What Have you done in St. Martin?

Georgia_Peaches

We will also be on the Equinox in March. I wasn't sure how rebuilt the island was and we have a ton of onboard credit this time around. So, we booked the ship tour with the tall boat or schooner cruise. It claims to be a small tour and to allow you to try your hand at steering the boat. It at least sounds like fun!

Someone early in the thread mentioned the America's Cup Challenge. It's usually offered thru the ship.

You are part of the crew in an actual America's Cup racing boat. 2 boats "race" each-other. Lots of fun, interesting, and (as long as the boats survived) not storm effected. I don't think this is the time to "tour" the island.

We happened to do this on election day 2008 and were on the original Stars & Stripes boat. Won't ever forget that!!

Hello all,

We will be on the Equinox in March and one of the ports of call is Phillipsburg, St. Martin. We've been there before but only walked around the boardwalk. We are interested in visiting the French side of the island this time around, I think...not sure. But we do have some leftover Euros to spend so was thinking about the French side...

What have you done in St. Martin? What should be avoided? Have you ever rented bicycles to tour around the island?

Thanks in advance for tips and suggestions.

Christina

Don't think you were being insensitive at all. Out of site out of mind, that's all. Since EQ started back at Phillipsburg already, I think you are good to go. I would not plan on peddled bikes on St. Maarten, because it is very hilly; mountainous heading to Dawn or Orient beach. Roads were not affected by damage, thank goodness, but buildings and marine equipment were destroyed. Bernard's is a great tour provider and up and running. They give you plenty of time for photo opportunities, some beach time and a little time at Maho bay for a possible airplane landing photo op. Keep in mind, I mentioned some time. Many international flights (large planes) have been cancelled since Hurricane Irma and Maria occurred as the hotels are still under construction. If you don't like organized tours (better than ship tours), just hire a taxi guide. Although I did read even those are a lot less available. Many folks had to leave the island for employment elsewhere.

• 5 months later...
Best thing we ever did on St Maarten was make our own perfume at Tijon Perfumery. Great folks and very fun excursion !

The perfume shop/factory didn't suffer much damage from hurricane Irma (other than some looting), but the owner's home was completely destroyed. So ... if you want to do the perfumery tour or make you own perfumes, contact John at Tijon first ! They may or may not be able to accommodate your group.

-- Don

I would be interested to know if that was a ship excursion or did you arrange it privately?

I would be interested to know if that was a ship excursion or did you arrange it privately?

We first visited Tijon Perfumery while on a ship excursion. We liked the people that ran the place, so we scheduled "Make Your Own Perfume" class the next time we cruises to St Martin. The "Make Your Own Perfume" class was not a ship excursion, but all the taxis know where the perfumery is. We didn't have any trouble. Just be sure to schedule the class before hand.

We first visited Tijon Perfumery while on a ship excursion. We liked the people that ran the place, so we scheduled "Make Your Own Perfume" class the next time we cruises to St Martin. The "Make Your Own Perfume" class was not a ship excursion, but all the taxis know where the perfumery is. We didn't have any trouble. Just be sure to schedule the class before hand.

Thanks very much

We have never done any ship sponsored tours in St. Martin on our many visits there but have rented cars twice to explore the island, have gone to Orient Beach, Maho, Marigot, as well as spent time in Philipsburg. Very easy island to see on your own through taxi's, car rentals, or if you prefer, private tour companies.

Our favorite too. We pretty much rent cars on every island .just makes exploring so much fun.

Hello all,

We will be on the Equinox in March and one of the ports of call is Phillipsburg, St. Martin. We've been there before but only walked around the boardwalk. We are interested in visiting the French side of the island this time around, I think...not sure. But we do have some leftover Euros to spend so was thinking about the French side...

What have you done in St. Martin? What should be avoided? Have you ever rented bicycles to tour around the island?

Thanks in advance for tips and suggestions.

Christina

We enjoy walking ,from the cruise pier to downtown and back .We have done that about a dozen times.

Shop for liquor. Some of the lowest prices in the Caribbean.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The do have great liquor prices and will bargain with you. They will give you a better price if you pay cash.

I also was told by few workers that the stores are all owned by the same company.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

The island is still recovering from the hurricanes. Many of the activities mentioned are not operating. We usually walk to town and rent chairs and umbrellas on the beach facing the cruise ships. Very relaxing. We have done other activities but no longer available.

Celebrity has only returned to St. Maarten this week, so I'm hoping to start seeing some updated reports on conditions. In the mean time, you might want to consider taking a tour with Bernard's Tours http://www.bernardstours.com. Very highly rated and gives you a full island tour. You'd have to check to see what they've done to modify the tours since the hurricanes.

Another vote for Bernard's Tours. We saw a lot of the island, and our driver/guide was entertaining as well as informative. Last time we were there we did a ship's excursion to use OBC and did the catamaran snorkeling tour. Snorkeling was not very good, but we had fun on the catamaran, and they anchored at a beautiful beach.

Go to Orient beach and take in the sights. Maybe a bite to eat from one the dozens of food spots right there.

Is that from recent experience?

We have heard conflicting reports of what Orient Beach is like currently.

To OP, we usually rent a jeep and just spend day driving and stopping where we feel like...never really a plan except to end up at Maho Beach in the early afternoon and see some of the planes. Rentals are right there at the dock.

We loved the Random Wind. Unfortunately, It sank in the hurricane.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know this is an old thread, but for any new cruisers searching - Random Wind is back and running strong. We were booked on her last November (cruise was changed to Western due to the hurricane), and are happy to be booked on her again this November!

I know this is an old thread, but for any new cruisers searching - Random Wind is back and running strong. We were booked on her last November (cruise was changed to Western due to the hurricane), and are happy to be booked on her again this November!

Glad to hear it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk