Beach at grand turk

MajorDewey

We are on the Conquest in March and will be stopping at Grand Turk. I know that there is a beach just to the left as you come from the pier. Does anyone know how much it costs? What about cabanas or umbrellas?

The beach chairs at Grand Turk are free. The loungers at the Margaritaville pool are also free. There is a cost for the cabanas at Margaritaville and they have to be reserved through the shore excursions, and they go pretty quickly. You can check the cost by checking the shore excursions for your particular cruise in your cruise manager.

I am wondering how long ago people were at Grand Turk and beach chairs were free... There were no free chairs when we were there February 2016. Unless, there are only a few, which were gone before we got there.

Carnival Sunshine was already at the dock when we arrived, and we were almost unable to dock. After many attempts, we ended up getting off the boat a few hours later than our expected arrival time. This was our first time getting into Grand Turk. A few years earlier, when we were also the second ship to arrive, we did not get in because it was too rough.

Margaritaville was packed! We then walked down the beach, which was also quite full. There were no loungers except the ones that vendors tried to stop us to rent. We ended up renting 2 loungers and an umbrella for the outrageous price of $20 for only a couple of ours. We had rented the same in Amber Cove a few days earlier for only $8.

I was there last week, so perhaps I can provide some updated information..

There are 100's of chairs available on the left hand side as you exit the ship. (You cannot miss them) :cool:

If you do approach any / all the chairs with an umbrella , you will be accosted by the

"locals" for payment in the $20/ $25 range for use of a pair of chairs and an umbrella for the day.

They wont however tell you that any chair without an umbrella is indeed FREE. (Most are the blue lounge chairs)

Stake your claim early, as if there are 2 ships in port, the free chairs fill up quickly.

As a side note, the bugs / flies / mosquitos were pretty bad last week.

Hope that helps!

I was there last week, so perhaps I can provide some updated information..

There are 100's of chairs available on the left hand side as you exit the ship. (You cannot miss them) :cool:

If you do approach any / all the chairs with an umbrella , you will be accosted by the

"locals" for payment in the $20/ $25 range for use of a pair of chairs and an umbrella for the day.

They wont however tell you that any chair without an umbrella is indeed FREE. (Most are the blue lounge chairs)

Stake your claim early, as if there are 2 ships in port, the free chairs fill up quickly.

As a side note, the bugs / flies / mosquitos were pretty bad last week.

Hope that helps!

That explains why chairs were not free when we arrived ~ There were no empty chairs without umbrellas. Just a couple with umbrellas and money collectors standing next to them. Our experience was not good when we were there. The beach was beautiful; however, this was only the second port we have been to (and, we have been to many) where we felt like the locals were just out to rip us off.

If you walk past the immediate beach area, which is the worst section of the beach anyway, there are various local vendors and restaurants you can get loungers for at different bargaining prices. The beach does get better and much less rocky the further you walk down.

Jack's Shack at the end of the beach has free loungers but $10(?) umbrellas. Other vendors in between the immediate beach area and Jack's may have "free" loungers if you plan to buy lunch or drinks at their restaurant. They are not "pushy" as the locals trying to rent the umbrellas at the main beach are perceived to be.

When I look at a picture of the port, it shows chairs to the left and to the right- I am assuming that this is not correct but an artist rendition?

When we were there, there were only chairs on the left with beach access. Kind of rock wall to the water on the right.

We walked quite a ways to the left before we stopped and paid for chairs/umbrella. We even tried to bargain, and had no luck with that. Our experience, arriving later in the day, seems to be much different than people who arrived earlier.

When I look at a picture of the port, it shows chairs to the left and to the right- I am assuming that this is not correct but an artist rendition?

The last time we were there (GT)...a year or so ago, to the right was a beach w/shade. There were chairs there, both at the water level and above the seawall.

