All Ama cruisers!!! Share expierences and ideas

Crusin-Suzan

It does seem so strange that AmaWaterways has elected to charge for this coverage. As far as I can determine, all other cruise lines appear to be offering cancellations for no charge. It would be helpful to understand AMA’s thinking. It seems out of character for them given their reputation for customer service. 

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

AMA has apparently changed their policy:

Hi Jazz, you mean they changed it after I was given a full refund?

3 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Lois: I was quoting you, in response to the prior three posts with outdated info.

Oh...ok....I was confused...thanks:classic_biggrin:

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

Lois R, you were smart to take cash.  Who knows if this company will make until next year.

Yea, very true.

I have another cruise that has a credit on there but it is with SS and they are part of ROYAL LTD now. So I think

I will be ok with that one.

I think that fears of massive cruise line bankruptcies are overblown – and certainly premature.  When Renaissance went belly up it was unusual even in the aftermath of 9/11, and was caused by their extreme expansion plans of financing eight new builds simultaneously on credit as an independent line.  Meanwhile, seven of their eight original ships and all eight of the new ships are still sailing today under different owners. Today there are lots of ships under construction, but all that I know of are financed by deep pocket owners.

1 hour ago, Cathysocal said:

Lois R, have you actually received your refund? I was first told by Ama that it would be 24 - 48 hours, then 1 week, today they say 1 to 1.5 weeks. It is approaching 1 week now.  I will feel better when I see the credit on my card.

Hi, I have received 1/2 of it.  I actually fully cancelled on Saturday and so waiting on the last 1/2. So basically, it took

2 calls to get the 100% to be credited.  I do see 1/2 of it on my VISA right now.  I am guessing the balance of the refund will probably be in the next week or so.

But I was not given an exact date.  Did you get an email with the total refund amount

you are due? What date was that? I would give them a few days.

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hi, I have received 1/2 of it.  I actually fully cancelled on Saturday and so waiting on the last 1/2. So basically, it took

2 calls to get the 100% to be credited.  I do see 1/2 of it on my VISA right now.  I am guessing the balance of the refund will probably be in the next week or so.

But I was not given an exact date.  Did you get an email with the total refund amount

you are due? What date was that? I would give them a few days.

I cancelled on 3/11/2020 and at that time was only getting 20% back. On 3/13 they told me I would get a 100% refund.  I called again today after your post. My cancellation is still pending and has not been processed yet. They are doing more investigation and will call me back by end of day. I hope they are not going to renege, it sounds like that possibility exists.

Thanks for letting me know about your experience so I could be more authoritative.  Earlier today, they simply told me to keep waiting.

Edited by Cathysocal
Corrected date

6 minutes ago, Cathysocal said:

I cancelled on 3/11/2020 and at that time was only getting 20% back. On 3/13 they told me I would get a 100% refund.  I called again today after your post. My cancellation is still pending and has not been processed yet. They are doing more investigation and will call me back by end of day. I hope they are not going to renege, it sounds like that possibility exists.

Thanks for letting me know about your experience so I could be more authoritative.  Earlier today, they simply told me to keep waiting.

Hi, I doubt they will renege on you.   The gal who helped me emailed me a confirmation with the amount

I am still due. I will give them till next week and will keep checking my VISA as well.  March 13th? That was not

that long ago really.

15 minutes ago, Cathysocal said:

Ama called me back and has reneged.  I now have to wait for them to send me something in writing saying they will not refund my money (except 20%) so that I can file a travel insurance claim.

9 minutes ago, Cathysocal said:

Ama called me back and has reneged.  I now have to wait for them to send me something in writing saying they will not refund my money (except 20%) so that I can file a travel insurance claim.

WOW....they just called you back to say no refund? I already got 50% of mine......now I wonder

if I need to call them about that balance they owe me.

3 minutes ago, Lois R said:

WOW....they just called you back to say no refund? I already got 50% of mine......now I wonder

if I need to call them about that balance they owe me.

It's because I cancelled on 3/11 and they cancelled the cruise on 3/12.  They verbally told me that they would give me 100% on the 13th.  Now they say they cannot. Argh.

25 minutes ago, Cathysocal said:

It's because I cancelled on 3/11 and they cancelled the cruise on 3/12.  They verbally told me that they would give me 100% on the 13th.  Now they say they cannot. Argh.

I just spoke with them and I have received 50% refund (it is on my VISA now). They are supposed to be refunding me

back the other 50% as well. The gal I spoke with said she could see it in the pending status. If they don't? I will email

them back the "refund confirmation" they sent me as proof.

Sorry they didn't keep their word to you.

17 minutes ago, Cellagirl said:

HELLO!!

Any guess as to when the next wave of cancellations will be made?  Our cruise is May 1 And we leave from the states April,28 Maybe🤷‍♀️😱😰🤷‍♀️‼️⁉️⁉️⁉️

Thanks

Hi, you are supposed to fly next month? (albeit late next month)…..I don't know but I think this will last for more

than April/May. I hope I am wrong of course but the numbers keep rising every day.:classic_sad: I am sure you can wait another 4/5 weeks and many more press releases will come out.

1 hour ago, Cellagirl said:

HELLO!!

Any guess as to when the next wave of cancellations will be made?  Our cruise is May 1 And we leave from the states April,28 Maybe🤷‍♀️😱😰🤷‍♀️‼️⁉️⁉️⁉️

Thanks

Not a chance! Sorry. 😢

All I can say is don't do anything until they actually cancel your trip for you; don't cancel on your own.

Edited by gnome12

9 minutes ago, LTC said:

All AMA cruises are now cancelled until May 31,2020 

Yep.....looks like a full press release is on their website. 

1 hour ago, d9704011 said:

It may be a little trickier than that.  I don’t see the word cancelled; operations are suspended.

Operations can be 'suspended,' but individual cruises are 'cancelled.'  AMA's own T&C doesn't refer to overall operations of the cruise line, only individual sailings: "In the event of a complete cancellation of a departure by Carrier, we will refund monies paid for the cruise or cruise & land package to those participants who have not previously cancelled." [quoting from post 69 in this thread:]

For any questions or concerns regarding your upcoming river cruise, kindly email social@amawaterways.com with your booking number and full name. We will review your inquiry with our reservations team and your travel advisor and get back to you as soon as we are able to. We appreciate your patience during this time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On behalf of all of us at AmaWaterways, we want to assure you, our guests, that you are our utmost priority. We are monitoring the current situation daily and will inform you and your travel advisor of any changes that may arise to your future travel plans with AmaWaterways as soon as they are available. If you booked your river cruise with a travel advisor, we encourage you to reach out to them directly, as we are in close communication with them. We truly appreciate your patience during this time.  Please email social@amawaterways.com with any additional questions regarding your cruise. Thank you.