking a sweat or having an anxiety attack given the above that would all have to go right, then go for it. I’m not that laid back nor do I assume everything will go smoothly but that’s me.