Does anyone else dislike the non-refundable deposit option?

I dislike the non-refundable too. But the Airlines have been doing this forever. But at least the option is there. In most cases, I don't book my flights until 4 - 5 months out. The way I do it, I book the rooms I want as refundable first, so I have them reserved. Once my flights are booked, then I call and change to a non-refundable to get a the lower price. There are a couple of caveats. If you're changing from refundable to non-refundable, they need to reprice at the current offer, which may or may not be better. If you have 3/4 people in a room, there's the risk of the 3/4 person limit being reached. Since they need to cancel, then re-book it, there is a very, very slim chance, that they cancel, then the 3/4 person limit options, somebody swoops in and books a 3/4 person room.

At least they still allow name changes on non-refundable.

Has anyone who initially booked non-refundable early on (July '17) and switched to refundable closer to sail date saved money? We booked 22 months out and as I have never seen a last minute deal have a hard time believing that doing this will yield savings.

Or has anyone who booked non-refundable actually paid the change fees and changed to another sail date and/or aother ship and been able to save money doing so?

Has anyone who initially booked non-refundable early on (July '17) and switched to refundable closer to sail date saved money?

Can't think of a situation you would do that - there would be a $100pp fee to do that and the fare would be higher than NRD.:confused:

If you have 3/4 people in a room, there's the risk of the 3/4 person limit being reached. Since they need to cancel, then re-book it, there is a very, very slim chance, that they cancel, then the 3/4 person limit options, somebody swoops in and books a 3/4 person room.

When you switch from refundable to NRD you don't cancel (it's like a price drop) so no issue with occupancy.

Has anyone who initially booked non-refundable early on (July '17) and switched to refundable closer to sail date saved money? We booked 22 months out and as I have never seen a last minute deal have a hard time believing that doing this will yield savings.

Or has anyone who booked non-refundable actually paid the change fees and changed to another sail date and/or aother ship and been able to save money doing so?

You can not change from a non-refundable to a refundable. You would have to cancel it and start over

Sent from my BG2-W09 using Forums mobile app

Airlines do not even accept bookings more than 360 days in advance. This is in stark contrast with cruise lines where bookings are as often as not made one and two years in advance. So the comparison with non-refundable airfares is illogical.

I hate it. I guess it works for RCCL, but it has stopped me from booking a cruise that is a few months out. I was debating between Sept 2018 and May 2019 for a med cruise and simply can't guarantee vacation time coordination just now. In the past I would book early and and feel good in the knowledge that I could cancel if plans didn't work out. 90% of the time plus it worked and we did not cancel. Now I waver and check all the different cruiselines and may book NCL for flexibililty, even though I may prefer RCCL. I am sure everyone is different but I find it discouraging to have to pay more (over 100$ p/p) so I won't book it at all for now. Probably a bad idea on my part as prices will possible go up, but I can't bring myself to pay higher... :([/quot]

I dislike it. Especially because we are a frequent cruisers with RCCL. They are coming up with so many different charges and changes.

I don't understand why it is such a big deal. Book the refundable deposit option and then we you are more solid on your going switch to the non-refundable rate.

And what does one do if the prices significantly increase?:confused:

This happened to me, I booked refundable and planned to switch before final payment, but the price went way up. It was a bummer because I could have switched over sooner and saved a couple hundred bucks, but at the same time no big deal because I booked the refundable rate at a price I was ok paying, and then got a couple hundred dollars of price drops over the year on top of that original price.

I don’t think anyone should book refundable if they aren’t ok paying the listed price. Switching to non-refundable is just icing on the cake if it works out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't understand why it is such a big deal. Book the refundable deposit option and then we you are more solid on your going switch to the non-refundable rate.

but don't fares usually go up as time goes on?

I'm getting ready to book my first RCI cruise for next summer. This is a once in a lifetime cruise with my kids; I am a single parent, it's taking me a couple years to save up for this. I am nervous about the NR deposit, but the refundable option is almost $900 higher than the NR. That's a big difference for me! (plus no $50 OBC).

I'm getting ready to book my first RCI cruise for next summer. This is a once in a lifetime cruise with my kids; I am a single parent, it's taking me a couple years to save up for this. I am nervous about the NR deposit, but the refundable option is almost $900 higher than the NR. That's a big difference for me! (plus no $50 OBC).

1) Find a cruise where the NR difference is less.

2) Fare go up only if cabin occupancy is falling short- you can track this yourself

3) Pull your kids from school if possible (I don't know their ages) and cruise/fly for less than half the price. My parents did this with me. I am fine. I never did this in college though. Fall can be good and winter is best imo, for Caribbean of course.

2) Fare go up only if cabin occupancy is falling short- you can track this yourself

3) Pull your kids from school if possible (I don't know their ages) and cruise/fly for less than half the price. My parents did this with me. I am fine. I never did this in college though. Fall can be good and winter is best imo, for Caribbean of course.

Much better solution is to book with a different cruise line. Then one does not have to spend time searching for workarounds to an undesirable feature.

