US Coast Guard conducts emergency medical evacuation from Koningsdam on Feb 3, 2018

therealblackknight

If anyone ever wondered how something like this would occur, I can tell you firsthand what I saw as just got back from an 11 day cruise on board where this happened.

So day before we get back to Port Everglades, one of passengers became critically ill or injured (we never got word on exactly what happened) and required an emergency evacuation.

Early in day (think it was before 10AM) the captain and then the cruise director announced over the PA to request any passengers that had type O blood who were willing and able to provide a blood donation to go down to the Journey Ashore area.

Sometime after Noon, the captain came back on the PA to thank for everyone who donated blood but to add that the US Coast Guard would be arriving via helicopter to expedite the passenger for immediate medical care and to wait for further announcements.

They ended up asking all guests to clear out of any open air areas of decks 9, 10 and 11 aft as well as emptying some of the port side cabins aft (I forget which ones) to help facilitate the transfer. They also had the ship come about and slow to a crawl.

Hard to see everything due to other people and structure obstructions but what happened was the USCG chopper came in and lowered one of their crew on a line onto the ship, followed later by a basket which they used to retrieved their crew member and then the patient in a stretcher. Lots of circling and loiter by the chopper.

Great job by USCG and ship crew to make this all happen. Best wishes to the passenger they took off, hope you get well soon.

I have some pics I was able to take from the Sky Deck but not sure how to post them since they are rather large and can't seem to link to the imgur site that I usually post stuff. If someone can let me know how to properly put them up, I will see if I can do so, thanks.

Thanks for sharing about this. I've been aboard a few times when they had a CG evacuation it is tricky and takes lots of skill.

I tthink Copper 10-8 posted a viddeo of such an evacuation some time ago on this forum. Look on You tube, you may find it or antggoher like it there.

I am sure most here send all good wishes to tthe evacuee and hope for a full and quick recovery..

Medical evacuations are always very impressive from an operation point of view (I've seen a few) and the HAL crew really know what they are doing, but sad for the passenger having to be evacuated.

Sounds like a very serious situation if they were asking for blood donations. I hope the evacuee makes out o.k.

Not sure what you are using to post here. But, if you have apps, I find tapatalk works well for loading pics. Just choose the medium size. No uploading from a website required.

U. S. Coast Guard Air Station Clearwater shared U.S. Coast Guard Southeast's post.

27545665_10155859640701013_7388233337120698571_n.jpg?oh=9e5a6ed268c1df5c9bd60bff6050583d&oe=5B16190C

27336247_10155859640696013_8795268934115957520_n.jpg?oh=018b539e32570e18c1f15a472966f828&oe=5B157F79

27654397_10155859640661013_1188422784454087849_n.jpg?oh=5bf506bad2389b9ffdeedab36aba1f07&oe=5B12AB34

Coast Guard medevacs man from cruise ship near Bahamas

A Coast Guard Air Station Clearwater MH-60 Jawhawk helicopter crew medevacs a 42-year-old man suffering from stomach pains from the cruise ship Koningsdam Saturday, Feb. 3, 2018 approximately 46 miles east of the Bahamas. Coast Guard 7th District watchstanders launched the aircrew who hoisted the patient with his nurse and transferred them to local emergency medical services at Nassau, Bahamas. (U.S. Coast Guard photos by Lt. Cmdr. George Menze)

If anyone ever wondered how something like this would occur, I can tell you firsthand what I saw as just got back from an 11 day cruise on board where this happened.

So day before we get back to Port Everglades, one of passengers became critically ill or injured (we never got word on exactly what happened) and required an emergency evacuation.

Early in day (think it was before 10AM) the captain and then the cruise director announced over the PA to request any passengers that had type O blood who were willing and able to provide a blood donation to go down to the Journey Ashore area.

Sometime after Noon, the captain came back on the PA to thank for everyone who donated blood but to add that the US Coast Guard would be arriving via helicopter to expedite the passenger for immediate medical care and to wait for further announcements.

They ended up asking all guests to clear out of any open air areas of decks 9, 10 and 11 aft as well as emptying some of the port side cabins aft (I forget which ones) to help facilitate the transfer. They also had the ship come about and slow to a crawl.

Hard to see everything due to other people and structure obstructions but what happened was the USCG chopper came in and lowered one of their crew on a line onto the ship, followed later by a basket which they used to retrieved their crew member and then the patient in a stretcher. Lots of circling and loiter by the chopper.

Great job by USCG and ship crew to make this all happen. Best wishes to the passenger they took off, hope you get well soon.

