Prepaying Tours on Princess

ssbeagle

But at least YOU didn’t miss out, unfortunately everyone did. You would still receive a refund of prepaid funds though. I definitely prefer to prepay and have no stress about the money while I’m on the holiday. Just got to be careful about shonky operators.

4 hours ago, spersephone said:

But at least YOU didn’t miss out, unfortunately everyone did. You would still receive a refund of prepaid funds though. I definitely prefer to prepay and have no stress about the money while I’m on the holiday. Just got to be careful about shonky operators.

Were you referring to my post where we prepaid for a tour to Arles that was cancelled by the cruise line? If so, how can you say we did not lose because the funds were refunded as we did not get to see Arles, where Van Gogh did most of his best work? DW is an art teacher, and Van Gogh is our favorite artist.

Actually we opted to take a different tour instead. It was supposed to be more money. but they allowed an even trade only after I complained vociferously. But it was definitely something neither of us wanted as much as Arles. And frankly, though the first part of the new tour was pretty good, the second half was not so good.

I certainly didn’t mean it in a negative way. I can fully appreciate how annoying it would have been for you. What I meant was that at least you were not the ones who missed out while others go to go. Unfortunately things will happen that are out of our control, and they may mean that you miss out on something that was the highlight of your intended trip, but at least you were not personally singled out to miss it, but were instead one of many who wanted to do it. 

I completely understand how horrible it would be that something you looked forward to was then no longer available. I have a booking for next year that we have been planning for the entire year, and if any of the plans go awry, we will be upset. In the scheme of things though, we hope that we manage to see as much as we possibly can. 

16 hours ago, Diver2014 said:

I have not experienced any problem with prepaying and I fully understand why Princess would want the commitment so people who book excursions intend to actually go on them and not cancel at the last minute. A good business decision in my opinion.  

What I object to is having to pay for shore excursions that can be booked sometimes up to six months before final payment for the cruise is due.

Although I really liked the old policy** of paying for pre-reserved excursions with your on board account, I would not mind being able to reserve pre-final payment time and then pay in full when the final payment is due.

** That old policy is one of the things that made Princess stand out as a better cruise line. But Princess seems to be eliminating what made them different than other cruise lines and is now more of a commodity similar to its competitors.

20 hours ago, CarolandNate said:

So on that note  This OBC gifting is not something I was aware of.  it sounds like you are saying that if I call now or in the not too distant future, I can book instead of waiting until the 120 day mark.  Good to know.  Should I consider buying OBC in advance for excursions or does that not really matter.  Like I said, I can't imagine I am going to get a better deal than the three for free that I have.  I have the room I want; I have gratuities now.  I got more OBC from Princess than I had.  Other than add on types of promos with perhaps more OBC or internet or other minor things, I can't see much that would be better.

Some T.A.'s provide OBC through Princess, it's part of their group arrangement. This OBC will show in the cruise personlizer. Sometimes T.A.'s use their own monies or Princess points to purchase things like wine, and OBC. This is what we call gifted OBC. It will show up in your on board account when you board, and maybe closer to when you board. You can only use OBC that shows in the cruise personlizer(s) to pre-purchase ship's tours.

You can book any tour that shows as available to book in the cruise personlizer. You can also cancel at almost any time.

You don't need to purchase OBC to pre-purchase excursions. It's just a wash, since any balance due is charged directly to your credit card at the time of purchase.

Agree, for those that don't drink very much, the 3 for free has been one of the best promos from Princess.

If you, purchase OBC under On board Reservations, they CAN NOT be used for pre cruise excursion purchases, they can only be used while on the ship and if not used will be refunded.

Being Canadian, I purchase OBC to use on board as Princess rate is ususally better than the bank for US$.

That is good to know.  I am not holding my breath waiting for a better promo to come about.  I'll check every now and then, but unless something comes about that is an add on, like free internet or free coffee package, etc.  I'm probably good.  With the $1500 discount I got from my original price, I think that pays for a lot of things that I had not anticipated.

