Caribbean Passanger Age

sprint180

For those of you who have went to the

Caribbean on Princess I have a question....

We just got back from a Panama Canal cruise and have been on an Alaska cruise with Princess. Both had mostly older passengers as I expected. We are thinking of a Caribbean Cruise with Princess and I was wondering if there were younger passengers on those cruises. It is a 7 day in Febr. Not that I mind the older demographic it is just that my idea of throw back tunes isn't 50's, 60's, and 70's. It is more 70's and 80's. Just hoping for a younger crowd.

It depends on the time of year. Around the December holidays, spring break, and summer vacations, there will be more kids and families onboard. Our sailing on Regal this month will have about 200 kids onboard. Royal in November, week after Thanksgiving, had about 20 kids onboard in total. Also, 7 night and shorter cruises tend to attract more families and a younger demographic than longer cruises.

Last summer there were lots of kids on board.

When traditional schools are in session, the passengers on Princess tend to come from an age when they learned spelling and grammar in school and can write "You are" rather than UR.

I consistently read that Princess attracts an older crowd than Celebrity, but our experience has been just the opposite.

We just got back from a Panama Canal cruise and have been on an Alaska cruise with Princess. Both had mostly older passengers as I expected. We are thinking of a Caribbean Cruise with Princess and I was wondering if there were younger passengers on those cruises. It is a 7 day in Febr. Not that I mind the older demographic it is just that my idea of throw back tunes isn't 50's, 60's, and 70's. It is more 70's and 80's. Just hoping for a younger crowd.

I have not found an "older" crowd on Princess as often stated, but I mostly travel during holidays, spring break and the summer.

I am told there will be less kids on cruises longer than 7 days, but I have not found there to be an issue on any of our cruises.

The music is always the same, no matter what the crowd or time of year, or cruise we take 7, 10 or 15 day cruises. The only time we've seen the disco jumping is during holiday cruises when there are lots of multi-generational families on board. Plus, I've not found much 70s or 80s music playing in the disco either. It's usually more current "dance" music.

Our last cruise was 28 day in October/November of last year. On a cruise of that length I had a couple of people tell me I was young. I turned 65 today. The longer the cruise the older the passengers is kind of a general rule. I've always seen a number of folks younger than us on every Princess cruise but have only seen a few kids and a handful of "young" people. I would guess that cruises of 7 days or fewer would have more young people.

It really depends on what time of year it is and the duration . Longer cruises will tend to attract an older crowd. I take a day cruise around spring break every year and although the demographic maybe slightly older then Carnival for instance not overly so. However on a recent 10 day to the Panama Canal , there were less then 10 kids under 18 and the average age was significantly older then I am used to. Not to disparage , it I joked with my mom who herself is in her 70s that it looked like a sea of cotton balls in the theater and although I myself am in my early 50s I was on the younger end of the scale at the platinum / elite party .

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our last cruise was 28 day in October/November of last year. On a cruise of that length I had a couple of people tell me I was young. I turned 65 today. The longer the cruise the older the passengers is kind of a general rule. I've always seen a number of folks younger than us on every Princess cruise but have only seen a few kids and a handful of "young" people. I would guess that cruises of 7 days or fewer would have more young people.

Happy Birthday Thrak!

A 7 day cruise will attract a younger demographic, with the average age moving downward with quite a few passengers in their 40's and some younger.

We just got off the Royal Princess and the Caribbean Princess. Music was as it always has been, a mix of songs from the 50's to the 2000's. Songs most people like to hear and dance to. There will also be ballroom dance, Dixie, classical. C&W, disco, island, crooner. Late night the DJ plays lots of different sets, and probably requests.

Our cruise this month on the Regal had 189 children under 18. We were on the ship Feb. 18-25. Apparently some schools give kids a break the week of President's Day. We met one woman who was the principal of a school that had such a break.

I had to laugh a bit here. I totally understand where you are coming from but... I've often wondered who selects the music the DJ will play in the afternoon in Wheelhouse. I look around the venue and see mostly folks my age or older. Sometimes most of them are older. Then I see a young guy running the music and he's playing stuff from the 80's, 90's, and even more recent. I'm in my mid 60's so the folks in their mid 80's are going, "What the heck is this stuff?". I realize that, to the DJ, something from the 90's is the same as something from the 1700's as far as being "old" but the folks listening to the music would greatly prefer to hear something that they may actually have heard before and have an idea who and what it is that is being played.

Our oldest son sailed with us twice on Princess. Once on a 10 day and once on a 15 day. He was in his very late 30's at the time and only found a few people on each voyage to hang out with. I don't know if he will cruise again but, if he does, I don't know that he will sail with Princess. Younger people need to connect with a variety of ages - it's good for them. However, they need to spend the majority of their leisure time with those in the same age group or at least close to the same. If you found Princess a bit on the old or stodgy side there's nothing wrong with that. Simply try another line that caters to a younger crowd.

I know Carnival cruises tend to have a younger crowd but I also know they have a pretty "party hardy" reputation. I'm wondering about a line that tends toward a younger demographic than Princess but a somewhat less party demographic than Carnival. Can anybody point me (and possibly the *****) toward such a cruise line? I'd like to pass the info on to my son.

We totally understand what is being said about the age demographic of Princess. We are in our 40's and travel with family in mid 50's. We feel young on Princess. We do enjoy the experience of the older crowd though. A wealth of knowledge about cruising and what to do in ports. As for other cruise line demographics median age, MSC - 50's but more European (we love MSC), Carnival is younger but definitely more partying, Royal Caribbean is probably your best bet. Our opinion is RC is better than Carnival, better food, service, ship and we are not big partiers. You will pay more, but you get what you pay for. BTW we would NEVER recommend NCL for several reasons. February will not have many children or college age due to school is in at this time on any line with our experience.

I had to laugh a bit here. I totally understand where you are coming from but... I've often wondered who selects the music the DJ will play in the afternoon in Wheelhouse. I look around the venue and see mostly folks my age or older. Sometimes most of them are older. Then I see a young guy running the music and he's playing stuff from the 80's, 90's, and even more recent. I'm in my mid 60's so the folks in their mid 80's are going, "What the heck is this stuff?". I realize that, to the DJ, something from the 90's is the same as something from the 1700's as far as being "old" but the folks listening to the music would greatly prefer to hear something that they may actually have heard before and have an idea who and what it is that is being played.

Can anybody point me (and possibly the *****) toward such a cruise line? I'd like to pass the info on to my son.

LOL Glad someone understands. I am 48 my husband is 49.

We go on Princess because My husband likes it. As for a recommendation....my kids -ages 19-29 - and I love NCL. It is our favorite line.

Carnival not so much, Royal - No. Everyone has their favorite feel I guess, I know my husband would not like NCL, Carnival, or Royal. I personally don't care how many kids are on a ship, they don't bother me so I prefer them to Princess.