Unsolicited phone calls?

jaxyankee

I booked my first cruise ever and it's on Carnival. Now I am receiving unsolicited phone calls from hotel chains that I never did before. Of course I also signed up for cruisecritic.com. Anyone have this experience and know who gave my phone number out?

I started getting 1 to 3 calls a day from resort rewards. Thankfully I can block the numbers on my cell phone, but they still continue but now only about once a month....Who knows how they got my number....scam! My Mom gets calls every day from hotels saying that she has stayed there "recently". Dear Mom is 92, she hasn't been to any hotel in her name in many years. Scammers.

So the dirty secret in the travel industry is that there are all kinds of secret alliances and the trading of e-mail and phone info. So what to do? Our land line phone service is through our Cable Company (Compast) and its easy for us to go online to our account and block any phone number. DW and I do not generally answer any calls from non-friends. If we get more calls (from a number) then we like, we simply block the phone number.

Hank

I would followup with the Agency. It might be them or it might be coincidental. I have a friend who uses them who has never had this problem.

Glad you can block the numbers.

Thank goodness for this feature on both land lines and cell phones because the do not call (I think that is what they call it) doesn't seem to work these days even though we've signed up for it.

Keith

I would followup with the Agency. It might be them or it might be coincidental. I have a friend who uses them who has never had this problem.

Glad you can block the numbers.

Thank goodness for this feature on both land lines and cell phones because the do not call (I think that is what they call it) doesn't seem to work these days even though we've signed up for it.

Keith

I think the problem with the Do Not Call registry is that only legitimate companies will care enough to respect it, but all the nuisance calls are from scammers and other non-legitimate companies.

All phone numbers come up on our TV screen and we only answer if we know the caller. Or it comes up on our house phone.Otherwise the caller always hangs up when they hear my message to a leave message. If it is a legitimate call they will start to leave a message and I'll pick up and answer.

When get a call on my cell, I tell them this is a Real Estate company, a business, take us off your call list.

Once at a travel show, run by the big auto breakdown company, I entered a number of cruise contests. Within a few days I was receiving all sorts of telemarketing calls, starting with the free cruise on a marginal ship to the Bahamas, to the alleged local police dept seeking donations. Yes, I'm on the DNC registry and have an unpublished telephone number. Doesn't eliminate the unscrupulous scammers. My iphone has a list of blocked calls that continues to grow weekly.

DH likes to answer his phone with, "FBI, Telemarketing fraud dept." Click!

Darcy

I constantly receive these resort calls on my cell phone, and they all have fake numbers that come up as being from my area. I've never booked on Carnival.

I no longer bother to answer the phone if I don't recognize the number.

The Do Not Call registry is really useless.

If you book/buy something online and you agree to the big statement towards the end, then somewhere in there is language that allows the seller and/or its partners to use your information. Unfortunately most of the time if you don't agree the transaction won't happen. Brick & mortar will less likely to have this, but still possible.

A loophole in the law basically says if you have a "business relationship" with the other party, then they can call, solicit you for new products and services, it also allows them to pass your information on to their "business partners". If you want them to stop then you must "opt out".

Financial institutions are required to send out a "privacy notice" every year. Read it, it'll tell you what they do with your information and how to "opt out"

I think the problem with the Do Not Call registry is that only legitimate companies will care enough to respect it, but all the nuisance calls are from scammers and other non-legitimate companies.
Plus if people on the Do Not Call list don't report the offenders, they will continue to do it.