Norwegian cruise line reviews

jrkast5

I was asked to go on a NCL cruise and would like to know what they are like. I am a RCL and Celebrity cruiser. I went on Carnival over the summer with a group and will NEVER cruise them again. The ship was dirty, the staff unhappy and my fellow cruisers were rude, rude rude. I couldn't wait to get off that ship.

I was asked to go on a NCL cruise and would like to know what they are like. I am a RCL and Celebrity cruiser. I went on Carnival over the summer with a group and will NEVER cruise them again. The ship was dirty, the staff unhappy and my fellow cruisers were rude, rude rude. I couldn't wait to get off that ship.

What ship? I think there is a big difference between NCL's older ships and their newer ones. The biggest thing to understand about NCL is their Spirit Airlines approach to cruising. Money grabs exist on all lines but I don't think anyone nickels and dimes like NCL...right down to charging you gratuities on free items.

But on the bright side, I loved my cruise on Escape. I'd rate that experience up there with RCI's Freedom Class.

By the way, I think you're posting on the perfect board...so you get more of a variety rather than mostly NCL enthusiasts.

Perhaps with the exception of Celebrity (sort of a wannabe premium line), the rest you mentioned are all pretty much the same (not unlike the big three automakers).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Make sure to look at the room diagrams once you find a ship you're interested in. We found a nice itinerary, then looked at the cabins and found that the bathroom was very exposed, no privacy. The sink was in the bedroom, and the toilet and shower had semi-opaque glass right into the entry hall by the door. Not all ships or cabins are like that, but it's something to check if that's something that would bother you.

Make sure to look at the room diagrams once you find a ship you're interested in. We found a nice itinerary, then looked at the cabins and found that the bathroom was very exposed, no privacy. The sink was in the bedroom, and the toilet and shower had semi-opaque glass right into the entry hall by the door. Not all ships or cabins are like that, but it's something to check if that's something that would bother you.

that's NCL Epic a one of a kind

the bathroom set up freaks some people out whilst others including ourselves find it gives bit more space for 2 people rather than crowding into a small bathroom

there is a curtain to pull across for more privacy but all you can really see through the glass is a blurred outline

Perhaps with the exception of Celebrity (sort of a wannabe premium line), the rest you mentioned are all pretty much the same (not unlike the big three automakers).

I just priced NCL for a potential 2019 cruise and it appears they are charging Celebrity type fares now and it's my understanding that when the current CEO took over it was his plan to turn NCL into a premium line.

I just priced NCL for a potential 2019 cruise and it appears they are charging Celebrity type fares now and it's my understanding that when the current CEO took over it was his plan to turn NCL into a premium line.

I just can't see FDR wanting to create competition for his own "baby," Oceania. Rather (IMO), he would prefer that his relatively new family of cruise lines to dominate each industry segment (i.e., NCL in the mass market; Oceania in premium and Regent in Luxury). If anything else, I expect he will want to do more multi-million dollar retrofits (like Sirena) of classic ships acquired from wannabes (e.g., Princess or Celebrity) or possibly add the smaller expedition segment to the portfolio. Perhaps, eventually, we will also see more O class builds like 1100 passenger Marina and Riviera.

The challenge with NCL (or any mass market line [other than product focused Disney]) is that it is trying (and sadly -given its size- needs) to be "everything to everybody" across an impossibly diverse demographic. Witness jury-rigged concepts like "The Haven" where, once you walk out of the supposedly elite enclave, you're still pretty much on the Vegas strip.

There are, of course, a number of things that successfully work on Oceania and Regent that may be doable on NCL: better variety and quality of food preparation and standards of hotel service come to mind. But, it is/will be an uphill journey because of the ultra-heterogeneous passenger base on NCL.

BTW, on a somewhat related topic, comparing cabin prices may be a good start in the decision making process but it is worthless if then not tempered by consideration of the "net daily rate" for ALL

associated expenses. For example, sometimes "higher" cabin fares on some lines include international airfare....... yada yada yada.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

I just can't see FDR wanting to create competition for his own "baby," Oceania. Rather (IMO), he would prefer that his relatively new family of cruise lines to dominate each industry segment (i.e., NCL in the mass market; Oceania in premium and Regent in Luxury). If anything else, I expect he will want to do more multi-million dollar retrofits (like Sirena) of classic ships acquired from wannabes (e.g., Princess or Celebrity) or possibly add the smaller expedition segment to the portfolio. Perhaps, eventually, we will also see more O class builds like 1100 passenger Marina and Riviera.

