best spot to buy a ring?

my daughter wants to get a ring when we're on our cruise next week. I've seen a lot of places to avoid, but are there any you recommend? We'd like good quality at a fair price. We'll be in San Juan, St Thomas, St Kitts, St Lucia, Antigua and Barbados.

thanks!!

Internet from home :-) I think the days of getting a great deal when shopping an Island are gone.

Add in the complications of what if you have an issue when you get home, just doesn't seem worth the time/effort.

We just returned from an Oasis cruise. Bought a number of pieces of jewelry in St. Maarten & San Juan. Glad to do it to help the local economies. They still need a lot of rebuilding, especially St. Maarten. Stay away from the watch sales on the ship and spend some money in the ports.

Your best place and probably your safest place to make sure you get something authentic is St Thomas. Personally, I would refrain from purchasing any jewelry (gems/diamonds and gold) from any island, the only island I would purchase jewelry at is in Grand Cayman. You can always buy something on the ship, that would be authentic.

Internet from home :-) I think the days of getting a great deal when shopping an Island are gone.

Add in the complications of what if you have an issue when you get home, just doesn't seem worth the time/effort.

Add in "complications" from an internet seller, just not worth the time/effort....................:rolleyes::p

OP - St Thomas is your best bet. Grand Jewelers has been around a long time and worth a stop.

Not to hijack the thread, but what is everyone's favorite place for watches OFF of the ship? All ports considered.

I have bought two Romain Jerome watches at Diamonds International in downtown St Thomas. They had a great selection and I knew in advance the mainland price of them before I stepped foot in their store. They gave me a better price and threw in some spinning RJ Titanic Cufflinks to match the one watch.

Research prior to leaving home is key.

EDIT TO ADD: if you look at watch manufactures web-sites prior to departure you will also see who is authorized to sell their product in specific ports. For example there is one location in St Thomas that is an authorized Rolex retailer. Who knows what the other stores might have. ;)

Edited by A&L_Ont

Max at Caribbean Gems in St Maartin is who I used. He came HIGHLY recommended from friends of ours that own a time share there. They buy from him every time they visit and send all their friends there. They were right! Great prices and you know you're getting quality jewelry.

Not to hijack the thread, but what is everyone's favorite place for watches OFF of the ship? All ports considered.

Can't beat St Thomas and St Martin for selection on watches. As someone else noted, it's worth checking online in advance to verify authorized dealers for the brands you might be interested in.

While The price point is not much better than at home or online, the quality at the same price point is usually much better so while your not gonna get anything at bare bone pricing you will get more per penny spent as far as quality is concerned. Also, you will find a superior selection and unique pieces in one location that you would at 12 shops stateside. I would stick to St. Martin and St. Thomas, but sometimes you will find something unique in the smaller/slower ports. If you see it and like it I would buy it, just know how to tell apart fake from real or stay with the shops listed in the port guide.

Remember, if your buying for yourself and you truly love it, that is all that really matters. Have a blast on your cruise!

my daughter wants to get a ring when we're on our cruise next week. I've seen a lot of places to avoid, but are there any you recommend? We'd like good quality at a fair price. We'll be in San Juan, St Thomas, St Kitts, St Lucia, Antigua and Barbados.

thanks!!

I local family owned jewelry store. One that you can go back to if you have any issue and cares about there reputation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

thanks!!

Amazon.com before you leave.

Present it to her one night at dinner.

I bought an expensive ring on a cruise in Jamaica from one of the BIG stores, and feel I had been sold a diamond that did not live up to its supposed quality. Had to exchange it the next port and feel I did not get what I originally wanted, because when you upgrade you have to go bigger and better to use up what you had paid. While I feel you aren’t getting a “deal” you are exposed to many more options, which makes it nicer. My best advice: buy what you really love not what is the best price and make sure you check out the stones in NATURAL light, not in the bright lights of the store where everything looks great. Also, check it thru a loop to make sure all the prongs are nice and tight and even take a pin and make sure to wiggle the stones to make sure they aren’t loose. Good luck.

Cruisingforabruising- They are figuring out the cost, if its gold they take the cost of gold by ounce and figure out the cost of the weight of the piece of jewelry, then of course they add their commission lol. It happens at jewelry stores here in the USA, they all do it, unless the store already has the set price attached to the piece.

Cruisingforabruising- They are figuring out the cost, if its gold they take the cost of gold by ounce and figure out the cost of the weight of the piece of jewelry, then of course they add their commission lol. It happens at jewelry stores here in the USA, they all do it, unless the store already has the set price attached to the piece.

Never ever pay the set price.

Their margins are huge you must haggle.

I have used Ballerina jewelry before.

Me, too. I got my anniversary multi-stone band there, and a very nice pair of brown topaz stud earrings another time. Anniversary band is 19 years old, and it's in great shape.