Alaska

bingobunny14

When DW and I went in 2013 and 2014 it was near 90 during the days and the pools were utilized. The 2014 trip also included Fairbanks where it dropped to the 30s at night, this was early August. The 2013 trip was late June and it was sweltering. I was on a land trip in June of 2016 and it was highs in the mid 60s around Anchorage and down the Kenai. You never know what you're going to get.

Which ship and itinerary?

Grand, Golden, Star, Island and Coral have indoor pools. Ruby and Emerald do not.

The open-jaw itinerary either starts or end with two days of Glacier cruising. But beyond those, while the weather will not be tropical the temperature should be high enough for pool attire on deck. In Ketchikan it gets over 80 mid-summer, should be nearly as pleasant in Juneau, Skagway possibly a bit cooler.

But if you are on the round trip San Francisco sailing you can forget about the pools the first and last two days. Temperatures in Alaska will be 20 degrees warmer than when at sea in the open waters of the North Pacific between the Bay Area and Canadian border.

Has anyone ever done a pre cruise land tour by renting a car and driving to Denali then drive back to Anchorage to get to the ship? We are going on Star Princess on June 2 - 9. Flying into Anchorage May 29th and renting a car drivng to Denali on May 30th Driving back on June 2nd and getting to the ship

Jan 1 -- are you planning to drive inside Denali Park?

You need to check w/the park service or AAA. For many years, private cars were not allowed in the park in order to save wear & tear on the park. Everyone had to take the park's buses through Denali. I haven't been in the park in several years.

The park is great, however you see it!

Has anyone ever done a pre cruise land tour by renting a car and driving to Denali then drive back to Anchorage to get to the ship? We are going on Star Princess on June 2 - 9. Flying into Anchorage May 29th and renting a car drivng to Denali on May 30th Driving back on June 2nd and getting to the ship

We will have 3 days between cruises and are renting a car to drive up to Denali. Haven't figured out lodging, but I think we will stay in Talkeetna, since I want to do the zipline and a flight.

I am not interested in an all day bus ride in Denali, but plan to drive to the visitors center and see the dogs. As DRS/NC stated, you can not actually drive yourself through the park like you can in other National Parks; you must take a tour bus (by reservation) after the visitor center.

I have rented a car and driven it to Denali and on to Fairbanks before returning it to Anchorage. First be sure to reserve the car ASAP as the cars get into short supply during the summer. You can only drive into Denali maybe 10 or so miles to the campground. All traffic inside Denali is on a park bus ($$$) to the mountain and to Wonder Lake (long trip to lake and not worth it). All the hotels are at the edge of Denali and book up fast as does the campgrounds inside the park.

You will be going at the beginning of tourist season in AK and some of the facilities may not be open yet. I have been to AK several times on a land trip and once by ship. It is a great place just dress rugged and use layers as it can be 50 or 90 or somewhere in between. This is indeed to land of the midnight sun or almost.

We rented a car post cruise a few years back. Princess has the McKinley Lodge that is located between Talkeetna and Denali. It worked out great as we drove to the lodge the day we arrived, the next day we went to Denali and drove in as far as we could (Savage River/Mile 15). There was a trail going up a mountain there and the views from the top were amazing. When we got back to the Visitor Center near the park entrance we took in the sled dog show and were both educated and amused. While wandering around the campus near the Visitor Center we found ourselves about 30ft from a moose cow and her calf... not a good scenario, a couple of quick pics and we backed out quick! Then it was back to the McKinley Lodge for the night. It was a very satisfying day. The next day was a leisurely drive back to Anchorage and a redeye home.

The following year we did the Tundra Wilderness tour aboard one of the park busses and realized we'd barely scratched the surface only going to Savage River. I'd say if you have the time, do this. It takes you 66 miles in. We saw lots of caribou, moose, fox and other critters.

