Does anyone else dislike the non-refundable deposit option?

I know you said it backwards at first so I fixed it for you. This is actually not true unless something has changed in the last couple of weeks or so. If you originally booked a refundable rate and want to switch to non-refundable, they reprice it and you keep the same confirmation number. I just did this a few weeks ago.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

thank you. I do think that if we were to do some more comparing people would have a better base to become knowledgable. Is it indecent to ask how long between original booking (refundable) and then non-refundable and if you were able to save.

I'm finally going to pipe up on this one.

My philosophy is strictly from the consumer standpoint, although I know the corporate standpoint. I believe if you do not avail yourself of the product you paid for, IN ADVANCE, then you should be entitled to your full refund. If no services were provided, albeit due to your absence or not, you should get your monies back. Finis, that's all folks.

And I know you'll flame me for the corporate mentality of "The company needs the revenue and can't just let the ship vacate" argument. There has never been an instance where I have not heard the words "No there are no cabins available, cruise is full" a few days before the sailing and I do not for an instant think that cancellations due to illness or travel issues will cost the line a single solitary penny. :rolleyes:

We've only canceled 2 to my knowledge/memory and not for either of those issues. And way before the sailing. But if illness, family tragedy or travel issues befall you, it is through no fault of your own, then you shouldn't be penalized, insurance or not. After all, these premiums are what make insurance companies stinkin rich....and I used to be a rep for one of the biggest in the business.

That being said, we book the majority with the nuclear option to save money. We insure only cruises out of Florida ports. Not here in Texas. I'd have to have the plague or be strokin out to miss one anyways. But definitely not fair to charge somebody for receiving nothing!

Not flaming, just disagreeing. You can’t get your money back on any purchase if you wait too long. With regular purchases, you buy a pair of shoes that don’t fit and don’t wear them - you can return them for 30 maybe 90 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So the airlines should not be able to have non-refundable fares? And hotels? And car rentals?

That's right!

All of these offer non-refundable rates. In many cases, not just part of a deposit, but the ENTIRE COST PRE-PAID.

Remember, you the consumer has the benefit of a cheaper price. So if you don't want non-refundable, then DON'T BOOK IT. It is only mandatory on GS and higher, because people were holding out multiple reservations and only taking one or none at the last minute. I believe in most of those cases, people cancel well in advance of the sailing. Line is losing nothing by accommodating planning like this. I believe that was the excuse they used....

Rudeness will get you nowhere! I can book anything I like without your recommendation.

My opinion is a personal one and I am entitled to it. And don't bother replying, you're blocked.

Not flaming, just disagreeing. You can’t get your money back on any purchase if you wait too long. With regular purchases, you buy a pair of shoes that don’t fit and don’t wear them - you can return them for 30 maybe 90 days.

I have made many returns way past those dates....good companies make good on their customer satisfaction. They have the merchandise back and can resell anything that hasn't been used.

But this situation is irrelevant IMO. In the case of reservations for a cruise that you do not take, there is no excuse for denying a complete refund. But that's the way things are and we must copitulate...we've never had an occasion to cancel very often. We canceled an Alaska cruise once a year in advance because of family and a transatlantic because we decided my DH couldn't take that many days off. Also a year in advance. We consider carefully whether we can go on a specified date and cruise and so far with the 2 exceptions have never deviated or changed dates...but issues can arise, like I said out of our control. I should not be penalized for that.

And anyway, I cannot count the number of dollars I have given RCCL over the years. My good will is surely worth something to them.

Edited by BecciBoo

Until revenues suffer, the trend will continue.

I think what they doing with the cancelation windows will hurt them in the long run.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=8538

They seem very focused on trying to get people to firmly commit earlier so they don’t have to have a fire sale after final payment.

I understand why they are doing it: the sooner a sailing gets close to capacity the more they can charge to fill the remaining cabins.

But I don’t think it will work. If people can’t commit in advance, they’re not going to risk large sums of money. They’ll just book later and prices on the whole will go down.

I am fine with more options. Options are good things. As long as there is also a refundable option I am good. It makes sense to give a discount to those willing to commit to their travel plans.

I watched prices carefully when they made this change. They are not giving a DISCOUNT when you choose non-refundable, rather charging MORE when you choose refundable. ;)

thank you. I do think that if we were to do some more comparing people would have a better base to become knowledgable. Is it indecent to ask how long between original booking (refundable) and then non-refundable and if you were able to save.

On my June 2018 cruise, there was still a savings if a person who booked refundable switched over to non-refundable, until 2 days before the final payment date.

