Safety Problem/Concern with GUARANTEE cabin

lcds1

Booked guarantee last week for Royal in April. Got our cabin today and for fun read some reviews of it, It has bunk beds an d people who have been in it say getting in and out of the lower bed ifffff they make it into queen you hit your head. Or they had to climb over the end to get out.D529.

My DH is 80. Gets up lots at night. Just getting out of rehab from breaking his femur in January.

I know guar is what you get you get. Have used it many times. This truly is a safety concern.

Who do I contact-TA or Princess. Id like to take care of it today. TA is not open on Sundays.

Advice, please.

Thanks.

So there are 3 of you in the room? Because if there are only 2 of you, the bunks would be in the ceiling and you'd never see them. You can have the two beds as twins or pushed together to make a queen.

It is unlikely that Princess will do anything without going thru your TA, but it doesn't hurt to call them and try.

I am assuming there are only two of you in the room. If so, the spare bunks will be folded up. For you to be concerned, presumably you have checked that the cabin is one with fold-up (Pullman) beds, not the ones that disappear into the ceiling. The Pullman beds extend about 6 inches. If the main bed is made up as a Queen size, this protrusion on the wall makes it rather difficult to walk down the sides of the bed to get in. I prefer the beds as singles, leaving a large useable space in the middle of the room. However, when you sit up to get out of bed, take care to more towards the edge of the bed so you don't bump your head. :D

D529 is an inside cabin which usually has upper bunks protruding from the sides over the lower twin bunk beds.

We had such a configuration one time for 2 passengers & would never repeat that mistake again.

We did the same thing as Aus Traveller which was the better option for us.

Hopefully there’s a solution for the OP but that might not be possible.

If there’s another cabin available in the same category or lower, you can ask to be changed.

My advice is to book a specific cabin the next time. You’re not saving much of anything by booking a Guarantee and it’s hard to complain when you are assigned a cabin as you give Princess the right to choose one for you.

The only reason anyone would have to "climb over the end" to get out of bed is if the lower beds were pushed together as a queen while the upper berths were lowered and in use. Which generally is not permitted in inside quad cabins if there are more than two passengers; likely the occupants who wrote that review had to "persuade" the steward to do so--and paid for it in more ways than one.

Whether or not your TA is successful in switching your cabin it would be wise to have the beds in twin configuration which should be much easier on your husband. Leaves much more space in the middle of the room than the small spaces on either side of the queen bed.

ETA: unlikely you will be able to solve this before Monday, as you booked through a TA who must be the one submitting the request for cabin change. And I wouldn't bother with calling Princess weekends or late evenings (after 6 or 6:30 PM Pacific Time) as the hold times can be tortuous and the possibility of a new or outsourced/temp rep (and no supervisor to transfer to) makes it not worth the effort anyway.

Edited by fishywood

We've had cabins with the extra berths protruding from the walls. They are a pain but you get used to it after hitting your head (or in our case, shoulders) against them a few times. The alternative is to have the beds set up in the single configuration so that you're not forced to walk near the walls where the bed protrude.

Switch if you can.

If you have your beds in the queen configuration you can hit your head/shoulder when standing up at the side of the bed.

If you have your beds in the twin configuration, you can hit your head/shoulder if you sit up while under the protrusion.