Gastro Illness

Someone's got to bring noro onto the ship

The most common causes are - people who are infected not washing their hand then touching surfaces, utensils etc. which are then touched by others = illness spreads

And presumably, people who are ill lying on their health declaration through fear of not getting their holiday

While I was on Navigator recently I saw a 'gentleman' used the urinal and then walk out without washing his hands. Vile.

I believe Royal Caribbean is trying hard to to tackle the tough issue of Noro-virus. Having just sailed on Harmony of the Seas, I was amazed to see the new trough-like hand washing stations at the entrance of the Windjammer. You must pass the stations to get in the Windjammer or you may do the usual Purel goo, but you must do one or the other and an attendant is there to see that you do.

This is a new innovation for Royal. I take it they mean business in keeping Noro at bay. The buffet is fraught with opportunities for Noro to spread, so Royal is trying to quell problems there.

Even though I did once catch Noro on a Royal Caribbean ship several years ago, I have my doubts that their ships suffer more outbreaks than other cruise lines. Some cruise lines have fewer ships than Royal, plus Royal has some for the largest ships for passenger capacity, so the chances are greater for outbreaks due to shear numbers of passengers, but the truth is virtually any ship could be hit by an outbreak. They don't need to report outbreaks if the passenger number involved is a small percentage and the outbreak is rapidly contained, so we might not even know about how often this happens.

There are other things you can do to cut down on the chance of getting NV. Don't touch the railings unless you really have to. Use the back of your hand for the elevator buttons. Ensure your table is clean. I bring a small pack of clorox wipes for the table. Keep your hands clean as much as possible. I've been on 20 cruises and never got sick.

Love your idea of the sani wipes for table tops. I do use them in the room, especially for the remote control, telephone and drawer pulls, curtain pulls and door knobs, but never took the wipes out to the buffet for example. They would be good on menu covers too if it looks like the menu won't be damaged.

We both "caught" noro on about our thirtieth cruise in spite of all our precautions. You only need to touch one arm chair arm, salt shaker or brush up against anything on the ship and, boom, you are on your way to a tough couple of days.

Just wash your hands, people -- that's all you have to do to avoid noro.

And RC isn't any more prone to it than any other line. It hits everywhere at this time of year, including schools and nursing homes... anywhere that people gather and don't always wash their hands before eating / touching their mouth.

We are booked on an RCL cruise next year. I've been reading and hearing a lot about the gastro outbreaks which seem to haunt RCL more than other cruise lines. Any thoughts or experiences from those who cruise RCL?

Would you please cite the references which show the gasto outbreaks occur more on RC?

We are booked on an RCL cruise next year. I've been reading and hearing a lot about the gastro outbreaks which seem to haunt RCL more than other cruise lines. Any thoughts or experiences from those who cruise RCL?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Obviously you've already read and heard of experiences concerning gastro outbreaks haunting RC. Was your info that you read and heard from those that cruise with RC? :confused:

Edited by davekathy

It's also the time of year. Gastro illnesses are more common in the winter time. Wash hands and do not touch your face at all with your hands. I see people licking their fingers and touching serving utensils, etc. Horrible idea. I NEVER lick my fingers and I rarely get sick. Use a napkin. I also push elevator buttons with my knuckles, all the time, not just on cruises.

All cruise lines experience it and most is due to lack of hand washing.

The thing I do not do that I hear others doing is wiping down remotes, counters and other surfaces in their cabins. I dont' think people realize that part of the cleaning done between cruises is wiping down of surfaces.

As above poster said, Purell is basically useless against Noro and I avoid it when possible.

24 cruises and we have never been sick outside of a minor cold that DH caught from a table mate after shaking his hand and finding out later he had a "mild cold" and didn't say anything. Really?

Wash hands, wash hands, wash hands. Sing the happy birthday song to yourself while washing your hands,that is a minimum amount of time to thoroughly wash.

Do not touch anywhere on your face mouth, nose, or eyes.

Cunard's Queen Mary 2 has the long hand washing basin right before entering the buffet. The first time we were on QM2 I wondered why all ships don't have that .

