Edge Reveal Comments 2/28/18

Andy

Interesting menus and great to see some changes and not more of the same....

One thing I noted was Eden features a meat dish called "life after death" that's probably the worst name I've ever heard for a dish

Hi DYKWIA,

The more I read about Eden, the more I believe that Guests may either love it or hate it. I'm wondering if there will be any middle ground :). I'm currently booked on the maiden voyage, and I'm looking forward to seeing Eden in person, and discover what it offers for Celebrity Guests.

Hi DYKWIA,

The more I read about Eden, the more I believe that Guests may either love it or hate it. I'm wondering if there will be any middle ground :). I'm currently booked on the maiden voyage, and I'm looking forward to seeing Eden in person, and discover what it offers for Celebrity Guests.

I do realise that I'm particularly sensitive to these things , I would love to be a vegetarian, I just love meat too much. I can't eat in a restaurant where you pick the live fish you want to eat. I can't pick and i would feel uncomfortable watching others doing so.

I'm probably in the minority ,but given my food preferences there is really nothing that grabs my attention. Some of the dishes, like Mac and Cheese and Onion Soup are simply revivals of the old Tuscan Grille menu. The menus are very heavy with pork, cheese and fish. Don't do pork and have problems with fish and cheese. Now I know many love those dishes and will have great appeal, but not to me. I was told about the elimination of the main dining room more than a year ago and shared that information on these boards. I wonder how that will affect the flow of crowds as it has on other lines. Wonder if there will be more Restaurant Operations Managers. Also seems like a lot to cover for one F&B Manager. I'm certain that Celebrity has considered this and more and that everything will be fine. Haven't booked yet as I'm waiting for reviews. I'm most happy that expansion of the fleet will give more great crew the opportunity for promotion and that's a plus.

I personally love the fact to dine in 4 different restaurants as it will be a new atmosphere every night. I also like the fact that each will have a 25% different menu making it even more enjoyable. As for the traffic flow as experienced the Sapphire and Diamond Princess have 4 different restaurant and these two ship are my favorites. They also use to have a different dish in each of these Princess ship but then that got cancel unfortunately:-(

Hoping all will work out for the Edge.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Forums

One thing I noted was Eden features a meat dish called "life after death" that's probably the worst name I've ever heard for a dish

The menu at the Steakhouse looks nice, maybe on special occasions they'll add a real nice prime rib but we could enjoy ourselves either way once both of us get our teeth fixed.

Hi DYKWIA,

I agree, and unfortunately I think more will hate it (much like Wonderland on Anthem). I'm certainly interested in trying it, but there are one or two courses where I won't eat either of the choices due to dietary issues, so hopefully there are other options.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Is it much worse than Death by Chocolate? I've seen it on several menus over the years.

Hi Don,

Good News ! According to an article just posted at Seatrade Cruise news, guests will have several options, including Early & Late seating, with the same table and waiter. While this brings a host of additional questions to mind, I'm pleased that Early & Late seating remains an option.

Here's a link to the article : http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/just-revealed-how-celebrity-s-dining-will-be-on-the-edge.html

Hope this helps !

I’m not. Fixed dining where 20% of the chairs are empty as they are eating elsewhere just limits space for those on Select Dining. They should have bitten the bullet and eliminated traditional dining completely and go fully select. They have taken the Anthem route where they introduced traditional dining into their dynamic dining idea retrospectively to please a few but it impacted on select/mytime diners by reducing flexibility. An empty chair in traditional early/late dining remains empty for that sitting. An empty chair in Select gets filled.

I can’t imagine calling my favourite restaurant to be told I have to eat at 6.15 or 8.30 only yet some cruisers hang on to it. I know many like dining with the same mixed table and making new friends but we make friends elsewhere onboard, not over dinner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m not. Fixed dining where 20% of the chairs are empty as they are eating elsewhere just limits space for those on Select Dining. They should have bitten the bullet and eliminated traditional dining completely and go fully select. They have taken the Anthem route where they introduced traditional dining into their dynamic dining idea retrospectively to please a few but it impacted on select/mytime diners by reducing flexibility. An empty chair in traditional early/late dining remains empty for that sitting. An empty chair in Select gets filled.

I can’t imagine calling my favourite restaurant to be told I have to eat at 6.15 or 8.30 only yet some cruisers hang on to it. I know many like dining with the same mixed table and making new friends but we make friends elsewhere onboard, not over dinner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I also think they should eliminate fix dining or make one room fix with 2 seatings.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I also think they should eliminate fix dining or make one room fix with 2 seatings.

