Grand Cayman on a Sunday

yummysbakery

Anyone with hurricane adjusted itineraries been scheduled for Grand Cayman on a Sunday? I contacted the Cayman bureau of tourism about what was open and they replied all shops, restaurants will be open when cruise ships are in port. Just no access to government buildings or banks and most tour operators working as well.

So I know what they say but looking for confirmation from actual cruisers.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

Anything catering specifically to tourists should be open. Tour Operators will be running tours, and most (not all) shops near the port should be open. Restaurants will be open. Grocery stores, banks, government offices, and the vast majority of shops and liquor stores outside the downtown port area will be closed. If yours is the only ship in port that day, you may find more of the stores near the port closed (they'll open if the numbers make it worthwhile, but stay closed if not).

We were there a few weeks ago on a Sunday. The excursions were all running (well, not the day we went, but that was weather related), but the rest of Grand Cayman was pretty much shut down. There were a handful of shops open, but not for long. If you had an excursion that was returning on the later side, there was no opportunity to buy souvenirs in town. A lot of people seemed surprised that the ship was stopping there on a day that it traditionally shuts down. We are newbies, so we had no clue about this until we got there, and the tour guide leading our excursion mentioned it (by saying "Normally I'd offer to drop you in town to shop, or take you back to the ship (we were on the far side that day due to weather), but everything will be closed by the time we get back.")

We were there a few weeks ago on a Sunday. The excursions were all running (well, not the day we went, but that was weather related), but the rest of Grand Cayman was pretty much shut down. There were a handful of shops open, but not for long. If you had an excursion that was returning on the later side, there was no opportunity to buy souvenirs in town. A lot of people seemed surprised that the ship was stopping there on a day that it traditionally shuts down. We are newbies, so we had no clue about this until we got there, and the tour guide leading our excursion mentioned it (by saying "Normally I'd offer to drop you in town to shop, or take you back to the ship (we were on the far side that day due to weather), but everything will be closed by the time we get back.")
Hmm that's what I'm afraid of.

What ship were you on?

That was the one we were on! Our stingray excursion was canceled due to the crazy waves. We did the turtle farm excursion instead. By the time we got back (with a couple hours to spare before we had to be back), it was a ghost town with locals yelling “Back to the ship! Back to the ship!” holding signs for their cabs. We wandered for a bit and hit up diamond international as my daughter was collecting charms, then found a souvenir shop that was open. Spent a half hour or so watching the waves. Then succumbed to the locals’ pleas to take us “back to the ship!!” Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Anyone with hurricane adjusted itineraries been scheduled for Grand Cayman on a Sunday? I contacted the Cayman bureau of tourism about what was open and they replied all shops, restaurants will be open when cruise ships are in port. Just no access to government buildings or banks and most tour operators working as well.

So I know what they say but looking for confirmation from actual cruisers.

The report is accurate. Shops that rely on tourism are not going to close when a ship is in port, except for maybe on Easter Sunday.

The report is accurate. Shops that rely on tourism are not going to close when a ship is in port, except for maybe on Easter Sunday.

I was there on a Sunday twice once in September and again in December. Excursions were running, but the it was a ghost town not much open even restaurants were closed

Sent from my iPad using Forums