Another faulty survey

uktog

Indeed a different survey, but questions based on the same topic.

Thanks for that confirmation!

I wish Azamara would leave well alone and not try to fix something that isn't broken.

Their prices for a Verandah stateroom have reached our limit and more enhancements, which we do not care for apart from included internet, would surely be an added cost.

I thought the Club Continent Suite filled this role of a Veranda room with frills!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just filled in the new survey... all about the "Veranda Plus" experience yet again and what extra perks would convince me to book this grade over a Veranda cabin. As others have commented, these perks included aromatherapy scents in your cabin, special juices, yoga under the stars etc.

I said No Thanks to all of them and told Azamara to leave the grades at Veranda and Club Continent Suite. I think the new marketing company must be desperate to come up with ideas for increasing revenue, but IMHO this is not the way to do it.

This is probably done by freshly-minted marketing grad millenials trying to figure out what people a generation or so older might want. They're clueless, so will keep taking a shotgun approach until they hit something. Since they're targeting people already committed to the brand as it is, we can expect to see more before they believe we like things as they are. Sigh......

This is probably done by freshly-minted marketing grad millenials trying to figure out what people a generation or so older might want. They're clueless, so will keep taking a shotgun approach until they hit something. Since they're targeting people already committed to the brand as it is, we can expect to see more before they believe we like things as they are. Sigh......

Perfectly summed up. If Azamara had some new ships coming online with larger cabins and more venues it might make sense, but as it is it seems a bit pointless and Azamara marketing will keep scoring a miss.

Phil

I received the new survey today and had to stop myself from laughing out loud. Motivational quotes every day???? And for that would I be willing to pay extra (and you know that the per diem will probably increase considerably)???? Oh, and juicing classes???? Who thinks this stuff up?

As I succinctly responded....I would be very unlikely to book "enhanced" veranda for any of these "benefits."

I love Azamara. It's our go-to cruise line. But this nonsense, if implemented, will be a quick turn off.

mare

Haven’t Azamara recently appointed a new marketing company? This is probably them trying to make their mark. They seem to have a very funny idea about Azamara and their typical customers.

You are right HGC. The new marketing people are obviously trying to impress their new client. However having worked in this sector for a while I find it concerning that someone in Miami has signed off this claptrap. Beginning to wonder if they understand their guests at all

You are right HGC. The new marketing people are obviously trying to impress their new client. However having worked in this sector for a while I find it concerning that someone in Miami has signed off this claptrap. Beginning to wonder if they understand their guests at all

My thoughts exactly

And even if they do how much are big brothers hands up their jacket

The RC whale has swallowed the Azamara tadpole. It ain't ever going to be the same folks. Too many changes too quickly - reduction in Azamara costs; increase to client costs - for less. Bye, bye Azamara - it was great while it lasted - very happy to start in 2012 and have many great cruises up to and including 2017. I won't miss the constant on land stuff ups though - happened nearly every cruise we booked. So, Azamara, you're dropped!

The bottom line is that this is another way to get more revenue for the company. I am sure that the new category will be implemented and that there will be people who will pay the enhanced price. Though it will not be for me.

I’m very happy to cruise with Azamara as long as I can get a price I’m happy with, as I have on my 2018 & 2019 booked cruises. Also aiming to book a 2019 TA during my July cruise this year. The experience onboard more than makes up for the shoreside mistakes.

I’m very happy to cruise with Azamara as long as I can get a price I’m happy with, as I have on my 2018 & 2019 booked cruises. Also aiming to book a 2019 TA during my July cruise this year. The experience onboard more than makes up for the shoreside mistakes.

This is our position as well, at the moment! Our worry is that Azamara are searching for a new niche that will affect the onboard experience.

We didn’t get this survey although we did get the original and replied that we have no interest in any veranda plus grade, which is possibly why we didn’t get the new one.

We came to Azamara in 2010 when Club Cruises concept was new and enjoyed the offering that provided luxury lite at affordable prices. However we did realise that the prices we were enjoying were not sustainable if Azamara was to become profitable and grow. Now the fleet is growing and prices rising there is a need to attract a new breed of passengers and this will undoubtedly change what we perceive as Azamara’s usp.

