Celebrity pick 2 free perks sale

coffee59

Hi

I was pricing out a cruise today with a "pick two perks" sale. The free two perks added $414 CAD to EACH cruise fare!!

How can free drinks package and free gratuities end up costing me $828 CAD more in total that a cruise without perks.

I know I have to pay service charge 20% on beverage package up front. But $414!! Is it really just the service charge?

P.S. I am new to Celebrity

The 18% gratuity on the beverage package is included you do not have to pay that on a “free” perk.

No perk is really free, but if you purchased them it would cost you more. The Classic beverage package is $55 per per per day plus 18% = $64.90. On a 7 day cruise that would be $454 pp and the gratuities are $14 pp per day adding $98pp in CAD the 2 perks would cost $681 pp on a 7 day cruise.

On a 7 day cruise the OBC is a better choice than the gratuities.

I've noticed some of the cruises list 2 perks, but when you do an actual booking you can only choose Free Drinks and Wifi, not the obc or the gratuities. Do they normally limit which 2 perks available on each cruise, like the dining selections? or, no gratuities since costs have gone on up? Hope I'm making myself clear......

I have seen some web sites that seem to only offer some combination of perks, but I think that's more a function of their web site limitations than a deal with Celebrity. AFAIK, Celebrity allows you to pick any of the four perks....and you can change them at any point up to (and probably beyond) final payment time. Discuss with Celebrity or your Travel Agent...whichever you are using.

I've noticed some of the cruises list 2 perks, but when you do an actual booking you can only choose Free Drinks and Wifi, not the obc or the gratuities. Do they normally limit which 2 perks available on each cruise, like the dining selections? or, no gratuities since costs have gone on up? Hope I'm making myself clear......

I just booked with a Ontario travel agent, and was able to choose $300/cabin OBC plus a classic drink package for 2 adults for a 7 night cruise, as my 2 perks.

(I tried pricing it on the Celebrity site (in Canadian dollars) and ran into exactly what you are saying-my only options were drinks & wifi, although they say I can choose from 4 perks.)

I ran into the same situation. Looking to book a Hawaii cruise in April 2019. A month ago I could choose out of the 4 perks which two I wanted. Now, the free drinks and free Internet are preselected and I cannot change them. I can also add the prepaid gratuities but not for free. Note: there are 3 Hawaii cruises in Apr 2019 and each one is a little different as far as the perks, including one having the option of paying more for a refundable deposit or paying less for a nonrefundable deposit. So, depending on your sailing dates, the perks and refundable/nonrefundable deposit vary.

am also looking into this, I wanted to wait until being onboard (less than 2 weeks) to get a great deal for a xmas cruise, but right now, this deal is really good.. and only $25/person deposit...

Would I get extra waiting to book onboard, right now, drink package and $300 obc is quite good for a 7 night cruise...

newlu

am also looking into this, I wanted to wait until being onboard (less than 2 weeks) to get a great deal for a xmas cruise, but right now, this deal is really good.. and only $25/person deposit...

Would I get extra waiting to book onboard, right now, drink package and $300 obc is quite good for a 7 night cruise...

newlu

Probably better to lock it in now with the $25 deposit and then just cancel if there's a better deal on board (if it's a refundable fare, of course).

I ran into the same problem with the Celebrity site; it wouldn't let me pick the two perks I wanted. Called my TA instead. Crappy website.

Same here. So I clicked in/out, up/down, forwards/backwards several times until the website finally was clear of any pre-selected perks and I was then able to pick the ones I wanted.

I ran into the pre perk pick issue my self. Seems they wanted me to have the drink package and wifi. I unchecked the wifi and add the OBC and hit next. At that point both the OBC and Drink package became unchecked at which point I just rechecked them and proceeded. Apparently too many people are taking the $300 OBC and it would seem that they are trying to persuade them to a slow seller or more profitable perk. I am sure any newbies who have no idea how the perks work went right along with it.

