What? Carnival got rid of this too?

scubamommy!

My last cruise was August 2016 and I went back and looked at pictures. No table cloths except for elegant night. We had a round table for a large group (11) and it’s a nice glossy wood table - similar to most chain sit down restaurants that don’t have table cloths. And there was definitely a bread basket.

After seeing it on several comments here, I cannot help but say that there is no such thing as "formal" night anymore.It is called "elegant" night. Some will say it is just another "cutback"! God I am so tired of hearing that word used. If you do not like the changes, find another cruise line that will give you the trivial things that you want and are willing to pay for. Let's see! Do I want to pay a higher cruise fare to have all the tablecloths washed 7 times in a week, or no cost increase to only wash them twice in a week? Do I want to pay a higher cruise fare for cheap chocolates on my pillow that I don't eat or not? Do I want to pay a higher cruise fare for 24 hour room service which I have not used in 30+ cruises or do I want those that want to use it to pay for it? Does a short visit with my Cabin Steward to fill out my cabin service card that allows me to pick exactly the same service levels that I have had in my 30+ cruises amount to a cutback? I do not think so. All you have to do is open your mouth and ask for exactly what service you want; and you will get it.
This

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Another recent change on Carnival has been termination of a hand full of major networks. Not that I want to watch a bunch of television on vacation, but when sickish

Or too tired it was something nice to have as an option. I guess I will just need to download some movies and such on my IPAD. Especially since sometimes we are at airports for extended periods too.

First world problems. :cool:

We took two cruises last year. On the Conquest in February, they came around with the bread basket and ask what one we wanted. On the Paradise in October, they left the basket on the table. Guess it just depends on the waiter or maybe the ship.

Pretty hostile response to a wry observation. Why waste time chastising those not in the cheerleading squad when there are other threads with much more pleasing content?

Perhaps you should reread the response again and note that the poster I was addressing stated that they were "really not happy" with the situation and mentioned the fact that the breadbaskets not being on the table was a very big deal for them. Nothing hostile about the observation that if this is something that truely upsets someone to the point of NOT being happy a year out from said cruise then perhaps (because they have time to do so) they may want to do something about it now. Please do not try to create something that does not exist, you are being rude and have nothing to add to this thread.

We had the bread basket on our table with two or three pieces per person on our last cruise. I'd guess they went back to this because people were asking the waiters for more bread while they were busy doing other things. As for the tablecloths... Meh.

How absurd to think I’d cancel a cruise based on a tablecloth! That’s almost laughable! Yes, I’d prefer a table cloth, but I’d never cancel a cruise based on this, as tacky as I think it is to not put tablecloths on the table. I was merely making my observations and opinions know.

I see..and it was just an observation and opinion that if someone states they are "not really happy" with a situation so far out that maybe that person has time to do something about it. Nothing absurd about my observation as it was based on your words and just a suggestion with so much time before the cruise. I hope you find much to be happy about on your cruise and have a great time!

They still have bread baskets though I'm not sure they are baskets per se. The table clothes are only available 1-2 nights on 6-8 night sailings (formal nights). I like the formality too but most don't seem to mind. You'll probably notice there has been quite a few cutbacks since you last sailed. For instance, night time room service is no longer included and no more chocolates on the pillows. Also, they only clean cabins once per day unless you ask for twice. The cheerleaders will say I'm being picky but it's undeniable the product is different. All that being said, it will still be a good time for you and your family.

they dont offer room service for free? i thought they had the free menu then another menu with prices?

I'm pretty sure when we were on the Triumph in 2016 that the bread was left on the table. There were several varieties each night. I initially didn't miss the table cloths and I like the way the tables LOOK, but with out coasters or table cloths, the table can get kind of messy.

one positive thing of no table clothes on the casual nights is cleaner tables. they can sanitize better :)

They recently added a charge for room service between the hours of 10pm and 6am, I believe those are the hours, and there is a charge of between 2-6 dollars per item. Room service still has free/included items during the daytime plus some items for extra charge.

after seeing it on several comments here, i cannot help but say that there is no such thing as "formal" night anymore.it is called "elegant" night. Some will say it is just another "cutback"! God i am so tired of hearing that word used. If you do not like the changes, find another cruise line that will give you the trivial things that you want and are willing to pay for. Let's see! Do i want to pay a higher cruise fare to have all the tablecloths washed 7 times in a week, or no cost increase to only wash them twice in a week? Do i want to pay a higher cruise fare for cheap chocolates on my pillow that i don't eat or not? Do i want to pay a higher cruise fare for 24 hour room service which i have not used in 30+ cruises or do i want those that want to use it to pay for it? Does a short visit with my cabin steward to fill out my cabin service card that allows me to pick exactly the same service levels that i have had in my 30+ cruises amount to a cutback? I do not think so. All you have to do is open your mouth and ask for exactly what service you want; and you will get it.

agree!

they dont offer room service for free? i thought they had the free menu then another menu with prices?

Check the board and John Heald's Facebook page. There are plenty of threads about the charge for room service after 10 pm that just recently started. I have been very quiet about every other change - except this. We use room service a lot at late night because we are night owls.

Check the board and John Heald's Facebook page. There are plenty of threads about the charge for room service after 10 pm that just recently started. I have been very quiet about every other change - except this. We use room service a lot at late night because we are night owls.

I’m not on Facebook but thanks for tip in case I do get on it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We cruised on the Elation in December, due to DH's lack of appetite due to chemo, we only dined in the MDR one night, elegant night, and they had bread baskets-not as big as they used to be, we sat at a table with 7 people seated, and there were three bread baskets on the table. We knocked them all out in about 5 minutes, and they did refill after we asked. Upstairs on the lido? as much bread as you wanted.

Enjoy your cruise!

... For instance, night time room service is no longer included ...
Thanks for pointing this out. I read that there was 24 hour room service but didn't realize there was fine print. After 10:00 p.m., they only offer paid menu items it seems.

No bread basket on RC Allure. Assistant waiter came around and served bread. I personally like it better this way.

I actually like the bread basket/box on the table, but I really should not lol! Since I am currently in the "shed pounds mode" bread basket on table is not a good thing. bread and butter are two of my biggest craves.

But really if no bread basket on table, you can always ask your server to bring you an extra piece if needed.:halo:

No tablecloths isn't a big thing to me - actually, I'd kind of like not feeling guilty for that inevitable bit of slop that ends up on it on occasion, knowing that the entire tablecloth is going to have to be bleached and laundered because of it.

Less bleach/laundry being done at sea seems like a good environmental move to me.