Ten-Day "Mediterranean Dream" Itinerary

stickey_mouse

Thank you!

I wonder if this is still possible? and am aware that this is offered for arranged cruise-ship excursions.

All solo independent passengers have to go thru the docking area below Fira.

I will def. try to find current info on these excursions.

Just to clarify, this was the only one of the HAL excursions to be picked up at the alternate tender area. At least, this was the case then.

I believe this was the tour: https://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-destinations/ExcursionDetails.action?excursionCode=3619&portCode=JTR&destCode=E&requestSource=shoreExcursionshttps://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-destinations/ExcursionDetails.action?excursionCode=3619&portCode=JTR&destCode=E&requestSource=shoreExcursions

Note that it says that it begins and ends at the Athinios Port.

When we were in Santorini in 2013, we booked a HAL excursion in which the tender went to another tender landing area (the old port?). The bus was able to drive down to this area so we got a bus ride from and back to the tender. We did not do the cable car, donkeys or walk the donkey path. The tour was around the island, wine tasting and free time in Oia. It's perfect for those who are unable to do the cable car, etc. So there might be another option for you, if you don't mind booking a ship tour.

The only problem is that they will need to use the cable car (unless they prefer walking or the donkeys) to get down to the tender at the end of their tour.

Hank

On one of our visits to Santorini, I think we tendered in and took the cable car up, but then we were delivered in our bus right back to the ship, which had docked - would it have been outside of the caldera? And last time we were there, we visited the red sand beach, a black sand beach, Oia and another town, and last, but definitely not least the amazing archaeological site of Akrotiri.

I wonder if there is a way to find out ahead of time if the ship will be docked.

I take it back - I went and checked my photos, and the place we tendered in and then docked was Mykonos, not Santorini - senior moment!

Edited by Vict0riann

This might be a silly question, but is there much to see while sailing? I'm not expecting to be as landlocked as our trip to Alaska, but I'm hoping for some scenery. I've read that the sail-in to Montenegro is beautiful. What about while sailing among the Greek ports?

The only problem is that they will need to use the cable car (unless they prefer walking or the donkeys) to get down to the tender at the end of their tour.

Hank

Not the tour we did, which is why I mentioned it. It was a bus ride to and from the tender area.

I do think that this tour is still on that company's web site.

That would be wonderful!!!! IF, they would revamp the tour.

It is only 3 1/2 hours, and seems most all of it is sitting on that bus, and at the winery.

I want to see Santorini and spend some leisure time at Oia!!!

I wonder if it is so short because they do a morning and an afternoon tour.

If one wanted to spend the bucks, maybe they would be allowed to book both... and spend the afternoon at Oia, returning with the afternoon group? Man, that would be $$$$.

This might be a silly question, but is there much to see while sailing? I'm not expecting to be as landlocked as our trip to Alaska, but I'm hoping for some scenery. I've read that the sail-in to Montenegro is beautiful. What about while sailing among the Greek ports?

Not sure if you'll get to do this, but on our Mediterranean Romance sailing the Captain took us by Stromboli at dusk. It was very active that evening so lots of cheers all around every time it erupted.

Rome-Dubrovnik-Corfu-Katakolon-Athens-Santorini-Naples-Rome

Fall of 2018 or 2019, on the Koningsdam or Nieuw Statendam

Any thoughts on this itinerary? Has anyone done this cruise or one like it?

We did similar cruise on Koningsdam in April '17 but it was a 15 day cruise then. Still had only 2 sea days (plus overnight in Athens).

We also did a similar 12 day cruise on Oosterdam at the end of September '16 and it was a 12 day with 2 sea days.

Preferred the weather in September but preferred the Koningsdam as the ship. (actually just back from 17 days on her in Caribbean :D).

Two sea days in 10 seems more than adequate. The sail in and sail out of Santorini is spectacular. Also the sail away from Naples is nice.

We did similar cruise on Koningsdam in April '17 but it was a 15 day cruise then. Still had only 2 sea days (plus overnight in Athens).

We also did a similar 12 day cruise on Oosterdam at the end of September '16 and it was a 12 day with 2 sea days.

Preferred the weather in September but preferred the Koningsdam as the ship. (actually just back from 17 days on her in Caribbean :D).

Two sea days in 10 seems more than adequate. The sail in and sail out of Santorini is spectacular. Also the sail away from Naples is nice.

Thanks for your comment! How were the rooms on the Koningsdam compared to the Oosterdam? Were they noticeably smaller? Also, because Europe is so port-extensive, was it more difficult to get into the later shows in the main theater on the Koningsdam? And what else made you prefer the Koningsdam?