MK3ufd_JObcQnLPOTuneWq_KFHIaGA_ROQrDmDwSiyRrVvyBknSYl6Y8Hu3pRyu4aqITR4xYh-yWj4UD64rbgnJSmMoE1Fp_UyiFmaG720DcjXfwZDFLOqtB_Iw0NFeqSuOGj1jALC5RUIYjt3wCRX49NtCUnEHpdeqZPsLRfCsstPrVCbcqymu2B4kxhPjV7WNK8PHnfvaELLELWOKOZwnBf1iT6II2aQfuTf_4vbmeezF24jMnHvQ6M9g2o6K3WY3UnPU15Ku8xZ87v9ZBGFmxitBalC10iiZyXzFpOW7RC3BtjOsj36EHHPx9zfnRLf3ua8A2zmh7dHSyK7cIpWta-2zbK8SeB1ZHnmoq-qyRnqbLx-NbKkJ9DGDyR5Pyy4F5wkfg-116bUBiHeOmKqcZFCUvoc1Aoz1Vs293ptfDR7JXQy9vhwPhoak6xDt5jqurq_YoZO7jd5kbLmAHWkOuYIbLbAQPoChhvV6WB7APtTQP1Io72PzJ6OFJLTjfUfUe4N6zDu5-km9qNEhWMP5p7LtzS9yf9QuTAdQ362ksvVwvVoOtwTwPD0EipvfOY5RdsHiU89-cNLmraMaRXNHALJ9loeLoyYtU5MTK=w1440-h1080-no

However, we took a stroll down to Jack's Shack and met some friends. They already had a table w/umbrella & chairs. Don't think they paid for it, other than the beer, drinks and food...:)

Edited by jwjax

Have been there a bunch of times, most recently a week ago today! Have NEVER paid a dime for a chair or umbrella. I took a walk way down the beach, about 1/2 way between beginning of beach by pier and Jack's Shack and I could see "kids" who "owned" chairs and umbrellas asking for $. So that is what some may be talking about/experiencing. We always get a lounger right by the pier. We have been lucky to always be either the only ship in port, or the lst one. Magic came in about an hour after us and maybe those pax had to pay for the chairs that were available. My advice is to be the lst off the ship and park your fanny on a free lounger! Plenty of them at the pool at M'Ville too, but not as many umbrellas.

My spouse & I generally bring a 6-pack of Coke and some cigars off the ship, purchase a bottle of rum in the shops, then take a RIGHT from the pier. One can walk about a 1/2 mile that way and sit on the beach where it's thought the Christopher Columbus first came ashore.

Used to be very private and quiet there, but we've seen more people the past few visits..

Later we go to Jack's Shack and say hi to "Topher the wonder dog"

I have been to Grand Turk about 10 times and have never paid for a chair nor been asked to do so. I have gotten off the ship early and late- still never a problem- however I am not interested in umbrellas so maybe that is the issue. I prefer either going right or left up to Jacks Shack as it is less crowded but sometimes stay close if the weather isn't great to be able to get quickly back to the ship. You can also take an inexpensive cab to Bohio, which is a nice secluded beach with water sports, beach snorkeling and a bar and restaurant.

I've never had to pay for a chair on the beach as you exit the pier where the ship docks in Grand Turk. Also keep in mind that Margaritaville is right there and their pool and chairs are also free. You may find this preferable because they often provide free music poolside. Grand Turk is a great free beach/pool day unless you choose to purchase drinks/food.

Carnival offers cabanas for a fee poolside at Margaritaville as an excursion, but honestly you don't need a cabana. Just enjoy the free pool that has lots of free loungers!

You can also go to Governor's Beach where nobody else will be at. Get a golf cart and ride down there. No amenities but it's also usually empty. If not there, Jack's Shack is the best spot imho. Go play with Topher :) Janet & John are great people.

We were in Grand Turk on our Dec. 16-23 Magic cruise. They have changed since we were there in April 2016. The only free chairs are the ones without the clamshells. The first three rows of chairs close to the water have clamshells covering them and it was $30 to rent two of them. I think you can bargain with the guy collecting the money, as the couple next to us got two for $25. If you have children who want to be close to the water, it is best to rent.

We were at GT last week and were told by 2 different security guards that any chair with a green umbrella were free and not to give anyone money for them.

This was our experience in November as well. The green umbrellas have "Grand Turk Tourism Authority" (or something along those lines) printed on them and there is absolutely no charge to use them. The locals have some sort of arrangement whereby they get prime real estate (first row near the water) and they can charge for their chairs and shade. These umbrellas stood out as they were not as nice as the green ones and were different colors and even a tad shabby.