Crown Princess Formal Nights

The Wood Duck

Could anyone be so kind as to the expected/actual dress code on formal night. Our cruise is out of Rome for 21 days. We are traveling from Toronto nada and want to limit any unnecessary baggage if possible. Do not want to be the only business casual guy on formal nights either.

Leave some of the candy for the crew at home and you should have plenty of room to pack 1 sport coat & tie. ;)

111571184_candysuitcase.jpg.a1755852e52cfc9a3e6503a65a2c2e2b.jpg

We were on the Crown Princess during spring break and we actually saw a number of people wearing flip flops and shorts into the Dining Room on the formal evening. The Maitre D did not stop them. They even lined up to wait their turn for entry. The buffet is always open and I think that for that one formal night, they could have perhaps skipped the dining room and ate upstairs at the buffet. So if Princess allows it, there will always be people who do it.

I keep reading here that it's up to the Maitre D to determine whether or not you are dressed appropriately on a formal night. I'm just curious as we are booked on a July 2019 cruise on the Crown, when is the last time anyone can remember going to dinner in the MDR on any Princess ship and only see women in nice outfits and men in coats, no exceptions?

I personally wish they would change their policy, but if they aren't going to enforce it, why should I follow it, especially if I can get out of packing one.

I keep reading here that it's up to the Maitre D to determine whether or not you are dressed appropriately on a formal night. I'm just curious as we are booked on a July 2019 cruise on the Crown, when is the last time anyone can remember going to dinner in the MDR on any Princess ship and only see women in nice outfits and men in coats, no exceptions?

I personally wish they would change their policy, but if they aren't going to enforce it, why should I follow it, especially if I can get out of packing one.

Appears you can. ;). Formal Night in MDR.

Enjoy your cruise and dining experience. :)

024619C0-F866-4678-83CE-A50C49970916_zpswt5grogl.jpeg

The Crown Princess is noted for having one of the least dressy crowds, especially during the summer months. :)

We were on a Baltic Heritage cruise on the Crown Princess in July 2017 and had Traditional Dining, late seating at a table for 10. One couple had chosen not to bring formal wear and did not join us on the formal nights. My husband wore a dark suit but the other men wore full formal dress with either a black or white tuxedo jacket. My impression is that passengers on European itineraries, particularly those originating in Southampton, do dress up more for formal nights than on other itineraries.

We were on a Baltic Heritage cruise on the Crown Princess in July 2017 and had Traditional Dining, late seating at a table for 10. One couple had chosen not to bring formal wear and did not join us on the formal nights. My husband wore a dark suit but the other men wore full formal dress with either a black or white tuxedo jacket. My impression is that passengers on European itineraries, particularly those originating in Southampton, do dress up more for formal nights than on other itineraries.

Good to hear, we are doing Baltics from Southampton on Sapphire in June. Probably quite a few Brits on board, who do dress up. Way to go.:halo:

We did the cruise around the British Isles and then a TA to NYC from Southampton. While there were many who did dress up there may have been as many that did not - I really did not stand at the three MDR doors to survey it. For my observation from the early TD in our MDR it was some with tux, some with suits/sportcoats and some in shirt and trousers. Compliance with the so-called dress code did not seem to be any better or worse than in the US ports. Like anything your experience may be different. Personally I have never worn a nose around my neck and now wear my guayabera and dockers on formal night.

Good to hear, we are doing Baltics from Southampton on Sapphire in June. Probably quite a few Brits on board, who do dress up. Way to go.:halo:

My favourite Brit ;p Appropriately dressed for Formal Night dining. :)

72F6C7A5-D6E3-4FBD-AF04-5A67FCC5CCE3_zpsw9gecqzo.jpeg;p

Enjoy your cruise. ;)

Could anyone be so kind as to the expected/actual dress code on formal night. Our cruise is out of Rome for 21 days. We are traveling from Toronto nada and want to limit any unnecessary baggage if possible. Do not want to be the only business casual guy on formal nights either.

