Us west coast to hawaii & back. Do we need to go through customs and immigration?

Gnoelj

We are thinking of cruising from the US West Coast to Hawaii, and back. Does anyone know, when we return back to a U.S. port on the West Coast, from Hawaii, do we have to go through customs and immigration as if we are coming from abroad. The reason we ask is, we know that Hawaii is part of the United States, but is a Holland America ship considered to be an American vessel or a foreign vessel.

If there are no restrictions, we might like to buy some Hawaiian fruits/foodstuff/delicacies to take home.

Even if you weren't going to a foreign port, or even flying from Hawaii, there are limitations on bringing fresh fruit to the mainland. You need to check with customs, who have their own agriculture agents to see what is allowed. I know that when flying, if you want to bring back pineapples, you buy them at a shop that provides the service of boxing them, and getting them through the agriculture inspection, and you pick them up at the airport.

If there are no restrictions, we might like to buy some Hawaiian fruits/foodstuff/delicacies to take home.

You may not be able to bring fruit and plants to California. Cooked/baked/packaged food should be fine. We bought rum cakes in Jamaica, no problem taking it back into the USA.

Your itinerary should include a stop at Ensenada, Mexico which fills the requirement of stopping at a foreign port.

Yes you will go through immigration and customs at the end of the cruise. Now in Florida US is no longer requiring you to fill a customs form. I don't know about CA.

Last fall I was on a California Coastal Cruise that stopped in Ensenada as the required distant foreign port, and a customs form was not required upon return to LA, but of course immigration was required which meant showing your passport.

Likely your ship is registered in Rotterdam. Definitely foreign.

Correct, in order to sail only between US Ports, without a required distant foreign stop, a passenge ships has to meet the following requirements.

1) US Registration

2) Majority or all US Crew. I don't remember which it really is, it might be all US Crew.

I'm sure there are other requirements, but these are the ones that I know of.

I thought it was odd last cruise to Hawaii over Thanksgiving. It was the first time we didn't have to fill out a customs form. We did go through a check after picking up luggage but they just wanted to see the passport.

We also had one stop in Ensenada, Mexico so it surprised me.

Correct, in order to sail only between US Ports, without a required distant foreign stop, a passenge ships has to meet the following requirements.

1) US Registration

2) Majority or all US Crew. I don't remember which it really is, it might be all US Crew.

I'm sure there are other requirements, but these are the ones that I know of.

A foreign flag ship must visit a foreign port if it disembarks at the same port it embarks at. The distant foreign port is required only if the embarkation and debarkation ports are two different US ports.

In order to cruise to only US ports (no foreign port) the ship must be: US built, US owned, US flagged, and US crew (all licensed officers are US citizens, other crew must be US citizens or 25% may be Green Card holders.

I thought it was odd last cruise to Hawaii over Thanksgiving. It was the first time we didn't have to fill out a customs form. We did go through a check after picking up luggage but they just wanted to see the passport.

We also had one stop in Ensenada, Mexico so it surprised me.

Customs no longer requires the declaration form to be filled in at some ports. However, the CBP agents still have the authority to take anyone aside and ask questions and search luggage if they so desire. So, you are still clearing Customs, but you don't need to fill in the form.

Do you have any idea how much produce comes from Mexico and Central America???

Me thinks the answer would be a big No on that one

While this is true, that stuff has been inspected and inerted if necessary. Stuff an individual brings across the borders of California are not, so they are not allowed. I believe they still have agriculture inspection stations on the highways.

While this is true, that stuff has been inspected and inerted if necessary. Stuff an individual brings across the borders of California are not, so they are not allowed. I believe they still have agriculture inspection stations on the highways.

They do. But the inspections there are VERY casual. Both Copper and I live in California.

The even odder situation is that if you fly from Hawaii to SFO, for example, you go through an Ag inspection in Hawaii. But if you fly from any other place in the US to California, no Ag inspection. You answer a questionnaire flying into Hawaii, nothing flying into California.