Princess OM — No compensation for their failure.

Cruzer1001

I am afraid you are wrong about this. Princess just changed the website overnight and the cruises prior to April 15th were and still are shown as “Ocean Medallion Preview” while the April 15th transatlantic and beyond bore an “Ocean Medallion Vacation” banner until overnight March7/8. Also, Princess themselves has said that while they were compensating “Preview” passengers for the ***** failure, that a “corporate decision” was made to not provide any compensation to “Vacation” passengers as they had never specifically told passengers that the ***** program would ever be functional. This decision came after they had already compensated some April 15th passengers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am not wrong about the earlier cruises because I was on one of them. Every single cruise since mid November 2017 which was the start date was sold as Ocean Medallion Vacation. When I booked my 12/3/17 Regal Princess sailing we were an "Ocean Medallion Vacation Sailing". They had that banner up on the pages. Even after people found they didn't have the medallions, the banner was still up on the Princess website. There was a lag until Princess went in and changed the wording to "Ocean Medallion Preview" and it was LONG after the fact. Everyone was past final payment date. Like you, we all booked an Ocean Medallion Vacation sailing.

I realize that you are very disappointed. Many went through the same thing and many people that were sailing on any sailings were not compensated because they didn't know that they could be. If you belonged to Cruise Critic, you found out there were issues and people were being compensated. People were proactive and called.

Try calling again and lodge the fact that you are very disappointed. Let them know that you are aware that many were given OBC. Princess may have decided to stop the flow of OBC and those who called prior to the cut off date were given some and others have not. You can only try calling again.

I'm on the same transatlantic on April 15 to Copenhagen and just got off the phone with Princess Customer Relations. We booked in September and were given $100 onboard credit per person. Thanks a lot for telling me- I didn't even know this was available!

I understand your disappointment, but if you booked after 12/1/2017, then I can understand not getting any OBC for the ***** situation. If I were in business, I would have done what Princess has done too. Give OBC until the dust settled and then determine a date when people could have, should have known about the ***** mess prior to any bookings and therefore no more OBC given out. They had to put a stop sometime and it seems they have done so. Now, if you booked before the above date, definitely call on your own and mention how long ago you booked; your disappointment; being an avid CC member; but be very polite. I did this for two future cruises and got OBC as I had booked them so early when the ***** was really being advertised and before they realized their problems instituting it on the Regal.

Have a great cruise. You will enjoy yourself if you let yourself.

Pooh

Yes, depending on when you booked is important . Booking after the announcement of it not being ready , should not qualify you for OBC.

Also , when calling , don't ask for compensation.

Just mention that you heard that the ***** won't be ready for your cruise and you are disappointed.

Worked for me . Again don't ask for or worse demand OBC.

I understand your disappointment, but if you booked after 12/1/2017, then I can understand not getting any OBC for the ***** situation. If I were in business, I would have done what Princess has done too. Give OBC until the dust settled and then determine a date when people could have, should have known about the ***** mess prior to any bookings and therefore no more OBC given out. They had to put a stop sometime and it seems they have done so. Now, if you booked before the above date, definitely call on your own and mention how long ago you booked; your disappointment; being an avid CC member; but be very polite. I did this for two future cruises and got OBC as I had booked them so early when the ***** was really being advertised and before they realized their problems instituting it on the Regal.

Have a great cruise. You will enjoy yourself if you let yourself.

Pooh

I guess you missed posts #15 and #17.

I am not wrong about the earlier cruises because I was on one of them. Every single cruise since mid November 2017 which was the start date was sold as Ocean Medallion Vacation. When I booked my 12/3/17 Regal Princess sailing we were an "Ocean Medallion Vacation Sailing". They had that banner up on the pages. Even after people found they didn't have the medallions, the banner was still up on the Princess website. There was a lag until Princess went in and changed the wording to "Ocean Medallion Preview" and it was LONG after the fact. Everyone was past final payment date. Like you, we all booked an Ocean Medallion Vacation sailing.

I realize that you are very disappointed. Many went through the same thing and many people that were sailing on any sailings were not compensated because they didn't know that they could be. If you belonged to Cruise Critic, you found out there were issues and people were being compensated. People were proactive and called.

Try calling again and lodge the fact that you are very disappointed. Let them know that you are aware that many were given OBC. Princess may have decided to stop the flow of OBC and those who called prior to the cut off date were given some and others have not. You can only try calling again.

