CPAP on cruise--what to do?

luckycharms18

On our last cruise with a friend who uses a C-pap, she asked the stateroom attendant for the cord and distilled water. He provided both and taped down the cord to prevent tripping. She never contacted special needs ahead of time, but it never hurts to do so. They have many guests with them, and are used to providing what's needed. Don't worry.

Hi All,

This is our first cruise. I use a CPAP Machine. I read that Celebrity doesn't allow extension cords. Will they give me grief or confiscate if I bring one for my CPAP? How long does it need to be?

Thanks,

Leslie

Yes they do allow extension cords. That said the extension has to not have a surge protector built in. Contact Celebrity or your TA (if you used one) to have them note that you use a CPAP machine.

Yes they do allow extension cords. That said the extension has to not have a surge protector built in. Contact Celebrity or your TA (if you used one) to have them note that you use a CPAP machine.

Celebrity DOES NOT allow extension cords and has not for several years, if seen they will be confiscated. I use a CPAP and contacted them prior to my cruise and the bottle and cord was waiting for me when I arrived. Quite seamless

Below is from the Web Site:

• Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.
  • *Sharp Objects, including knives and scissors.
  • Illegal Drugs & Substances
  • Aerial Drones
  • Candles & Incense
  • **Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, & Hot Plates
  • Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & Arrows
  • Skateboards & Surfboards
  • Martial Arts Gear
  • Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.
  • Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.
  • HAM Radios
  • Hookahs & Water Hookah Pipes.
  • Electrical Extension Cords
  • Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.
  • ***Alcoholic and Non-Alcoholic Beverages
  • Potentially hazardous food and/or food that requires refrigeration.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/company/customer-support/help-and-faqs/pre-cruise/before-you-board

(scroll down to bottom)

Edited by dkjretired

My husband ALWAYS packs an extension cord with his CPAP machine. It has never been mentioned much less confiscated over the past eight cruises. Should he ever forget it I am sure that Celebrity would happily provide one.

Why are there always people who believe that the established rules do not apply to them?

+1 ..... don't forget that night before or after the cruise in a hotel.

Hotels usually have plugs right by the bed - usually on the lamp/light fixture or on the nightstand. I have had no issues with plugs in hotels, and Celebrity furnished the water and cord for me in December on the Equinox with no problem.

Hotels usually have plugs right by the bed - usually on the lamp/light fixture or on the nightstand. I have had no issues with plugs in hotels, and Celebrity furnished the water and cord for me in December on the Equinox with no problem.

Most do now in hotels but not a few years back. Also on various ships the plug used to be over by a desk not by the bed. So I bring one "just in case". Being a CPAP user I want to be prepared.

Hi All,

This is our first cruise. I use a CPAP Machine. I read that Celebrity doesn't allow extension cords. Will they give me grief or confiscate if I bring one for my CPAP? How long does it need to be?

Thanks,

Leslie

Ok. Here's what to do. First..helps if you let us know when the cruise is. Hopefully a little ways out. Go to the "personalizer" on the web site. It will have a medical conditions section. List that you have a CPAP & need the following: An extension cord & distilled water(if you have a humidifier like mine)If you used a T/A, have them make the contact for you. This is some of the stuff they should do for you. Overall, these items will be delivered to your room a few hours after you settle in. If you see your attendant, do politely remind them of those needs. Extension cords are mostly confiscated(for good reason, fire hazards)

My husband ALWAYS packs an extension cord with his CPAP machine. It has never been mentioned much less confiscated over the past eight cruises. Should he ever forget it I am sure that Celebrity would happily provide one.

Well, if everyone who needs one & has PROPERLY requested it, gets theirs & there's none left for you, don't come whining back to this site! DO the right thing & request it under the medical needs list. Your husband is no more entitled than everyone else!

Celebrity DOES NOT allow extension cords and has not for several years, if seen they will be confiscated. I use a CPAP and contacted them prior to my cruise and the bottle and cord was waiting for me when I arrived. Quite seamless

Below is from the Web Site:

• Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.
  • *Sharp Objects, including knives and scissors.
  • Illegal Drugs & Substances
  • Aerial Drones
  • Candles & Incense
  • **Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, & Hot Plates
  • Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & Arrows
  • Skateboards & Surfboards
  • Martial Arts Gear
  • Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.
  • Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.
  • HAM Radios
  • Hookahs & Water Hookah Pipes.
  • Electrical Extension Cords
  • Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.
  • ***Alcoholic and Non-Alcoholic Beverages
  • Potentially hazardous food and/or food that requires refrigeration.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/company/customer-support/help-and-faqs/pre-cruise/before-you-board

(scroll down to bottom)

Though we don't often agree on many things, we're both spot on about this one. Why can't pax just read what they need to do? Also T/A's are supposed to help here as well. They are your connect to the cruiseline. If you don't use one, then obviously it's up to the individual to do their due diligence!

Edited by keithm
grammar

I carry on my machine. I do take an extension cord in the little black bag/case that hold the machine/mask etc.

Plug it in on my side of the bed and have never had to use the extension cord. (though I take it with machine just in case)

Though we don't often agree on many things, we're both spot on about this one. Why can't pax just read what they need to do? Also T/A's are supposed to help here as well. They are your connect to the cruiseline. If you don't use one, then obviously it's up to the individual to do their due diligence!

I have had a situation once where I needed it in a hotel so it can happen. With that said I don’t take it on cruises even with a hotel before or after. Have better things to do then going to the naughty room at the end of the cruise.

Also if someone wishes to research it, there are plenty of posts where people stated they had them confiscated.

Why are there always people who believe that the established rules do not apply to them?

And once people understand why that rule has been put in place, they might be more apt to follow that rule. It is because of the risk of fire onboard. People may want to bring their own cord for their convenience but not everyone realizes this risk if it is at all frayed. I, as a fellow passenger, feel safer knowing these rules are strictly followed. If you still feel you are the exception to those that don't have to follow the rules, please contact guest services in order to have an engineer come up and check the cord you bring onboard.

I read some say the same thing about irons and clothing steamers and their own tea kettles ... the rules are for the safety of all passengers and it just takes one person to break the rules and make a huge mistake ... and the entire cruise could be ruined for all. I don't think anybody purposely brings on a defective product, but it could happen.

I have had a situation once where I needed it in a hotel so it can happen. With that said I don’t take it on cruises even with a hotel before or after. Have better things to do then going to the naughty room at the end of the cruise.

Also if someone wishes to research it, there are plenty of posts where people stated they had them confiscated.

I would let them keep it and buy one at home. Not worth going down to the naughty room to get it back. Then will have to supply an extension cord for my CPAP.

I took understand what you are trying to avoid; naughty room, or just having your luggage delayed somewhere in the bowels of the ship. First, I let Celebrity (or other lines) provide the CPAP cords and water, so what I am about to write has nothing to due with using my extension cord on the ship, only for the possibility of a need for a cord at a pre-cruise hotel. My last Silhouette cruise I took a cord for the hotel (not needed as it turned out), and then to make sure that my checked luggage did not get stopped downstairs, I just packed it in one of our carry on bags. Easily seen on the x-ray I am sure (made no effort to hide it) and if they did see it I was just going to tell them to keep it since it was not worth the small costs to replace it to chase it down later. Anyway, security did not say a word, so I just carried it on board and left it in the empty luggage under the bed (and forgot about it actually until time to repack). Long story short, I carried it from Houston to FLL, to the ship, and back home and never touched it.