This seems to not be a regular itinerary. Theres only 3 sailings next year,all In the summer. We originally were booked on a similar itinerary on NCL, but it wasnt quite what we really wanted, but we didnt think our ideal itinerary existed (not in our price range anyways). After we booked NCL, it seems RCI added these sailings, and it is EXACTLY what we wanted.......so we cant pass it up. I guess thats why im willing to risk booking the NR cabin. Now, if the NCL one had been NR, I wouldnt have risked it. I was just not THAT thrilled with the itinerary.

My son is too old (HS) to pull out for a long period of time. I would if he was younger. But also,this is a 14 nt. Cruise, so even if he were younger, still probably not doable.

If there were just a couple hundred dollars difference, id speing for the refundable, but I cant justify paying an extra (almost) thousand!

Much better solution is to book with a different cruise line. Then one does not have to spend time searching for workarounds to an undesirable feature.

I did not find another cruise line that offered this itinerary, in our price range. ( Baltic + Norway).

I'm finally going to pipe up on this one.

My philosophy is strictly from the consumer standpoint, although I know the corporate standpoint. I believe if you do not avail yourself of the product you paid for, IN ADVANCE, then you should be entitled to your full refund. If no services were provided, albeit due to your absence or not, you should get your monies back. Finis, that's all folks.

And I know you'll flame me for the corporate mentality of "The company needs the revenue and can't just let the ship vacate" argument. There has never been an instance where I have not heard the words "No there are no cabins available, cruise is full" a few days before the sailing and I do not for an instant think that cancellations due to illness or travel issues will cost the line a single solitary penny. :rolleyes:

We've only canceled 2 to my knowledge/memory and not for either of those issues. And way before the sailing. But if illness, family tragedy or travel issues befall you, it is through no fault of your own, then you shouldn't be penalized, insurance or not. After all, these premiums are what make insurance companies stinkin rich....and I used to be a rep for one of the biggest in the business.

That being said, we book the majority with the nuclear option to save money. We insure only cruises out of Florida ports. Not here in Texas. I'd have to have the plague or be strokin out to miss one anyways. But definitely not fair to charge somebody for receiving nothing!

So the airlines should not be able to have non-refundable fares? And hotels? And car rentals?

All of these offer non-refundable rates. In many cases, not just part of a deposit, but the ENTIRE COST PRE-PAID.

Remember, you the consumer has the benefit of a cheaper price. So if you don't want non-refundable, then DON'T BOOK IT. It is only mandatory on GS and higher, because people were holding out multiple reservations and only taking one or none at the last minute.

You don't lose the entire cruise fare. You do not even lose the entire deposit.

You lose $100 per person IF you have to cancel/change.

In your case, you are possibly risking $100 per person to save $950 per person. Most people would take that deal.

You can not change from a refundable to a non-refundable. You would have to cancel it and start overForums mobile app

I know you said it backwards at first so I fixed it for you. This is actually not true unless something has changed in the last couple of weeks or so. If you originally booked a refundable rate and want to switch to non-refundable, they reprice it and you keep the same confirmation number. I just did this a few weeks ago.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In your case, you are possibly risking $100 per person to save $950 per person. Most people would take that deal.

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear, it's $950 TOTAL difference for 3 of us. But even still, I do feel better about the risk now.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I know you said it backwards at first so I fixed it for you. This is actually not true unless something has changed in the last couple of weeks or so. If you originally booked a refundable rate and want to switch to non-refundable, they reprice it and you keep the same confirmation number. I just did this a few weeks ago.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I meant it as I have it in my original post you can not switch a non refundable booking back to s refundable one. Once it becomes non refundable it has to stay that way

Sent from my BG2-W09 using Forums mobile app

I have saved quite a bit by booking non refundable.

For example: Have booked HOS for 12/8/19 JS cabin.

Non refundable per person: 1848.00 Refundable: 1998.00

Difference of 150.00 per person.

OBC: 300.00 non-refundable, 200.00 refundable.

Worst I can lose if I change dates or ships before final payment?

200.00 (100.00 per person)

I don't know...you do the math. :confused:;)

I don't book cruises to change them...or do "markers".

BTW: Just called today on one of my non-refundable cruises to take advantage of

253.00 price decrease. Happily changed by CS...balance reduced...no penalty.

I'm late to the party w/ regards to posting in this thread but this sums it up for me. Non-refundable deposits have their advantages...you just need to look a bit deeper for the advantage(s)!

In the past we rarely if ever cancelled but we did change dates often. I liked the flexibility.

I read ( here) that folks would book many cabins or cruises and them decide what to take., Don't know of that is really the case or a myth. In any case, I am sure it will not go back to the old way and we'd better get used to it.

M

Not a myth. Like some that would post about drink package sharing, some would also post about multiple cabin booking. Meaning they would actually book up to six different cruises, all w/ the same preferred suite/cabin, just so they would have the cabin they desired when they figured out what week to actually take their cruise.

RCCL did good in my books.