You must have been using a different Princess website because we booked in September of 2017 and at that time the April 15th transatlantic was the very first “Ocean Medallion Vacation”. Cruises before that date were bannered “Ocean Medallion Preview”.

Last night Princess changed the banner on the April 15th sailing to ***** Preview.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry, outside the US dates are shown YY/MM/DD so that computers can easily sort them. The date is April 15th 2018, a little more than five weeks from now. The note from Princess simply states that a “corporate decision” was made to not compensate Ocean Medallion Vacation passengers in spite of their compensating Ocean Medallion Preview passengers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Nope...in Canada it is normally DD/MM/YYYY.....in the US it is normally MM/DD/YYYY

Don't know of any place where it is YY/MM/DD....useless it is a Haweater useage

You must have been using a different Princess website because we booked in September of 2017 and at that time the April 15th transatlantic was the very first “Ocean Medallion Vacation”. Cruises before that date were bannered “Ocean Medallion Preview”.

Last night Princess changed the banner on the April 15th sailing to ***** Preview.

I spoke with two different people (agent & supervisor) at Princess minutes ago and they give the impression that anyone who has said they are receiving any compensation for the ***** failure on this cruise is lying. They confirmed that the previous Preview cruises were compensated but that they have decided that those people who booked the Regal’s premier Vacation cruise do not deserve consideration.

I spoke with two different people (agent & supervisor) at Princess minutes ago and they give the impression that anyone who has said they are receiving any compensation for the ***** failure on this cruise is lying. They confirmed that the previous Preview cruises were compensated but that they have decided that those people who booked the Regal’s premier Vacation cruise do not deserve consideration.

That's not true. If you have a way I can contact you outside of CC (maybe by email?), I can show you that I received OBC for this cruise.

That's not true. If you have a way I can contact you outside of CC (maybe by email?), I can show you that I received OBC for this cruise.

I don’t doubt you in the least and am not asking for any corroboration from you. I am just providing the information I received minutes ago from Princess Customer Service. I believe that the staff at Princess are both lying and concealing facts but I have no interest in arguing with them. They have shown me what they think of their clientele and as I said when I started this discussion it has been a learning experience.

I called earlier today and got a similar message regarding a cruise in late April....I was told that I had a chance to change earlier in the year to a different cruise and that they are no longer offering any OBC for Regal cruises regarding *****?

No, booked through Princess. I'm not sure why you doubt those of us who have posted that when we booked our fall cruises, the banner was Ocean Medallion Vacation. I guess it was at some point in September when they changed them. I can assure you that mid November was to be the first Ocean Medallion Sailing not preview. The first Ocean Medallion Sailing was due to be November 15th. If you do a search you will see that everyone was upset that we all booked the Ocean Medallion Vacation and that the Princess website still had the Ocean Medallion banner on it.

If you search the threads you will find everyone being being told and being upset.

Why do you think everyone got the OBC, because they were sold as Ocean Medallion Voyages not Ocean Medallion Previews?!! Voljeep actually canceled his sailings because he booked ***** and instead got Ocean preview!

Edited by Host CJSKIDS

One universal fix when told no by a Princess Rep is to say goodby, hangup and call again getting another rep. My last cruise on the Regal took me 3 tries till I got my OBC for the ***** issues. The quality of their reps very widely.

Good Luck

framer

Nope...in Canada it is normally DD/MM/YYYY.....in the US it is normally MM/DD/YYYY

Don't know of any place where it is YY/MM/DD....useless it is a Haweater useage

YYYY-MM-DD is used by a number of industries in Canada. It is an ISO standard.

OMG! Poor baby. You are going to be "forced" to insert your cruise card into your cabin door lock, and actually turn on the lights! That should be worth thousands of dollars in compensation! We think Not. But we do blame Princess for this entire issue, which is of their own making. A brilliant marketing plan that took a gadget (the *****) primarily intended to help the cruise line track the habits of their passengers (and market accordingly)..and convinced passengers that this was like the 2nd coming on cruise ships. Go figure.

Hank

I think to say this is unfair. I understand OP's position - ***** has been an unmitigated disaster, Princess still heavily markets it, and then tells you afterwards you can't have it. Add to that that others are being compensated, and he is not. Why Princess would want to give this kind of impression to a first time Princess cruiser is beyond me.

