Caribbean vs west coast

jmcancruise

For those who have sailed in both the Caribbean and along the west coast. How are they different? Which do you prefer? I see the new ship is going there. We are looking to mix things up some for our 2020 cruise as we will be celebrating our 40th anniversary. Thought this might be an option.

There are some big differences. The west coast has cooler water, which can be a plus in the summer. You may see lots of whales along the way. It is rare to see them in the Caribbean.

I think you get a different culture in the ports as well. It is hard to describe, so try both!

We have done both and hope to do the west coast again. Cabo and Puerto Vallerta were both very fun and beautiful. The Sea of Cortez has an emerald green color. The Pacific is darker water so the brilliant blues of the Caribbean are missed. The trip back north was rocky due to winds. We don't mind that though. I definitely recommend trying it if interested.

Edited by bjd2
typo

We are Florida residents so the vast majority of our cruises have been to the Caribbean. However we did sail to Alaska from Seattle and we did sail to the Pacific Mexican Rivera from Long Beach. Enjoyed them all. The Carnival part was always the same. Alaska was the most different because of wardrobe, having an onboard naturalist on the bridge describing the wildlife as we sailed by, the scenery in Alaska is just unbelievable and the husky puppies in the Yukon are so darn cute. Every Carnival cruiser should try to do the Alaska run. Go to Seattle a couple days early. Go see a Mariners game, go to the Space Needle and go to Pike Place Market where you can get fresh fish packed in ice for the flight home.

Yes...the "feel" is different. Same with an Alaskan cruise or a Med. or European cruise. I think the Caribbean are more laid-back and

"vacation-y"...if you get what I'm saying.

Unless you live in Alaska or Europe, etc....you will be all about the PORTS...not so much about the ship. In the Caribbean, it's really more about the ship, rather than ports.

For those who have sailed in both the Caribbean and along the west coast. How are they different? Which do you prefer? I see the new ship is going there. We are looking to mix things up some for our 2020 cruise as we will be celebrating our 40th anniversary. Thought this might be an option.

March/April is when we do our Caribbean cruises. September is when we do our Canada/U.S. Pacific Coastal cruises. Two different type of cruises so no favorite for us. We enjoy all the ports we visit no matter the destination. For us it's more about the ports and not the ship. Going to book an Eastern Coastal cruise for September 2019 next month while aboard the Equinox. What new ship are you referring to?

Unless it's a yacht charter or on the way to something more exotic (e.g., The Amazon), we no longer cruise in the Caribbean. Just too much of the thundering herds plaguing generally uninteresting locations. On the other hand, we seek out new Pacific itineraries as often as possible (e.g., will do a Sydney to L.A. Transpacific this May).

For your 40th, why not take it a step further and see what the Pacific really has to offer: Kauai, Bora Bora, Fiji, Easter Island.......

Just so much more natural beauty, culture, adventure than could ever be had in the Caribbean.

And, even if you limit yourself to the west coast of North America, you will find an overall better variety and quality of truly diverse experiences: Alaska, BC, Seattle, SF, San Diego, Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, Zihuatanejo......

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The ship we are thinking about is the new Carnival Horizon. We have only sailed the Caribbean, but to be honest we really like the warm water,(we are from Canada), so I am not so sure that would be for us. Any other ideas for a special cruise for our 40th that wouldn't break the bank. We have considered a river cruise in Europe...

The ship we are thinking about is the new Carnival Horizon. We have only sailed the Caribbean, but to be honest we really like the warm water,(we are from Canada), so I am not so sure that would be for us. Any other ideas for a special cruise for our 40th that wouldn't break the bank. We have considered a river cruise in Europe...

I think you mean the Panorama. It is the one coming to Long Beach.

I understand those in the East or closer always going to the Caribbean, but for us over here, it’s always a long flight, which can be costly. I have been to most places in the Caribbean and don’t really care to do more, but I may do multiple Mexico cruises since it’s close, probably more for the ship.

Early summer in Hawaii will find perfect water temps for swim and snorkel (actually, the water is fine year 'round). Maybe a land trip to Kauai???

And, BTW, though there is some humidity on the US west coast in summer it will never be the stifling environment found on the east coast.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you like sea days and peace and quiet, along with a absence of kids look into a transatlantic. A few days in Rome, London, Barcelona, Copenhagen, and a leisurely 10 - 15 sea days is our way of celebrating. TA'S are very cheap and cruise line air fare too and from Europe is well under $400 per person. happy cruising

We've done the Caribbean a lot and the West coast Mexican run several times. We like both, but do find the Caribbean has a lot more options-Eastern route, Western route, Southern route(our favorite), etc. We've enjoyed the Mexican Riviera ports, but there are really only 3 or 4 ports that ships usually go to.

Another great option from the West is a Panama Canal cruise; you get more ports in Mexico and Central America and usually a couple in the Caribbean, plus the canal, of course.

Of course some of the exotic cruises from the West Coast would be great if time and money is less of a concern.

This expresses it well: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

I've done cruises all over...New England, Caribbean, Alaska, Mexico, and Europe. We just got off of the Splendor out of Long Beach going to Cabo, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallarta. While some cruises are different (Alaska, New England, and Europe are all much different from the Caribbean), a Mexican cruise isn't too much different from a Caribbean one. It can get cold at night...down into the upper 50s or lower 60s, especially in the Long Beach/Cabo area. Once you get to Mazatlan and more south, it was warm. We even had a beach day in Mazatlan, and all three ports had the same sort of scuba, snorkeling, beach, catamaran type of excursions that you'll find in the Caribbean as well.

One of probably the biggest differences between the Caribbean and Mexican Riveria, is you won't walk off the ship and find a beach near by. Cabo has one fairly close--but we've never been to it. And I'm not sure how you get to Lover's Beach, but not sure if I'd do that for a full excursion anyway. Mazatlan is a shipping port.

One thing I will say about the Splendor out of LB...at least on our particular cruise, it's a much younger crowd than we're used to (we usually sail in January or February). Not a rowdy and partying crowd, just younger. A lot of young families. Some people in their 20s. I don't know if it was the itinerary or the home port in general that caused this.