Will i have security problem?

Hello,

18 days ago I had surgery- a 2 level anterior cervical discectomy and fusion...which means I have titanium screws in my ceverical spine but they also had to do two level fusion which means I have PEEK (polyetheretherketone) cages for the allograft implants that were done.

The hospital did give me an allograft implant record/paper with the device number but my question, will I have a problem going through security with these implants, does anybody know?

Hello,

18 days ago I had surgery- a 2 level anterior cervical discectomy and fusion...which means I have titanium screws in my ceverical spine but they also had to do two level fusion which means I have PEEK (polyetheretherketone) cages for the allograft implants that were done.

The hospital did give me an allograft implant record/paper with the device number but my question, will I have a problem going through security with these implants, does anybody know?

I have had open heart surgery so I have wires tieing my sternum back together. I have been on quite a few cruises since and never have an issue. If they do want me for whatever, it will read the wires. They usually know what it is due to the location. Have a good time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have a pacemaker/defib implant and I have a card, since I can't go through the magnetic metal detectors. I've never had to show the card. As soon as I say I have a pacemaker, they motion me to the side and I have a pat down on the ships. In airports, they have the full body scan which is fine by me. I have to say that the first time I went on a cruise after having the implant, my family was very worried that I would be treated rudely or suspiciously. They were, without exception, extremely professional and courteous. It didn't even slow the process down for my family to get through security. They're fabulous and you have nothing to worry about. I would tell them ahead of time so they know what might cause an alert. The only place I've ever had a problem is at our local courthouse, where they keep trying to get me to go through the magnetic detectors so they don't have to get up out of their chairs.

I have a friend who has a metal plate in his head. He keeps a card from his doctor in his wallet, which explains this problem to anyone who might think he's trying to sneak something through a metal detector. I know he's flown (and cruised) multiple times since his surgery, so I suppose the card has worked.

I'd think this is an unusual situation, but one with which security people would be familiar.

I have 2 rather large screws holding my right leg together - most times the metal detectors don't pick them up, but sometimes they do. I have no documentation for them, I just explain I have the screws, they zip a wand over me and off I go.

If you only have little screws, you should be fine, they probably won't even get picked up 😊

We just took our first cruise since I had a total knee replacement last year. I think it's a good practice before you step through the metal detector to tell the security officer that you have implants and may set off their device. They motion you through, and if the device goes off, they either wand you or you get a pat down.

In any event, travelers setting off metal detectors because of implants in their bodies is a pretty common thing. Just leave yourself a little more time, AND if you are traveling with someone else, be sure he/she goes through security in front of you and then grabs the stuff you sent through the X-ray machine after him/her, in case you are pulled aside for wanding or a pat down.

BTW: I have a card from my surgeon as well, but I really don't think having that stuff matters at all, as they can so easily be forged.

ever seen the size of the chunk of metal that is a total hip replacement

one time in 10 a metal detector goes off .... at most.

usually if I mention the implant they tell me to go thru anyway ....

Had hip replacement August 2017 and been on 3 cruises since and not once did detector go off. You will be fine.

I also asked my surgeon about card detailing implant for security. He said they do not give them anymore since it can be duplicated from internet.

I broke my foot first night on Brilliance in December. The rest of that cruise I was in a wheel chair, including the next two cruises after that. Oh joy, eh?

My sweet DH still wheeled me off the ship in every port...bless his heart, but on return had to go through security each time. They simply waved me aside and did the hand pat...no big deal and got to laugh about it with the security lady each time.

Enjoy your cruise. Good for you...nothing keeps us down. :D

Hello,

Of course if they are doing their job. You get hand scanned and a couple questions and then you're done. No big deal.

I have a friend who has a metal plate in his head. He keeps a card from his doctor in his wallet, which explains this problem to anyone who might think he's trying to sneak something through a metal detector. I know he's flown (and cruised) multiple times since his surgery, so I suppose the card has worked.

I'd think this is an unusual situation, but one with which security people would be familiar.

The card being shown to anyone at a check point has no effect on speed getting through. You get the going over whether you have such a document or not

Thanks Bob, I will also carry the certificate of my hardware lol

I also have to bring an electrical stimulator that I have to wear four hours daily for 8 months, it doesn't look good if you know what I am talking about kind of looks like something authorities will run up to me to check out lol....but I gather they seen it before I hope lol.

I also have plates that the screws are in, so there is a bit of hardware. THANK YOU EVERYBODY!

I have just about the same in my back, L 3,4,5 and S 1. I never ring going through security either airport or cruise terminals. My DH has a total hip and rings every time, just needs to be hand wand or patted down and we are on our way.

You'll be fine...enjoy your cruise!

I have a cochlear implant. It shows up on the security scan but it doesn't set it off. Sometimes they'll do the hand wand, sometimes not. Was a little more interesting experience back when cochlear implants weren't common knowledge though.

ever seen the size of the chunk of metal that is a total hip replacement

one time in 10 a metal detector goes off .... at most.

usually if I mention the implant they tell me to go thru anyway ....

I have had 2 x hip replacements - but, as a 'young man' (according to the surgeon), I had ceramic replacements that are more durable. However, the metal pins set every scanner (ship/airport/shop security ...) off. Pat down and a grope on each occasion - and never so much as a bunch of flowers beforehand :D

MY lower right leg is full of titanium. I have a rod inside the bone, 2 screws at the top and 2 at the bottom to keep it in place, a plate on the outside of my ankle with 6 screws and a pin on the inside of my ankle. I have flown many times and cruised many times since that happened. I have never had any problems with security at the airport or cruise terminal. I have never flown outside the US so I am not sure about airports in other countries.

I have a cochlear implant. It shows up on the security scan but it doesn't set it off. Sometimes they'll do the hand wand, sometimes not. Was a little more interesting experience back when cochlear implants weren't common knowledge though.

Were you completely deaf when you got it? I had read it was very difficult to become accustom to noise.