I also understand Princess' position, that they are bleeding money over this disaster and have to stop with the OBC, but if that's the case, they should stop advertising current cruises as ***** and just promote ***** generally. That's my take.

OMG! Poor baby. You are going to be "forced" to insert your cruise card into your cabin door lock, and actually turn on the lights! That should be worth thousands of dollars in compensation! We think Not. But we do blame Princess for this entire issue, which is of their own making. A brilliant marketing plan that took a gadget (the *****) primarily intended to help the cruise line track the habits of their passengers (and market accordingly)..and convinced passengers that this was like the 2nd coming on cruise ships. Go figure.

Hank

Way to miss the whole point. Most of us don’t care whether we have a card or a fob however we don’t like dealing with and giving our money to companies which lie to us about what we are getting and then lie to us about what they are doing about it not to mention hiding the ***** failure from their customers. Until they finally sent out the email last week advising that the April 15th cruise had been reduced to a Preview, they refused to answer questions.

Enjoy the shows onboard; I hear Princess is promising Glen Campbell and Jack Benny live on-stage. Hope you won’t be disappointed.

It looks like when the first person called complaining that the medallion system was not or would not be ready for their cruise, Princess made a GIANT mistake by granting him/her some OBC in order to get him/her off the phone.

Of course, that person couldn't just take the OBC and shut up. He/she had to come over here to Cruise Critic and wave it around, Naturally, others realized that they had also been wronged and started calling.

Finally, somebody in Princess management asked, "Why are we giving away this money? Stop it, and stop it, now."

To those who felt that they were lied to, I have to point out that American courts are pretty liberal when evaluating marketing hyperbole in advertisements. Yes, I am aware of Truth in Advertising laws, but I think anyone would be hard pressed to prove in a court of law how they were damaged--and they can quantify that damage--by getting a magnetic card instead of a medallion when they went on their cruise. Your best recourse, and I think this is quite reasonable, is to not do business with Princess in the future.

We called our vacation planner at Princess today and asked about OBC, since we booked a cruise on the Regal for Oct. 2018 and on the Island for Nov. 2018. Both of those are still advertised as Ocean Medallion vacations.

We booked both those cruises last November, just before the "3 for Free" promotion expired.

The travel planner told us no, Princess was not giving any more OBC for cruises marked with the Ocean Medallion banner, even though it may not be available. My husband called, and he said that she sounded pretty definite.

We did receive an email from Princess in December, explaining the the medallion program was delayed and that it was questionable if cruise marked for the medallion would have those available. It was like a advisement memo, so that people who put down deposits on medallion cruises could cancel their deposit if they so wished. - EBC

I’m on the same cruise booked June, 2017...no compensation. I get your point and definitely agree. Have two future cruises booked, with family, so we can’t cancel. We will try Celebrity and Oceania....and who knows may end up back with Princess. The BAD list of sailing with Princess is getting long. I

We wii have a great TA Cruise we will make it great, we always do:)

So, to continue my message from just above, it looks as if Princess continues to advertise cruises for next autumn as Ocean Medallion Vacations, but they really are not sure when the medallion service will become available.

Wouldn't it be better to avoid mentioning medallion service on a particular cruise until Princess was certain it would be available? I would certainly think so. JMO. -- EBC

It looks like when the first person called complaining that the medallion system was not or would not be ready for their cruise, Princess made a GIANT mistake by granting him/her some OBC in order to get him/her off the phone.

Of course, that person couldn't just take the OBC and shut up. He/she had to come over here to Cruise Critic and wave it around, Naturally, others realized that they had also been wronged and started calling.

Finally, somebody in Princess management asked, "Why are we giving away this money? Stop it, and stop it, now."

Yep. Pretty sure that's exactly what happened. My husband said that when he called Princess today and politely asked, the travel planner sounded defensive and firmly replied, "No, we just cannot do that.."

Princess did send an email last December advising passengers with medallion bookings that the medallion may not be available, so I guess that was their "fair warning letter" to everyone.

what are the odds that ***** will be 100% ready for my cruise October? i am going to guess it will be still be a ***** preview cruise with only a few hundred cabins with the *****

Why would Princess care? They sell you on its availability. They stonewall with zero information for six months and then say too bad you get nothing. Zero incentive to install any more pads. You are paying for it and they can fail to deliver with no consequence.