3rd Party Shore Excursions

wbhudson

Has anyone used 3rd party shore excursion sites, such as shoreexcursioneer.com? We generally just disembark at whatever port and walk/catch a taxi until we find something interesting. This time we are bringing the kiddos (6 & 11), so I want to have a plan, but the excursions listed on Carnival's website seem to be somewhat lacking, especially for Progresso. Thanks!

We have used many independent operators for excursions. Just make sure that you are confident that they will get you back to the ship on time (it won't wait for you). Mabks0412 is right, check out the reviews before booking.

Progreso is not my favorite port. We went there on our last cruise because they cancelled Belize due to the weather. We did book the ruins/Mexican fiesta excursion and had a blast, though.

I would go over to the portion of Cruise Critic devoted to Progresso, located here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=154

and use a recommended vendor you find there. The company you mention is a broker, they don't actually provide the tour you buy. This has caused some problems in the past when issues arise, contacting the actual vendor.

You could also join your Roll Call, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150

and possibly benefit from the research others on your cruise may have done.

Get a guidebook from your library...read it with the kiddos....most things don't need a guide at all. A guidebook tells you all about EVERYTHING there is to see and do...and about transportation, beaches, shopping, restaurants and safety!

Yes, we have used third party sites. We also look at TripAdvisor to look for local guides. While our experiences on third party site tours have been good; you still end up not knowing exactly who your tour is with so I prefer booking with the actual company when I can

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have used third party sites but also prefer booking with the actual tour company because then the tour can be customized.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ditto. Our 1st preference is directly with the tour company but have had good luck with 3rd party. Booking direct with the cruise line for a tour is our last resort.

With the exception of once, we always use independent third party excursions. Just do your due diligence and make sure you understand the ramifications of doing so.

Autopregreso was a great outfit for us when we visited Uxmal on one of our Progresso stops

We have booked and completed one through Viator.com with a second one coming up in December. I would prefer to go firsthand to the companies, but you can't always find the information easily and these sites allow you to read several reviews before booking.