The challenge with NCL (or any mass market line [other than product focused Disney]) is that it is trying (and sadly -given its size- needs) to be "everything to everybody" across an impossibly diverse demographic. Witness jury-rigged concepts like "The Haven" where, once you walk out of the supposedly elite enclave, you're still pretty much on the Vegas strip.

There are, of course, a number of things that successfully work on Oceania and Regent that may be doable on NCL: better variety and quality of food preparation and standards of hotel service come to mind. But, it is/will be an uphill journey because of the ultra-heterogeneous passenger base on NCL.

I don't think he wants competition for Oceania but rather a gateway for NCL passengers to segue to Oceania and accomplishing this by moving NCL up on the cruise line "food chain". I think most would consider HAL and Celebrity to be premium and Oceania to be luxury, but however one looks at it Del Rio wants to reposition NCL away from mass market and he's certainly accomplished this vis a vis price (not sure if the onboard experience has increased proportionally with the fare increases).

I don't think he wants competition for Oceania but rather a gateway for NCL passengers to segue to Oceania and accomplishing this by moving NCL up on the cruise line "food chain". I think most would consider HAL and Celebrity to be premium and Oceania to be luxury, but however one looks at it Del Rio wants to reposition NCL away from mass market and he's certainly accomplished this vis a vis price (not sure if the onboard experience has increased proportionally with the fare increases).

It is very possible that he may be testing what the market will bear. Why not charge more for soda or room service if you can still fill the ship.

Though the lines between segments are often blurred depending on who's rating them, I doubt that Oceania's marketing materials will ever self-identify as anything other than its trademark "ultra-premium." The title "luxury" suggests (perhaps erroneously) a homogeneous exclusivity that is not typical on Oceania (or Azamara). One of the reasons we like Oceania is our own perception that the passenger base is comprised of well-traveled, cosmopolitan professionals and tradesmen who have worked hard for their money. And then, of course, there's always the food!

It is very possible that he may be testing what the market will bear. Why not charge more for soda or room service if you can still fill the ship.

Though the lines between segments are often blurred depending on who's rating them, I doubt that Oceania's marketing materials will ever self-identify as anything other than its trademark "ultra-premium." The title "luxury" suggests (perhaps erroneously) a homogeneous exclusivity that is not typical on Oceania (or Azamara). One of the reasons we like Oceania is our own perception that the passenger base is comprised of well-traveled, cosmopolitan professionals and tradesmen who have worked hard for their money. And then, of course, there's always the food!

And it may be after, what, 4 years at the helm he realizes that it's going to take longer than he thought. The people that sail NCL seem to like the product so there's that.

They have a long way to go if they want to become a premium line. We've cruised three lines and I would rate them 4th.

They have a long way to go if they want to become a premium line. We've cruised three lines and I would rate them 4th.

I haven't read anything on the forum that would lead me to believe that we would be receiving that much more in improvements versus the increase in fares.

I couldn't agree more. I have sailed Princess, Disney, Celebrity and NCL. Within each cruise line the ships differ so there is always a variable (crapshoot) on what your experience will be. I find that with the exception of Disney the cruise lines are more alike than different in terms of service and ammenities.

I look for the best price on the itinerary I want to sail within the mainstream cruise lines.

I couldn't agree more. I have sailed Princess, Disney, Celebrity and NCL. Within each cruise line the ships differ so there is always a variable (crapshoot) on what your experience will be. I find that with the exception of Disney the cruise lines are more alike than different in terms of service and ammenities.

I look for the best price on the itinerary I want to sail within the mainstream cruise lines.

I have no experience with Disney, but must comment on the "more alike than different" cliche. While perhaps applicable to Princess and Celebrity , and a bit less so to HAL, Cunard and Royal Caribbean --- there is minimal reason for including NCL.

Our only experience on NCL was this past June when we sailed on the Sky to Cuba for a four day celebration with 17 family members. We have mostly cruised on Princess and have also had a few cruises on RC and HAL. To start with we found the NCL website very disorganized and hard to find information about tours, etc. The ship itself was quite nice and the staff were very cheery the whole time. The rest of our experience was a disappointment. The food services in the buffet were lacking, the entertainment was terrible, their just seemed to be a lack of organization in getting people off the ship for their respective tours, the cabin we had was small and had no storage for clothing. I must say our room steward was the best! So, all in all, we had mixed reviews of the cruise to Cuba but the experience was not good enough for us to take another cruise on this line.