Can't do that since each of the free dining rooms has a different menu (or at least a few different items). And some people do like the traditional MDR experience. I read a post here recently where someone said that having the same server each night was important to them because they had dietary issues that the server was able to help them with during their cruise. Granted not everyone needs that but I will admit that I like it when the assistant waiter has iced tea ready for us as soon as we sit down.

We've done Select dining of late but ended up with traditional on our recent MSC cruise because our "experience" level did not offer it. We ended up sitting next to a very nice couple who we spent a bunch of time with during the cruise. Amusingly, we probably should not have been next to them, but someone put the wrong table number on our table the first night (and most nights after that).

Moderators, could you please move this thread, and a similar one, to the Edge section? There’s a lot of confusion and repetition on various Edge topics. Also, if there’s a more appropriate way for me to make such a request, please let me know. Thanks:)

Celebrity tries their version of Dynamic dining on the Edge. It didn't work on Royal. They have 4 dining room and if you want early or late you are assigned one. You will miss out on some of the dishes that are in the other three.

Celebrity tries their version of Dynamic dining on the Edge. It didn't work on Royal. They have 4 dining room and if you want early or late you are assigned one. You will miss out on some of the dishes that are in the other three.

Not according to the Cruise Critic article on the dining reveal:

Cruisers on Celebrity Edge will be able to choose between set dining and the flexible Celebrity Select program. The big difference on Edge, however, will be that cruisers who select set dining do not have to stick to just one of the four main restaurants. Instead, they will be able to change their restaurant nightly if they'd like.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=8438

Disappointed to see that the Luminae menu appears to be set up the same as it currently is. Was hoping for more choices. Hopefully they at least refresh the list of entrees and appetizers they serve. They food has been great but getting tired of the same menus for 2 years now.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/edge/content/uploads/2018/02/Luminae.pdf

And it will be quite an experience when you get the bill at the end of the cruise:o

It seams lit they want to make more money on meals you paid for in the cruise fare. What happened to the Cruise over the years. Just raise the price and include all the different Restaurants.

Disappointed to see that the Luminae menu appears to be set up the same as it currently is. Was hoping for more choices. Hopefully they at least refresh the list of entrees and appetizers they serve. They food has been great but getting tired of the same menus for 2 years now.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/edge/content/uploads/2018/02/Luminae.pdf

Good point, but I would assume that Luminae guests will be able to order from any of the other MDR menus. This will make it even better.

Good point, but I would assume that Luminae guests will be able to order from any of the other MDR menus. This will make it even better.

I wonder if that will be the case on Edge though? I mean on the current ships Lumaine is right next to the MDR and they are sharing a kitchen. One Edge the MDR's are on 3 and 4 in the aft of the ship and Lumaine is up on 12 in the forward part of the ship. I would think that would complicate things greatly. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it does make you wonder what they will do.

Like others we were also hoping they would revamp the Lumaine menus for Edge.

The food in the MDR for the past 3 cruises for us has not been edible. Two cruises on the Infinity and the last one on Celeb this Feb. The buffet was wonderful, after three attempts in MDR we ate in buffet for the 11 remaining nights.

So if you are tired of Luminae, you will be really disappointed with MDR.

I wonder if that will be the case on Edge though? I mean on the current ships Lumaine is right next to the MDR and they are sharing a kitchen. One Edge the MDR's are on 3 and 4 in the aft of the ship and Lumaine is up on 12 in the forward part of the ship. I would think that would complicate things greatly. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it does make you wonder what they will do.

Like others we were also hoping they would revamp the Lumaine menus for Edge.

I did not realize that Luminae was to be located on Deck 12 forward as that seems like a very odd location for a restaurant IMO. It would certain make it very difficult to order something prepared by the MDR Chefs.

I did not realize that Luminae was to be located on Deck 12 forward as that seems like a very odd location for a restaurant IMO. It would certain make it very difficult to order something prepared by the MDR Chefs.

Yeah, likely not feasible to offer MDR cuisine at Luminae on E-Class; an expanded Luminae menu would be far more practical.

It seams lit they want to make more money on meals you paid for in the cruise fare.

By that “logic” what is the point of vacations? After all, you’ve already paid to sleep in your home, why pay more to sleep on a cruise ship?

I heard that the menu was changing in Luminae, but I still am concerned if one is unable to order from the MDR or at least some simple chicken, veggies and potatoes. Booking a suite would not be worth it to my DH in the future, not to mention on our 15 day TA. It would be wonderful to have some clarification on many things, but I won't hold my breath! However, I am sure that they could get him something, especially in Luminae. We book suites for the extra room, Michael's Club, tendering and many other things that are included, especially a variety of choices on food. To others this may sound strange, but when you have tummy issues, you do not want them on your vacation...

Edited by Lastdance