When to start shopping

Rayneman5

If you can be flexible and travel at the last minute you will probably find deals. ALSO in December prices will rise the week of Christmas and New Years, so if you can travel early December it will be cheaper.

Check out when the cruise lines have payment deadlines (somewhere around 90 days prior to sail date) and they will drop prices if the cruise isn't selling.

I would start now.

Lowest price, highest price and most desirable rooms go first. Good to get a booking secured and then book a hotel for a pre cruise stay.

Once booked watch pricing and if the price goes down try to secure it.

Same goes for the hotel.

Keith

planning on doing a cruise in late December 2018. When should I visit the travel agent? Sooner the better? Do all cruises offer best rate guarantee aka price protection?

Thanks

If you want a particular cabin or if you want Christmas, the sooner the better.

Sooner is better. I’ve been cruising 4 years now. My 3rd cruise was booked only 2 months before I left home for embarkation port. Every other one has had a lead time of at least six months and most are booked 18 months out. In late March going to Galapagos for a trip booked December 2015, the day the schedule opened. 1. Early bookings give you a choice of cabin. 2. Early on some routes are less expensive. If prices do drop later, you can get an adjusted fare. Depending on your country of residence and your agency’s policies.

I would definitely start at least narrowing down your choices now. Especially if you are looking at holiday cruises, you may find that your options are already starting to fill up. We knew we wanted to cruise at Christmas for this last year and started looking at our options in February, only to discover that the cruise we had kind of set our minds on, was already nearly booked to capacity. We immediately called our TA and went ahead and booked it. Some cruise lines/ships/ports/dates, have a regular crowd and things book up FAST.

We booked Ovation of the Seas nearly eighteen months prior to departure for a NewYears Cruise. A friend tried to book a couple of months later and there were no vacancies.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Usually booking early results in lower prices. The big exception I've noticed to this is with NCLJanuary sailings out of NY, particularly the 10 or 14 day sailings. I've noticed those fares get slashed big time from about 60 days out in an effort to reach capacity. Other last minute sales can be hit or miss.

Every line has their own policy on fare reductions, some you can call or email when you see a lower fare than what you booked, others require you to cancel and rebook. Often a new lower fare doesn't let you stay in the cabin you originally booked, or let you retain any comps or OBC. It pays to read the fine print, or let your travel agent handle these details.

Enjoy doing your research!