Unfortunately change is inevitable, we have seen it before with other cruise lines when the corporate suits have ideas which differ from ours. When it happens we will no doubt move on as we have done before.

I had read some of the comments prior to filling out the survey and was rather surprised at its nature once I had opened it.

Although I loathe and mock the term "wellness" and its corollaries, I have to admit that some, at least in North America, are very much interested in that concept. A glance at the programme offerings during pledge weeks at PBS might confirm that, and those offerings are certainly not directed at "millenials" :) Indeed, perhaps it's a sign of my unfortunate social networks that I have met people who claim to be inspired by certain sayings, mottos, aromas etc., or who sadly think it a good idea to share them with me.

And if you look at the marketing of the present Club Spa Suites, I'm not certain these ideas are such a reach. Does anyone know how popular those staterooms have been?

I'd also note that once you get past the "wellness" stuff, you can also opt for more traditional upgrades.

I will concede that I am generalizing about a possible difference between North American and European markets.

For many of these ideas, including the presence of a "wellness" training, the only personal impact upon us would be the creation of a new class of staterooms somewhere on the ship. THAT is a concern. The Club Spa notion created a minimal impact.

I had read some of the comments prior to filling out the survey and was rather surprised at its nature once I had opened it.

Although I loathe and mock the term "wellness" and its corollaries, I have to admit that some, at least in North America, are very much interested in that concept. A glance at the programme offerings during pledge weeks at PBS might confirm that, and those offerings are certainly not directed at "millenials" :) Indeed, perhaps it's a sign of my unfortunate social networks that I have met people who claim to be inspired by certain sayings, mottos, aromas etc., or who sadly think it a good idea to share them with me.

And if you look at the marketing of the present Club Spa Suites, I'm not certain these ideas are such a reach. Does anyone know how popular those staterooms have been?

I'd also note that once you get past the "wellness" stuff, you can also opt for more traditional upgrades.

I will concede that I am generalizing about a possible difference between North American and European markets.

For many of these ideas, including the presence of a "wellness" training, the only personal impact upon us would be the creation of a new class of staterooms somewhere on the ship. THAT is a concern. The Club Spa notion created a minimal impact.

I hope if they think this is a market they start first by bundling up an add on package and test the water selling it across the ship before going for the creation of a new class. Safer than blocking out cabins then finding after a few sailings no one wants them so they go to the consolidators. My guess still is the markets not really there.

Spa suites are often offered on the late upgrade, some guests rave about them, most we’ve spoken to say they’re ok but they wouldn’t rush back to them or pay a huge premium for them. I know from one guest they rock a bit in rougher seas.

I hope if they think this is a market they start first by bundling up an add on package and test the water selling it across the ship before going for the creation of a new class. Safer than blocking out cabins then finding after a few sailings no one wants them so they go to the consolidators. My guess still is the markets not really there.

Spa suites are often offered on the late upgrade, some guests rave about them, most we’ve spoken to say they’re ok but they wouldn’t rush back to them or pay a huge premium for them. I know from one guest they rock a bit in rougher seas.

On your first point absolutely agree, although if there are scents involved that could create a problem for my wife.

Thanks for your information re: spa suites.

Have to admit we have never been in the spa itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have a tendency to agree with this comment. Most huge companies do hire marketing/advertising from people who just got out of college. They work for less money and are just happy to have a job. This is from my being in the business. A lot of my national accounts have them and they are clueless.

I will say one other thing. If this marketing company is Miami based here could be another reason for that survey. Remember Miami South Beach ( very very close to RCCL Headquarters) in particular is very body beautiful and health conscious oriented. This could be their thinking when clearly on this topic they are wrong.

Kathy

MSC cruises ( an European cruise line) has introduced the wellness experience on some of its ships. Who knows how they came to the idea. Apparently, the concept has not had huge fans and the company seems to be on the way of eliminating that category of experience.

Concerning Azamara, we have started sailing with the company in 2009. It was a fantastic cruise on the Black Sea. It was not an all included concept and we were happy with the onboard experience and the prices. Then somebody decided to make it all included. We have looked somewhere else and found Celebrity which offered a better price value relationship.