Good advice on taking the park bus back into the park and the Denali Visitor Center that allows a good view of Denali (formerly Mt McKinley). It is a long ride but I have seen grizzly bears and cubs, mountain goats, reindeer, beavers, fox, wolves and other animals. One trip the bus driver stopped, told us to roll down our windows and wait as a mother grizzly and her cub were approaching the road to cross it. The bear turned and walked down the road alongside the bus not more than 8 feet or so away. She ignored the bus as we all took pictures. Another time a pack of wolves wandered by the stopped bus. The ride is long because the bus driver stops frequently to point out the animals. Well worth the time.

Me & DH are going to Alaska for the first time in end July/beging of august. I know it will be colder than other cruises we have done (always warmer places) Will anyone be able to use the pools or will it be to cold then..

Thanks...:cool:

We sailed to Alaska from San Francisco on the Grand in 2013 and saw people (mostly kids) in the pools every day, especially the indoor pool. We used the hot tubs a few times, but I don't think I ever got into an actual pool.

We used both outdoor and indoor pools most days on our end of May/beginning of June.

Most things open by the beginning of June if not beginning of May. We did not have anything closed even though we were early in the season.

Which ship and itinerary?

Grand, Golden, Star, Island and Coral have indoor pools. Ruby and Emerald do not.

The open-jaw itinerary either starts or end with two days of Glacier cruising. But beyond those, while the weather will not be tropical the temperature should be high enough for pool attire on deck. In Ketchikan it gets over 80 mid-summer, should be nearly as pleasant in Juneau, Skagway possibly a bit cooler.

But if you are on the round trip San Francisco sailing you can forget about the pools the first and last two days. Temperatures in Alaska will be 20 degrees warmer than when at sea in the open waters of the North Pacific between the Bay Area and Canadian border.

While it is very rare ... it can be hot in San Francisco at times. We've done a couple dozen cruises out of the City and all but two were quite chilly on sail away. But, two of them happened to be in the mid 90's .. and not much cooler out at sea. And for us, that is sweltering! Just this past June, it was over 100 degrees in the City. It is very rare but it does happen from time to time.

Going on the Star Princess on June 2 -9 We are flying into Anchorage May 29th and renting a car and driving to Denali. Should we get an SUV or an economy small car? Also has anyone ever stayed in Healy which is close to Denali? I found White Moose Lodge in Healy resonably priced and right off the highway. How long does it take to drive back to Anchorage from Denali to return the rental car? Thinking about leaving at 8am on June 2nd and driving back to airport to return the car and taking the 3pm shuttle to the port. Will we miss the 3pm shuttle to the port?

We are doing this prior to July 4 cruise. Flying into Fairbanks, renting car, doing Fairbanks, Denali, Talkeetna, Wasilla/Big Lake (We're Iditarod fans), Anchorage, Portage Glacier, drop car in Whittier prior to cruise. Renting from Avis since it's the only rental there. We're having a great time planning and finding fun places to stay along the way!

We will be in Juneau Sunday May 20th. We will be in port 8am -9pm does anyone know what hours the stores will be open?

If the ship is docked at 8am the stores will be open. They are there for the cruise passengers. When I was there last July the stores stayed open until after 10 pm. Our ship was docked until 11pm

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone used Viator Tours to take a bus tour of the Yukon? Is it better to take a train? It seems that the bus stops at Emerald Lake and Bennett Lake as well as seeing the sled dogs. Wanted to do a tour with Chilkoot Tours thatg does a train one way and bus the other but they are booked right now.

Janice

• 1 month later...

We will be arriving in Anchorage on May 29th in the afternoon. We were going to drive to Denali National Park on May 30th for 2 nights and stay in Healy at White Moose Lodge the on June 1st drive back. We are going on a Princess cruise leaving June 2nd. Was wondering if it would be better for us to take the Princess land tour on the train up to Denali instead of driving? It looks like the price for 2 nights with the train for 2 people is $839. The cost of rental is 110 plus the motel is 200 plus the gas money. Any ideas might be better? If we drive we can stop where we want along the road but also worried about any road construction.

Janice

I was in Alaska the first week of August a couple of years ago. It was Between 75 & 80 almost every afternoon. I went swimming at least 4 times. I was told it was the best week in a long time. Take your bathing suit you never know. Good Luck!!!

Tony