Interesting to note that the added OBCs from my TA can't be used for excursions.  I should use my Princess OBCs as soon as I can.  With them, it's "use it or lose it".  What I have from them will pay for at least two excursions, which is really bonus.

All of this has been very helpful.

I have read on Cruise Critic that Princess is having another sale “Anniversary Sale “ for cruises Feb 2019 to May 2020 starting Dec 4 - free tips, OBC.

Remember when you refare for a lower price that you loose the perks with the old price and you take the new perks associated with the lower price.

Example.  I have a Med cruise on the Sky for 2019. Last Dec when the cruises came out there were no perks offered.  Later in the year, Princess offered $500/pp OBC, which I refared to get the perk. Since that offer, there have been a few different perks (beverage, 3 for free)  offered which I have not taken as I would loose the $500/pp OBC.

Edited by phabric

We were a little more adventurous with Alaska.  originally we were going to take a cruise tour through Princess, but I found it a bit inflexible about where we would stay and for how long.  The train did not excite me, not did the Alyeska stay.  Theirs only had two nights near Denali and we saw that as the point of a land tour. 

Called a couple of travel agencies up ther and got some prices.  Also ideas.  We realized that we could rent a car in Anchorage and basically build our own land tour.  Found a B&B in Healy, 9 miles north of the national park.  Took three night there.  They were great and even set us up for a plane flight from the park entrance to the end of the park.  We got above the clouds and were less than ten miles from the big guy (as our pilot called it)  Spectacular does not begin to describe that !   They told us how to save money taking the shuttle as opposed to the tours out into the park.  $60 vs $200.  The shuttles narrated as well and we could get off, saty at one stop for a bit and catch another shuttle.  We stopped in Talkeetna for a night on the way up and actually ran into people from the cruise.  They went to Talkeetna, but spent 90 minutes each way on the bus.  On the way back we went to Knik River Glacier by helicopter from a lodge and walked on the glacier for a half hour or so.  Coupon book gave us a twofer on a $350 excursion. 

Since we were a captured audience on the ship with the stops in Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway, we madse the most of those and found private excursions.  We were careful to do them in the morning, leaving time at the end in case there were problems.  We were close by, near the ship in K and J, so if we got concerned, we could walk there in ten minutes.  In Skagway, we took a 6 1/2 hour trip to Yukon, but early again.  We had to be back on the ship pretty early anyway, because we got picked for the Chefs Table dinner.  Not to mention we were exhausted and needed to take a break.  I felt comfortable with these excursions, because it is Alaska and we did our homework.

We decided that the PC stops would be better served through the ship.  They may be more expensive, but I would just feel better. And with OBCs from Princess, it's not my money.  Stuff on board like Internet or coffee packages or wine for dinner, I can deal with at the time.  Perhaps new promos will add on.

This platform is great for asking the experienced cruisers questions.  The vast majority want to share of themselves and help relative newbies like me.  The more informed we are, the better.  I have a year to learn new things.

On 11/29/2018 at 8:58 AM, CarolandNate said:

...The kicker is the pre existing conditions part.  If you don't add in a new excursion within 20 days of booking it, they wipe out the PE for everything.  Having had a heart issue some eight years ago, it could crop up and cause me to cancel something...

You are probably overthinking this issue.  Technically, the excursions by Princess are refundable.  The insurance requirement that you insure all non-refundable costs means from the point that they are non-refundable. In the event of a claim, you will have to provide proof that the expense was non-refundable.  That usually comes in the form of a policy statement and Princess won’t give you one because the excursions are refundable up to the closing time.  If your worry is you may have a sudden  illness onboard and must cancel, you likely will be credited the cost of the excursion if you have sought medical care onboard.  Even if you do not cancel, and incur the cost of the excursion anyway, simply do not claim it on the insurance and your claim will be processed without it.  You won’t be violating the full cost rule for PEC exclusions waivers.  