However, we came back to Azamara because of the small ship experience. On the mean time, we have made our experiences with other cruiselines, who offer also a small ship experience. We are very satisfied with Windstar, Oceania and Crystal. As much as we like Azamara, we are price sensible. Otherwise we could not cruise as much as we like. For this reason, and having enjoyed a very good onboard experience in almost all the cruises we have taken, with several cruiselines, the onboard experience alone from Azamara will not motivate us to pay the higher prices.

And it will be very nice if no new "categories" are being invented to justify further price increases.

Ivi

MSC cruises ( an European cruise line) has introduced the wellness experience on some of its ships. Who knows how they came to the idea. Apparently, the concept has not had huge fans and the company seems to be on the way of eliminating that category of experience.

Concerning Azamara, we have started sailing with the company in 2009. It was a fantastic cruise on the Black Sea. It was not an all included concept and we were happy with the onboard experience and the prices. Then somebody decided to make it all included. We have looked somewhere else and found Celebrity which offered a better price value relationship.

However, we came back to Azamara because of the small ship experience. On the mean time, we have made our experiences with other cruiselines, who offer also a small ship experience. We are very satisfied with Windstar, Oceania and Crystal. As much as we like Azamara, we are price sensible. Otherwise we could not cruise as much as we like. For this reason, and having enjoyed a very good onboard experience in almost all the cruises we have taken, with several cruiselines, the onboard experience alone from Azamara will not motivate us to pay the higher prices.

And it will be very nice if no new "categories" are being invented to justify further price increases.

Ivi

Interesting about MSC, and that counters my idea that the “wellness” idea was driven by the North American market. Thanks for pointing it out.

We have remained with Azamara even though, at this point, the all-inclusive aspect isn’t really to our advantage.

So far we have been able to find prices that are acceptable, and we like the itineraries. When those two aspects change, it’s probable we will look for other vacation experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There's nothing wrong with the wellness concept, per se. It's just that the offerings mentioned don't add up to enough in the way of enticing amenities to constitute an upgrade. I stay at a couple of land-based resorts that offer most of those things, plus a couple of others, and I enjoy choosing a scent that gets sprayed when the room's cleaned, a choice of tea bags, a pillow menu, beach yoga and an occasional cooking class, but it's part of the regular room rate, not an upgrade . From the responses here, I imagine that this will die a natural death and some creative marketers will be on to something else before long. Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to all that I love about Azamara staying as it is.

I received and filled out the survey letting Azamara know that we would not pay extra for the new Veranda Plus category, and would actually be less inclined to sail Azamara if the idea goes into effect.

My worry is that the idea will go through before our July 2019 cruise. If Azamara blocks off certain areas for the Veranda Plus passengers as they implied in the first survey, then we will likely cancel the cruise.

Our cruise is one of the ones associated with Perry Golf, so there will already be functions for them during the cruise that temporarily block off certain venues from being used by the rest of us.

Excellent analysis from everyone.

One of the things that currently separate the premium from the mass lines is the principle that each guest has access to the entire ship (yes less the lounges for suites). This is a main reason we have moved from Celebrity to premium lines.

Comments on the Virgin board also reflect the posters desire to avoid the overt class segmentation on Celebrity, NCL and MSC.

The principle that the premium lines are like a country club meaning all guests are more or less equal and have access to the common areas and services of the vessel. It is the long time prevailing acceptance of this principle that allows many followers of the premium lines to be so dedicated to their cruise line. Then there is Azamara - and no cruise line has such dedicated fans as Azamara.

The RCL corporation is destroying all the best attributes of cruise vacations in their relentless desire to extract $. RCL is focused on sewing envy and division and moving guests away from the ocean. Azamara is likely the next casualty.

Excellent analysis from everyone.

The principle that the premium lines are like a country club meaning all guests are more or less equal and have access to the common areas and services of the vessel. It is the long time prevailing acceptance of this principle that allows many followers of the premium lines to be so dedicated to their cruise line. Then there is Azamara - and no cruise line has such dedicated fans as Azamara.

We happen to cruise with several cruise lines. We have realized that all of them seem to have as many, if no more, dedicated followers as Azamara.

Even at Cruise Critic, comparing the amount of fans on the Azamara forum with other cruiselines, one gets the feeling that there are not that many. Not many cheerleaders posting. Some followers yes, but many of them are quite critical.

Ivi