The most common causes are - people who are infected not washing their hand then touching surfaces, utensils etc. which are then touched by others = illness spreads

And presumably, people who are ill lying on their health declaration through fear of not getting their holiday

While I was on Navigator recently I saw a 'gentleman' used the urinal and then walk out without washing his hands. Vile.

Funny! The coins in your pocket are dirtier than that guys...member...

Actually, men would be better served washing their hands *before* urinating.

But yes, washy washy!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Forums mobile app

Here's the thing....you get it because YOU don't wash your hands before touching your mouth, nose or eyes....those are the entry points! You could have germs slathered on your hands...as long as YOU don't give them entry into your system, you will be fine. Germs are everywhere. Most won't make a normally healthy person ill....but noro is pretty virulent....and it's nasty if you catch it! Simply NEVER touch your face without washing your hands first. Easier said than done, I know.

Doesn't matter if others don't wash their hands, really....it's up to YOU TO WASH YOUR HANDS!

You can have the noro-virus BEFORE you have symptoms....so you aren't lying on the health questionnaire....when you board, you're not feeling ill, but the virus is already IN you. That's why this particular illness spreads so readily. I can almost guarantee that if you are having "symptoms", you will not be boarding the ship...you will be lying in a bed, hoping to die. Yes...it's that bad!

You’ve missed part in the first paragraph.

If Bob has noro on his hands and touches a ladle, yes, he’s transferred it to the ladle. Then Jane touches it.

But until Jane puts her hands to her face and lets the noro In in that way, *it doesn’t matter* that she has noro on her hands. Get yourself out of the nail biting face rubbing etc habit and you’re almost there. And then choose to not eat finger foods, and only use the utensils, and you’re all the way there.

Second paragraph woh I quoted...nah. Once you know you have it you aren’t moving. Or you would be throwing up at the desk. Or worse.

My son and I have had it at home.

We knew ds had it the moment he ended up in the bathroom for hours. And he wasn’t moving from our condo until it was done. And then, because I’m a nail-gnawer (leftover from my nail biting days), I got it. And there was no warning where I could have felt icky but tried to get on a cruise. Once I knew I had it I was toast.

When an outbreak is above a specified threshold of crew and passengers it must be reported to the CDC.

This link will take you to the CDC site where you will see those ships that reached that threshold.

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/gilist.htm#2017

You will note they are across many cruise lines and various ships.

Remember this is only those where the threshold is made. You will read about others on this board and others or even see it in the news and it is not reported because it did not hit that threshold.

Can you minimize your chances of getting noro on or off the ship? Yes.

Can you guarantee you won't get it? No

After posting this I saw that the link was posted in post number 13 above.

Again, what it shows is that this can happen on any cruise line or ship.

With that said when it happens on the larger ships with a lot of passengers involved it has a great chance of getting into the news which this outbreak clearly did.

If you want a 100% guarantee that you will not get the noro, best bet is to stay in your house all of the time. But that will get pretty boring IMHO.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

I've always wondered about the room stewards. They clean bathroom after bathroom right down the hall. How do they keep from spreading germs? Do they use gloves? Do they use disposable cloths for cleaning?

Not only will they change gloves between cabins, but they clean in specific sequence so they can do a cabin with minimal glove changes for that cabin.

The cleaning cloths are in a sanitizing solution.

Just wash your hands, people -- that's all you have to do to avoid noro.

Not true........ for example, someone, infected with NORO, throws up in an elevator you happen to be a passenger in and you breathe in the air/mist, you are exposed. If you eat food which was prepared by someone with NORO you will be exposed. You can wash your hands until they bleed and it just will not matter.

Edited by rolloman
added information

It's been reported on here before that for some reason, the CDC has a lower reporting threshold for cruise ships than for anywhere else. So, you hear about cruise ships that actually have lower rates than say, a nursing home, school, or hospital with a higher one. My oldest son (33) had it last year. He caught it from a co-worker, but fortunately, it didn't turn into an outbreak as only the two had it. If you've ever had a gastrointestinal virus, there's a chance it was noro, but naming it doesn't really matter as they're all pretty contagious. But, people lose their minds when they talk about cruise ships and noro, even though it's more common in hospitals and schools than it is onboard ships.