Edited by cherylandtk

Been hearing that.  I do understand that one can cancel right up to a couple of days before.  At this juncture, I plan to prebook as the must sees as soon as they become available, because they are mus see and I don't want to miss out.  As far as the ones that have more options, I will likely wait.  Unless I get some inkling that they are selling out or that the prices are jumping.  I like to plan ahead, but some times you just want to do something more spur of the moment.  That thinking could change.  In the meantime, I want top do as much research as I can and make good choices when the time comes.

8 hours ago, CarolandNate said:

Been hearing that.  I do understand that one can cancel right up to a couple of days before. 

Some of the competition now charges a penalty if you cancel a pre-reserved (and paid for) excursion once you have embarked on the ship. So far Princess has not adopted that bad idea.

On 12/25/2017 at 7:53 AM, Astro Flyer said:

Fortunately most of our OBC is from shareholder, military, FCD & Princess promotional credits so we can use OBC to reserve tours prior to the cruise.

Didnr know I could use my OBC for pre-payment -will look to do that tomorrow

17 minutes ago, kenzie said:

Didnr know I could use my OBC for pre-payment -will look to do that tomorrow

They originally only allowed cash payments but now accept OBC.  

That’s why they allow us to apply earlier for shareholder OBC to have it available to pay for tours.  I recently booked popular tours over 500 days in advance using our SOBC for that cruise.  Not saying all tours are available that early but have been able to book more of them well in advance.

Just noticed you’re in the UK but don’t know if the procedure (paying with OBC & issuing SOBC) is the same as in North America.

Edited by Astro Flyer

20 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

That’s why they allow us to apply earlier for shareholder OBC to have it available to pay for tours.  I recently booked popular tours over 500 days in advance using our SOBC for that cruise.  Not saying all tours are available that early but have been able to book more of them well in advance.

Just noticed you’re in the UK but don’t know if the procedure (paying with OBC & issuing SOBC) is the same as in North America.

Hi,

Thanks - I am in the UK but have used a USA Travel agent for 10 years, so North America rules apply to me too. 

On 12/4/2018 at 10:54 PM, Astro Flyer said:

Thanks again, just used my OBC to book an excursion 

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:58 AM, CarolandNate said:

The Travelguard insurance does require some sort of health issue to cancel and get one's money back.  They have a Cancel for any Reason rider, but that nearly doubles the premium.  (Bad Hair Day, etc).  The kicker is the pre existing conditions part.  If you don't add in a new excursion within 20 days of booking it, they wipe out the PE for everything.  Having had a heart issue some eight years ago, it could crop up and cause me to cancel something.  As long as I have the PE clause, I'm good.  For example, if I had a $300 for two excursion that needed to be insured, it might jump my premium by $50-$75 if I was on the edge of two brackets.  If I was in the beginning or middle, it might not make any difference.  I see that Princess will refund it all if cancelled at a certain point or put it in OBC if within the drop dead date.  Because TG bases this on non-refundable money spent, it is important to know whether one pays in full or whether they just pay a deposit which would be lost money at any point

You do not need to increase your travel insurance to cover Princess excursions, except possibly for the ones involving flights or hotel stays with longer cancellation deadlines. If you cancel a normal excursion before the deadline date on the cruise (usually about two days before the excursion), you receive a full refund from Princess.

The distinction between a credit card refund or OBC does not matter. If you cancel the excursion right before the cruise or onboard, you receive refundable OBC - which is then refunded if you do not spend it. If you cancel the cruise, you will receive a refund for all of your normal excursions.

Princess will refund an excursion cancelled for a medical reason even if it is cancelled past the onboard cancellation deadline. In order to receive a refund, you will need the ship's doctor to approve the cancellation. This will require a visit to the ship's doctor, but any travel insurance would pay for that medical cost.