There is an on line company that I just booked today, a Celebrity Caribbean 12 day cruise, that gave me Three perks, plus an additional $100 , added to the $300, plus $50 more as a repeat customer. Even with my oceanview cabin . Feb 2019 cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just ran it on the website with and without perks and got the same price. I would find a good TA and have them help you with your booking. My TA saved me a significant amount over booking directly through Celebrity.

I really resent being told my four "free perks" will run up the price by $300 which is the case on a cruise we are considering. Tell me the four perks can be had for an additional $300 and I'm fine with it, but once "free" enters the picture, I feel like I'm being taken. Maybe it's just me

I just booked with a Ontario travel agent, and was able to choose $300/cabin OBC plus a classic drink package for 2 adults for a 7 night cruise, as my 2 perks.

(I tried pricing it on the Celebrity site (in Canadian dollars) and ran into exactly what you are saying-my only options were drinks & wifi, although they say I can choose from 4 perks.)

I went back into their website today and I can now choose the 2 perks I want by clicking the highlighted one to get rid of it and then clicking the one I want.

However, the deposit is now $25, instead of $250pp. I am re booking.

I never just book on the website...I always go through a travel agent. Much easier, much better deals. Of course, it all depends on the travel agent you use...and, unfortunately, due to Cruise Critic rules, none of us can recommend any travel agent here...so you will have to do your own research. But, many high volume travel agents "discount" cruises in various ways--often starting with the cruise line's current prices and deals and then adding additional perks--like additional OBC--which, unlike the cruise line OBC, is refundable at the end of the cruise if not used. Also, some TAs have access to special "group rates" which get you a lower price (and, no, you don't have to belong to some group or participate in any activities--it's merely a rate based on the travel agency reserving a number of cabins).

Then, your TA can lay it all out for you--including all of the prices and options.

For example, I just booked an Asia cruise for December on Millennium...My TA quoted me prices in all categories and with the various perk options being offered. (And, yes, no perk is really "free"--it's all blended into whatever price you choose...and that price MAY be better or worse depending on which perks you pick).

So, when I looked at the options my TA put forth, I considered them with the idea that, if I took that "Go Better" (two perk) option, I would choose the drink package and the free gratuities. Why? On a 14 night cruise, the per person gratuities, at the new rates, would come to $203 per person, whereas the OBC was only $300 FOR THE CABIN...So, the gratuities are worth $106 more and I'd pay either way. I don't get the internet package because, as an Elite Plus Captains Club member I already get enough free internet for my modest needs (only checking email for a few minutes a day). I also get free drinks from 5-7, but, the unlimited drink package covers my drinks at other times (wine at dinner, drinks during the show and late night, a coke at lunch, etc.)

And, for example, if I took the OV guarantee rate--with perks-- I was quoted, my TA threw in another $425 that she didn't throw in on the lower no perks rate. I also compared this rate with the lower "inside" rate she quoted me with no perks but with an extra TA $50 OBC. At that point, it became simple math. The difference in price for the OV with perks over the OV without perks was $635 ($4283 vs. $4918)...when you figure in the value of the OBC and tips alone ($425 plus $406 equals $831), I'm already almost $200 ahead taking the deal with the perks...and getting free drinks on top of that!

The Inside deal--with no perks--was $3718 with a $50 OBC, so, basically, a net $3668. The difference between this and that OV deal comes to $1250 ($4918 minus $3668). But when you subtract the value of the OBC and gratuities ($1250-$831), the real difference comes to a mere $419--So, for $419 more, I get a window and free drinks throughout the cruise. If I divide that $419 by the length of the cruise--14 nights--it comes to only $14.96 per person per day--for a WINDOW and UNLIMITED DRINKS...Everything else is identical...The decision became easy.

So, that is, basically, how to analyze these deals. If you don't drink, the equation is quite different. But, just don't worry about the "free" wording...It is what it is...Compare the costs. Remember, you will pay tips either way--though you may or may not drink. If you are NOT using a TA, that extra TA OBC drops out of the equation. Without that extra $425, I would, basically, be spending over $30 per day per person for that window and drinks--which may or may not change my thinking a bit.