On my June 2018 cruise, there was still a savings if a person who booked refundable switched over to non-refundable, until 2 days before the final payment date.

perfect. Thank you. Let's hope that stays that way for our Jan '19 cruise.

Rudeness will get you nowhere! I can book anything I like without your recommendation.

My opinion is a personal one and I am entitled to it. And don't bother replying, you're blocked.

So others can still see my reply.

NRD is not mandatory except for suites. If you don't like the terms, then you have the option of booking a refundable deposit.

With air fare, the entire fare is non-refundable, not a deposit. As soon as you book, you pay in full, in advance. And with most fares, there is a change fee, which is typically much higher than the RCI non-refundable amount.

With air fare, the entire fare is non-refundable, not a deposit. As soon as you book, you pay in full, in advance. And with most fares, there is a change fee, which is typically much higher than the RCI non-refundable amount.

Most airlines still offer fully refundable fares - they’re just so high they don’t show up on the sites most of us use.

I think that is the fear here with the NRD for cruises. Some who watch fare closely feel the FRD fares are what the prices were before this rolled out and the NRD fares are higher and that they will continue to creep upwards to the point where nobody even looks at them.

I suspect this will result in more people purchases and using cancel for any reason insurance and as a result those prices will go up.

I think that is the fear here with the NRD for cruises.

While understandable, the world outside of NA generally has no option at a refundable rate, nor ability to get price drops. That change coming to the NA market will simply change booking patterns but won't likely have an appreciable effect on pricing.

But I don’t think it will work. If people can’t commit in advance, they’re not going to risk large sums of money. They’ll just book later and prices on the whole will go down.

The math may work out better for a lower apparent price early on, so that they don't have huge discounts at the end. Discounts that can be take advantage of for people who have already booked. Sometimes it will mean a lower fare 3 months out, sometimes it will mean cheap upgrades 1 month out- so that RCI can fill lower cabins.

I don't think they are doing this on a whim, they see losses due to the churn of reservations and how the pricing model works.

Again, we are taking advantage of the people who are not booking non-refundable suites. Almost have even gotten a loft for the fun of it, they are so reasonable.

SG65CB wrote: It does help fix one problem. There are a limited number of GS cabins on a ship and they sell out early. There were people who would book a GS on several different cruises far in advance and figure out later which one they actually want. Usually they would do this through NextCruise so they would pay very little deposit.

Now with mandatory NRD for GS that won't be happening and it will be easier to book a GS if you want one.

"unless GS or higher." This is the key. But, while Celebrity has a shorter window on the NRD (less than 12 months in my research), RCCL doesn't. I was trying to book a GS for next February but can't even touch the total fare. HOWEVER! I just checked 2020......Hmmmm, food for thought. Considerably cheaper NRD fare.

• 2 weeks later...

So after two or so years since our last RCCL cruise we decided to book a cruise on the Adventure of the Seas for next year in March. I have a great travel agent and he had to explain to me the crazy games that RCCL plays now with their bookings in regards to refundable vs. non refundable cruise fares. I do not at all like the fact that you have to pay a higher fare as well as lose potential OBC by booking a refundable deposit. I suppose from a business standpoint it makes sense, but I still don't like it much from a consumer standpoint. Thanks for letting me rant! :D:D

So after two or so years since our last RCCL cruise we decided to book a cruise on the Adventure of the Seas for next year in March. I have a great travel agent and he had to explain to me the crazy games that RCCL plays now with their bookings in regards to refundable vs. non refundable cruise fares. I do not at all like the fact that you have to pay a higher fare as well as lose potential OBC by booking a refundable deposit. I suppose from a business standpoint it makes sense, but I still don't like it much from a consumer standpoint. Thanks for letting me rant! :D:D

What games?

Airlines have been doing this for 30+ years.

And hotels and car rentals also do it.

And with all of them, you pre-pay the ENTIRE FARE when you book. Not months or years later.

What games?

Airlines have been doing this for 30+ years.

And hotels and car rentals also do it.

And with all of them, you pre-pay the ENTIRE FARE when you book. Not months or years later.

I have never pre-paid for hotels or rental cars.

We just booked non refundable cruises on board. Hoping it all works out but at least we’d only lose $200 per cruise. We also got $200-300 OBC for doing it and deposits were only $100 pp. It’s a bit of a gamble for us since our girls are still having babies and my work likes to say no to vacation time. I’d much prefer to get all my money back if we have to cancel. Pretty sure if we get burned the DH will never do it again. I have 6 booked, 4 refundable.

We don’t lose money with travel. We use Southwest for all domestic flights so can rebook within a year and not lose a dime. I don’t pay up front for hotels or cars either. I do buy cruise insurance but only at final payment.