Thanks for your comment! How were the rooms on the Koningsdam compared to the Oosterdam? Were they noticeably smaller? Also, because Europe is so port-extensive, was it more difficult to get into the later shows in the main theater on the Koningsdam? And what else made you prefer the Koningsdam?

Really can't comment on room size as we had a Signature Suite on O'dam and an Aft Vista suite on K'dam. The Vista suite on K'dam is considerably smaller than the Signature on O'dam, but the pricing tends to reflect this. The space in the vista was more than adequate for the two of us and the shower (shower only) was outstanding. Pressure and temp control was amazing.

I liked the brighter colours on K'dam. Corridors were carpeted in light colours and walls were lighter - gave impression of more space. The narrower Promenade deck walking space was almost irrelevant in a port intensive cruise.

We are not 'Show People' and probably didn't try to go to any of the shows. We prefer a slow dinner with lots of conversation and then a dance in Queen's Lounge with BBKing band.

Really can't comment on room size as we had a Signature Suite on O'dam and an Aft Vista suite on K'dam. The Vista suite on K'dam is considerably smaller than the Signature on O'dam, but the pricing tends to reflect this. The space in the vista was more than adequate for the two of us and the shower (shower only) was outstanding. Pressure and temp control was amazing.

I liked the brighter colours on K'dam. Corridors were carpeted in light colours and walls were lighter - gave impression of more space. The narrower Promenade deck walking space was almost irrelevant in a port intensive cruise.

We are not 'Show People' and probably didn't try to go to any of the shows. We prefer a slow dinner with lots of conversation and then a dance in Queen's Lounge with BBKing band.

Much appreciated!

We are leaving Rome on April 21 doing Mediterranean Mosaic, so I loved hearing about these places.

We are doing boat to Capri from Naples since weve been in the area before.

I have not booked for Olympia yet.

I have a full day Athens tour set up

I am hoping we are beating the summer crowds and intense heat.

We are also very interested in this one, in late Sept!

The big pluses, on a short trip... both Rome and Athens.

Santorini is a big thing for me. We have never seen Greece, or Santorini. So to have this on the itinerary is like a must.

I am just working on a way a round the cable cars. Even most all cruise ship excursions just leave you up in Fira, maybe with a ticket to ride the cars back down. I am hoping, just maybe, a private excursion can offer some way to take the Water Taxi to the port below Oia and also back.

I am wondering which port in Italy would be best, as the only port, besides outside of Rome.

How is Naples? I might be interested in the Amalfi Coast. This would go to Positano, rigiht...

Dubrovnik looks very interesting and quaint! I never knew much about it, but then have seen it on film and in TV, like when The Bachelor show went there! Hahahaha!!!

Corfu and Katakolon don't seem to hold as much appeal???

I would be very interested in thoughts about itinerary, for somebody who has never seen Europe, Italy, Greece, before.

This area of the Mediterranean has interested me the most.

The Koningsdam and the Nieuw Amsterdam will be sister ships, right?

I think they are considered Mid-sized.

The deck plans seem to show that the Verandah staterooms on both ships start at 228 sq. feet... with some balconies being larger.

We are used to Princess... and would miss some things about the newer Princess ships.

But, they don't seem to offer this type of itinerary... The Royal Princess seems to be doing the Northern Europe cruises.

I am seeing the new Celebrity Edge... But, it is, well, 'different'... less traditional than Princess and HAL. And, their itinerary seems to cost more.

The Koningsdam and the Nieuw Amsterdam will be sister ships, right?

I think they are considered Mid-sized.

The deck plans seem to show that the Verandah staterooms on both ships start at 228 sq. feet... with some balconies being larger.

We are used to Princess... and would miss some things about the newer Princess ships.

But, they don't seem to offer this type of itinerary... The Royal Princess seems to be doing the Northern Europe cruises.

I am seeing the new Celebrity Edge... But, it is, well, 'different'... less traditional than Princess and HAL. And, their itinerary seems to cost more.

New Statendam, not Amsterdam.

If the price and itinerary were the same on the Edge, I would honestly probably book that ship. However, I think I slightly prefer the Nieuw Statendam's itinerary, and the Edge is commanding hefty prices due to its anticipation. Celebrity is an outstanding product, and the new ship looks quite interesting. Time will tell if they got it right or wrong with the new design.

Of the ports listed, a few stand out...Climbing to the summit of Mt. Vesuvius, on Father's Day, with my son. And buying some really awesome wine grown on the slopes. And, walking in the footsteps of Aristotle and Plato, on the summit of the Acropolis (wear shoes with treads, as parts are worn slick over the millennia). For Athens, look for something called Tom's Port Guides - we paid 4E for a bus from the port to the foot of the Acropolis, and it included metro fare back to the port.