I have some pics I was able to take from the Sky Deck but not sure how to post them since they are rather large and can't seem to link to the imgur site that I usually post stuff. If someone can let me know how to properly put them up, I will see if I can do so, thanks.[/quote

Can you post your pictures on Shutterfly and then copy/paste them to CC?

Thanks, Copper...

Is my memory corrrrect that you posted an excellent viedo in the past of an CG evacuation? I remember seeing one and thought it was yours.

I also ha ve a vague notion the ship's nurse went with the patient?

Thanks, Copper...

Is my memory corrrrect that you posted an excellent viedo in the past of an CG evacuation? I remember seeing one and thought it was yours.

I also ha ve a vague notion the ship's nurse went with the patient?

That was on December 8, last year from Oosterdam, some 250 miles south-west off San Diego. Crew member had a case of appendicitis. He was medevaced by an air crew from USCG Air Station San Diego to Scripps Medical Center, made a complete recovery :), and rejoined us a little more than two weeks later

The Coast Guard does an outstanding jobs in these situations, as do the other military services from countries world-wide! Bravo Zulu to all of them!

A ship's nurse does not always accompany the patient into the helo; it depends on the situation and the condition of the patient. The helo, at times, will have a flight nurse, or in the case of the French Navy off Tahiti in 2014, a doctor onboard

http://crew-center.com/coast-guard-medevacs-crewmember-ms-Oosterdam

Same thing happened on the Dream. Same date too. CG also had a fixed wing aircraft orbiting the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Same thing occurred at the Oosterdam medevac with a C-27J Spartan being dispatched from CGAS Sacramento, CA. The fixed wing aircraft maintain an orbit over the rescue helo and act as airborne command posts

This past week the Coast Guard from Savannah responded twice to the Carnival Pride and airlifted two Women three hours apart. One was having stomach pains and the other was experiencing stroke-like symptoms. CG said it was the first time they were called to the same Ship in one day!

Thanks for sharing, best wishes the the injured man & his family. Congratulations to the Coast Guard on a job well done. We also watched an evac from the Amsterdam off Alaska on our way from Japan.

Allan

December 8, 2017, Oosterdam, some 250 miles south-west off San Diego. Crew member had a case of appendicitis. He was medevaced by an air crew from USCG Air Station San Diego to Scripps Medical Center, made a complete recovery :), and rejoined us a little more than two weeks later

Once again, awesome work by that Coastie HH-60 Jayhawk air crew - Check out the nick name of the Aviation Survival Technician (AST) aka "Rescue Swimmer" on his helmet. Some of the toughest "dudes" and "dudettes" you're gonna find!

24958907_10155791776735729_5441798244548256215_o.jpg?oh=1b4ed1352734d6e8511dbe48a68e616c&oe=5AE3D5DF

24959127_10155791803825729_1516550267276025926_o.jpg?oh=2547378fa6ba66b0fa3a4a8dbff23d12&oe=5ADD04AC

25073460_10155791807230729_5336371978435462730_o.jpg?oh=c2f71852e0b36c86602af8c36499eafe&oe=5AE14EC3

25182280_10155791807155729_3455973677533748684_o.jpg?oh=603bd667cd0f60c65bf73120ea96e04d&oe=5B21D4DC

25075059_10155791879580729_8710998708489581199_o.jpg?oh=f1a6ae648f6ea8756eb198f060c2403b&oe=5B206575

The USCG dispatches fixed wing aircraft particularly when the operational radius of the helicopter is almost the distance to the ship. Not only does it provide an on-scene command post, but it provides a second set of eyes to keep the helicopter appraised of changes in the environment, ship motion, etc, and can remain on station if things go really sideways for the helo. They also have palletized life saving gear (a life raft and a cannister of survival gear) to drop if the helo goes in the drink.

We were on the Prinsendam in 2016 when they did a live drill with the Irish Coast Guard. This was a night drill, so they sealed off the pool area and did a test of retrieval (and return) of a person from the pool area. We were all notified earlier in the day via the daily program and announcements.

It was quite interesting to watch the helicopter approach the ship and then turn on all its lights. I tried to get some pictures, but because it was night, they were not really view-able. The ship came into the wind and slowed down to a crawl. It lasted about 45 minutes and then we had an announcement that it was all clear.

Very interesting! Hope the passenger will be OK.

I recall an interesting thread here a couple or so years ago about a CC'er who had a heart attack on a cruise and was medivac-ed off. I think he was on Princess.

This is why trip insurance is so important!!!

It seems to happen more often than we think. For us as bystanders it was during the first night out of port in the Baltic Sea. The second time, we saw it off the Norwegian coast where the ship had to go to calmer waters first. And the third time without a helicopter in a Mexican port. On our very first cruise, a passenger died on shore of a heart attack.