Does anyone else dislike the non-refundable deposit option?

You can still get price drops (until final) under US booking rules, even with NRD rates.
Yes and I still check daily. I just mean that it's unlikely that the refundable cost will ever drop below our booked price (which is close to the non-refundable cost). There is about $400 difference for our room and family of 4... which I guess is about of deposit lost if we booked non-refundable and cancelled

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Not sure where you are seeing prices like that - the lowest priced Freedom cabin I see is at least $600.

I think it was the May 5th sailing. Price was per person, with taxes and fees for 2 people was just over $600.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’ll have to correct myself. I just looked again and that particular cruise is the repositioning cruise, which is probably why it’s cheaper. Just a coincidence that it was also the cruise just within the 90 day mark (it’s 83 days away). $305/person for the promenade, refundable rate. $701 total with taxes and fees (but not tips). I would love that deal on a 7 day regular route. I’d book an additional week or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, but I don't pay deposits to hotels a year in advance, nor do I pay full or any fare for plane tickets a year in advance.

What airline are you booking that you can book without paying within 72 hours (and some charge to hold the fare for even 72 hours). It is not the 80s when you could book without paying. Every airline I fly on, you have to pay when you book. And most fares have change fees and are non-refundable. And some the really low fares (both on low cost carriers and the new Basic fares on normal carriers) are not changeable at all.

And many hotels have non-refundable, pre-paid rates that are less than the normal pay when you stay rates. Many of these rates are seen on the booking sites. And even Marriott has them for some properties.

Also Hertz has two rates, pay now or pay later. Pay now is less, but you pay at booking, but I am not sure of the penalties.

This is where the travel industry is going. One, they have your money for an extended period of time. And two, they have better idea of what occupancy/use will be ahead of time.

I don't pay airfare until 6 or so weeks out. I usually book, aka deposit, a cruise a year or longer out. Everything is planned around the cruise. 😃

When do you BOOK the airfare?

The point is, if you booked your airfare a year out, you would PAY for it a year out.

Looking to book a 12 day cruise in Europe in 2019. The deposit is $450 a person. If I book non refundable and have to cancel before final payment, would I lose all $450? And if I get insurance that has cancel for any reason, will they pay me the deposit I lose?

No, if you cancel or change ship or change sailing date, you lose $100 per person.

The remainder of the deposit will be given to each passenger as a future cruise credit. It will be to each person named on the booking, NOT the person paying the deposit, and it is non-transferable.

It must be used within 1 year of cancellation.

No, if you cancel or change ship or change sailing date, you lose $100 per person.

The remainder of the deposit will be given to each passenger as a future cruise credit. It will be to each person named on the booking, NOT the person paying the deposit, and it is non-transferable.

It must be used within 1 year of cancellation.

Eek, even more restrictive than I thought! I can't imagine trying to plan with teen kids and young adults and if they cannot go, than an OBC stays in their name and not in the purchaser's name, Wow, its unlikely they will be booking on their own :rolleyes:

It does help fix one problem. There are a limited number of GS cabins on a ship and they sell out early. There were people who would book a GS on several different cruises far in advance and figure out later which one they actually want. Usually they would do this through NextCruise so they would pay very little deposit.

Now with mandatory NRD for GS that won't be happening and it will be easier to book a GS if you want one.

This is why I love the NRD. More suites available for those of us that actually know what sailing we want. No longer competing with those that book place holders. I completely understand where others are coming from but I hope they keep suites this way from here on out.

Eek, even more restrictive than I thought! I can't imagine trying to plan with teen kids and young adults and if they cannot go, than an OBC stays in their name and not in the purchaser's name, Wow, its unlikely they will be booking on their own :rolleyes:

We have always traveled with our children (now 21,17,12). I usually book when itineraries are released, often 2 years out. We have never had to cancel. Our kids are very active in competitive sports as well as the arts. We have been threatened to lose positions on teams due to missing practice or games for vacation, but that has never happened. The bottom line for us is these are kids and there is no sport, job, or activity that can replace the experiences that kids will get from traveling the world with their family.

I really like it. If someone doesn't like it then they can pick the refundable option. If it stops people from blocking out suites on a bunch of cruises then it's doing what RC wanted it to do. I think it's selfish to book a bunch of rooms to see which one ends up the better price for them. It stops others from possibly getting a room they might want and it also stops a bunch of rooms from being dumped back into the system at the last minute. If someone can't decide which cruise they want to take either they put down multiple deposits and lose some or learn how to make up their minds. I know not everyone knows their vacation schedule so far in advance, but that shouldn't be other peoples problem.

BTW, I do not own any stock in RC nor do I work for them. I will say that what they are doing with a lot of the perks sucks and they really should rethink it if they want loyal customers.

The reason I don't like it is because it could open the door to eventually doing away refundable deposits. I understand why it is needed on suites, but for us "budget-minded" people, who will probably never voyage in anything higher than a Junior Suite and like to need to change our plans, it makes us have to shell out more cash up front for the privilege of making multiple changes to push forward (or backwards) our travel plans. We used to love the dollar-for-dollar reduction to our onboard account with a reduced deposit that they used to do in the past; it gave us incentive to book a Next Cruise. We haven't booked a Next Cruise since the changes were made. I would also bet RCCL's advanced bookings have dropped dramatically since those changes too.

The reason I don't like it is because it could open the door to eventually doing away refundable deposits. I understand why it is needed on suites, but for us "budget-minded" people, who will probably never voyage in anything higher than a Junior Suite and like to need to change our plans, it makes us have to shell out more cash up front for the privilege of making multiple changes to push forward (or backwards) our travel plans. We used to love the dollar-for-dollar reduction to our onboard account with a reduced deposit that they used to do in the past; it gave us incentive to book a Next Cruise. We haven't booked a Next Cruise since the changes were made. I would also bet RCCL's advanced bookings have dropped dramatically since those changes too.

Why should you "budget minded" have the flexibility to change plans when those who book suites do not?

BTW, what prevents one from booking the refundable rate and then prior to final switching to the NRD?

Why should you "budget minded" have the flexibility to change plans when those who book suites do not?

BTW, what prevents one from booking the refundable rate and then prior to final switching to the NRD?

I am not the OP who asked the question; they asked for my opinion and I gave it and I stand by my reasons.

Bottom line is that Royal Caribbean is going to do whatever they want to do. I will continue to give them my business as long as they keep their prices reasonable and continue to provide me with an excellent onboard experience. I will just be booking fewer Next Cruises cruises with them as I did in the past when they applied the deposit as an onboard credit.

I am not the OP who asked the question; they asked for my opinion and I gave it and I stand by my reasons.

Bottom line is that Royal Caribbean is going to do whatever they want to do. I will continue to give them my business as long as they keep their prices reasonable and continue to provide me with an excellent onboard experience. I will just be booking fewer Next Cruises cruises with them as I did in the past when they applied the deposit as an onboard credit.[/quote

Totally agree w you!!!

We just can’t do non refundable. I may not get vacation approved at work till six months before and then our daughters are still having babies and Nana needs to be there for that. We had to move a cruise for the latter reason this year to 2020. I love to save money but this is one instance where we just can’t. We always know by final payment. I still like to book early to have something planned and for cabin placement.

We just can’t do non refundable. I may not get vacation approved at work till six months before and then our daughters are still having babies and Nana needs to be there for that. We had to move a cruise for the latter reason this year to 2020. I love to save money but this is one instance where we just can’t. We always know by final payment. I still like to book early to have something planned and for cabin placement.

Try switching to NRD just before final payment.