Rather than dressing down my wife and I prefer to dress up. Now this does not mean a tux for me. I take a cream dinner jacket, light brown slacks, dark blue slacks, and medium gray slacks. 4 dress shirts for each pair of slacks. and three bow ties. So we could dress up dapper for as many nights as we like. I prefer the word dapper (hence my user name) to the word formal. And, of course, as others have noted, you do not have to go formally at all. My wife and are from a small community and do not get the chance to dress up many times. So our preference is to treat ourselves and go "dapper". Ron L.

We were on the Crown last month for a Caribbean cruise and the dress code was lax in the MDR. I wonder how many people who are commenting are referring to a cruise other than the Mediterranean. In my experience people do follow the dress code on European cruises.

We were on the Crown last month for a Caribbean cruise and the dress code was lax in the MDR. I wonder how many people who are commenting are referring to a cruise other than the Mediterranean. In my experience people do follow the dress code on European cruises.

Would the pax on the Caribbean cruises, i.e. Crown Princess be mainly North Americans? Not being nasty here.:halo:

One may still encounter Maitre'd or Head Waiter who has the guts to enforce Princess dress code.:evilsmile:
Agreed.

About six months ago, we were on the Emerald, and the Maitre D' and Head Waiters did indeed enforce the dress code on formal nights. The great majority of pax who wish to have dinner in the MDR will make an attempt to get cleaned up and dress nicely.

For pax who do not wish to observe formal night, there are many alternatives:

1. Dine at Horizon Court, which is always come-as-you-are.

2. Dine at Trident Grill for burgers or Alfredos for pizza.

3. Attend specialty dining at Crown Grill, Sabatini's, Crab Shack, etc. etc.

4. Order free room service

5. Have wine and tapas at Vines, followed by dessert at International Cafe

6. Order an Ultimate Balcony Dinner

7. Book a different cruise line.

Always lots of options.......something for everyone. - EBC

Agreed.

About six months ago, we were on the Emerald, and the Maitre D' and Head Waiters did indeed enforce the dress code on formal nights. The great majority of pax who wish to have dinner in the MDR will make an attempt to get cleaned up and dress nicely.

Great post, plenty of options, thank you. Great to hear some MDR senior staff enforce the policies.:cool:

So on formal nights, men can go to the specialty restaurants dressed smart casual rather than in a coat and tie? Cool!

That’s exactly right!!

My husband wears a suit and tie every day for work and we have done enough black tie dinners that we choose not to participate. You can usually find us in Crown Grill on formal nights. Or that’s pizza night!

Agreed.

While all you post is very accurate there remains one important point that still attracts the people that don't wish to dress up.

The dining room always has the one of the better dishes on formal evenings - surf & turf one night & either lobster with shrimp on another or something just as good. This is the only reason we go there to have dinner.

We don't participate in the formal dress routine but just simple casual, which is still acceptable, and haven't had a problem being seated in the DR in over 20 years.

If Princess chose to serve those same meals elsewhere we wouldn't bother to go to the DR on formal nights either.

The dining room always has the one of the better dishes on formal evenings - surf & turf one night & either lobster with shrimp on another or something just as good. This is the only reason we go there to have dinner.

Personally, I don't think the lobster on ships is worth bothering with.

I can easily get live lobsters that were swimming in cold water 1500 miles away, a few days ago...

On formal night, I usually have Beef Wellington, as that is not something I might have at home.

Last few cruises, I have found that in the lido.

Regardless, princess is now dumb-casual, I can go to the dining room on formal night wearing

pretty much anything.

It's not really a hardship.

Personally, I don't think the lobster on ships is worth bothering with.

I can easily get live lobsters that were swimming in cold water 1500 miles away, a few days ago...

On formal night, I usually have Beef Wellington, as that is not something I might have at home.

Last few cruises, I have found that in the lido.

Regardless, princess is now dumb-casual, I can go to the dining room on formal night wearing

pretty much anything.

It's not really a hardship.

That's also another dish they sometimes offer on a formal night in the DR which attracts us to go. The lobster can be hit or miss.

Was on the royal last month and there were men in polo shirts on formal night. I had a long sleeve shirt and bow tie and almost felt overdressed compared to some people. From my experiences also, even formal night isn’t so formal anymore.

Sent from my iPhone X using Forums

Why would you feel overdressed? You are not dressing for other people. Surely you are dressing up for your wife/partner/lover?

I get serious "brownie points" when I wear my tux' as she loves dressing up.