But, for you, set forth your options in two columns and just do the math. Sometimes it works out well, sometimes it doesn't. Once, I compared the options (perks vs. no perks) on a 7-night Alaska cruise and found I'd be paying MORE for gratuities and drinks than I would with the perk price than without!

Good luck...

I never just book on the website...I always go through a travel agent. Much easier, much better deals. Of course, it all depends on the travel agent you use...and, unfortunately, due to Cruise Critic rules, none of us can recommend any travel agent here...so you will have to do your own research. But, many high volume travel agents "discount" cruises in various ways--often starting with the cruise line's current prices and deals and then adding additional perks--like additional OBC--which, unlike the cruise line OBC, is refundable at the end of the cruise if not used. Also, some TAs have access to special "group rates" which get you a lower price (and, no, you don't have to belong to some group or participate in any activities--it's merely a rate based on the travel agency reserving a number of cabins).

Then, your TA can lay it all out for you--including all of the prices and options.

For example, I just booked an Asia cruise for December on Millennium...My TA quoted me prices in all categories and with the various perk options being offered. (And, yes, no perk is really "free"--it's all blended into whatever price you choose...and that price MAY be better or worse depending on which perks you pick).

So, when I looked at the options my TA put forth, I considered them with the idea that, if I took that "Go Better" (two perk) option, I would choose the drink package and the free gratuities. Why? On a 14 night cruise, the per person gratuities, at the new rates, would come to $203 per person, whereas the OBC was only $300 FOR THE CABIN...So, the gratuities are worth $106 more and I'd pay either way. I don't get the internet package because, as an Elite Plus Captains Club member I already get enough free internet for my modest needs (only checking email for a few minutes a day). I also get free drinks from 5-7, but, the unlimited drink package covers my drinks at other times (wine at dinner, drinks during the show and late night, a coke at lunch, etc.)

And, for example, if I took the OV guarantee rate--with perks-- I was quoted, my TA threw in another $425 that she didn't throw in on the lower no perks rate. I also compared this rate with the lower "inside" rate she quoted me with no perks but with an extra TA $50 OBC. At that point, it became simple math. The difference in price for the OV with perks over the OV without perks was $635 ($4283 vs. $4918)...when you figure in the value of the OBC and tips alone ($425 plus $406 equals $831), I'm already almost $200 ahead taking the deal with the perks...and getting free drinks on top of that!

The Inside deal--with no perks--was $3718 with a $50 OBC, so, basically, a net $3668. The difference between this and that OV deal comes to $1250 ($4918 minus $3668). But when you subtract the value of the OBC and gratuities ($1250-$831), the real difference comes to a mere $419--So, for $419 more, I get a window and free drinks throughout the cruise. If I divide that $419 by the length of the cruise--14 nights--it comes to only $14.96 per person per day--for a WINDOW and UNLIMITED DRINKS...Everything else is identical...The decision became easy.

So, that is, basically, how to analyze these deals. If you don't drink, the equation is quite different. But, just don't worry about the "free" wording...It is what it is...Compare the costs. Remember, you will pay tips either way--though you may or may not drink. If you are NOT using a TA, that extra TA OBC drops out of the equation. Without that extra $425, I would, basically, be spending over $30 per day per person for that window and drinks--which may or may not change my thinking a bit.

But, for you, set forth your options in two columns and just do the math. Sometimes it works out well, sometimes it doesn't. Once, I compared the options (perks vs. no perks) on a 7-night Alaska cruise and found I'd be paying MORE for gratuities and drinks than I would with the perk price than without!

Good luck...

Looks and sounds like you use the same calculator as I do.

Edited by davekathy

Great post, Bruin Steve. And that's exactly how we analyze which option to go with when booking Celebrity. I'm sure Celebrity banks on a percentage of people not going through all the mathematical exercises and making choices that ultimately benefit the cruise line. But its the consumer's responsibility to do the math homework when presented with so many different options, IMO.

I just booked a cruise through our big box TA but used Canadian site to price/research first. Online, the default selection is drink package and wifi. You have to deselect wifi by clicking in the upper left corner, then select the OBC. Also received a $310 gift card in addition to the above.

Edited by stoddaj1
more info added